Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 06:00 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times

Advertisements

Hi!
This morning I noticed on my 3 yo son, a ball behind his left ear. It's not huge, but I noticed it visually and I then I felt it. I didn't it feel it behind his right ear. I showed it to my DH and he thinks it's just an enlarged lymph note.
Has anyone else noticed this on their children before?
I'm one of those paranoid freaks, so I will be calling our pedi, but wanted to know an input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 06:24 AM

893 posts, read 791,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Hi!
This morning I noticed on my 3 yo son, a ball behind his left ear. It's not huge, but I noticed it visually and I then I felt it. I didn't it feel it behind his right ear. I showed it to my DH and he thinks it's just an enlarged lymph note.
Has anyone else noticed this on their children before?
I'm one of those paranoid freaks, so I will be calling our pedi, but wanted to know an input.
yes they are common

Old 07-03-2008, 06:58 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
yes they are common
I went through a course of amoxycillin to get rid of the lump I had behind my ear. It wasn't that big a deal. Now, the lump that developed in the middle of my neck, above my thyroid, was. The doctor thought it was probably from a gum infection that had drained and tried to zap it with drugs to no avail. It wasn't hurting anything but was ugly as hell - on my thin neck it looked like a goiter. It had to be cut out. I now have a very interesting scar across my throat. When people ask about it, I relate a vague tale of waking from a sound sleep to see my husband poised over me with a butcher knife. I then trail off with an even vaguer ending about it "being a close call .... he's doing 10 years ...." and watch their eyes get huge

Old 07-03-2008, 07:23 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
It's probably a lymph node and more than likely NOTHING is wrong. I've had an enlarged lymph node on one side of my neck for 20+ years. These are very common findings.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:37 AM

Okay guys, thanks for reply so far.
I really need to relax and calm down. I can't be freaking out for every little thing, he is only 3!
Your posts made me feel better.

If anyone else have any input, I will appreciate it.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
I went through a course of amoxycillin to get rid of the lump I had behind my ear. It wasn't that big a deal. Now, the lump that developed in the middle of my neck, above my thyroid, was. The doctor thought it was probably from a gum infection that had drained and tried to zap it with drugs to no avail. It wasn't hurting anything but was ugly as hell - on my thin neck it looked like a goiter. It had to be cut out. I now have a very interesting scar across my throat. When people ask about it, I relate a vague tale of waking from a sound sleep to see my husband poised over me with a butcher knife. I then trail off with an even vaguer ending about it "being a close call .... he's doing 10 years ...." and watch their eyes get huge
I appreciate the sense of humor...that was actually really funny.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:48 AM

407 posts, read 1,736,338 times
Is your son running any kind of a fever? Is the lump sore or tender? When my daughter was around 4 both of the lymph nodes in her neck got swollen with the right one being extremely swollen. She was also running a low fever. We were on vacation but I called the Ped's office anyway. They said to take her to a doctor. Long story short, she had strep throat. After treatment the swelling reduced but the right lymph node was visible for years. They told me that it was scared due to the infection and might never return to normal. She's 14 now and the lymph node looks completely normal. Call your doctor if you're concerned especially if he has a fever.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen_jane View Post
Is your son running any kind of a fever? Is the lump sore or tender? When my daughter was around 4 both of the lymph nodes in her neck got swollen with the right one being extremely swollen. She was also running a low fever. We were on vacation but I called the Ped's office anyway. They said to take her to a doctor. Long story short, she had strep throat. After treatment the swelling reduced but the right lymph node was visible for years. They told me that it was scared due to the infection and might never return to normal. She's 14 now and the lymph node looks completely normal. Call your doctor if you're concerned especially if he has a fever.
All good questions. I didn't notice a fever on him this morning! Algthough he had an unexplained fever about a week ago that went away fast. He also has some rash spots on his arms.
It doesn't seem like the lump is tender, I wonder how long this lump was there before I noticed it.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:05 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times
How big is the lump? Has he had a cold or some kind of drainage?? I am sure it is a lymph node...My dd had a very swollen node behind her ear and it lasted for months even after meds. Normal... Try not to worry momma! ((((hugs))))

Old 07-03-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
How big is the lump? Has he had a cold or some kind of drainage?? I am sure it is a lymph node...My dd had a very swollen node behind her ear and it lasted for months even after meds. Normal... Try not to worry momma! ((((hugs))))
It's about a size of a quarter, but doesn't seem like he is in pain or has a cold, although he just got over a cold.
When your DD had the swollen node, was it because of a cold/virus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness