Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 09:59 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,234,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
I do agree that our children are leading more sedimentary lives...BUT, there are kids (and adults) who are genetically predisposed to having high levels of cholesterol. No exercise or any lifestyle modification is going to change anything.

I disagree, what runs in the family are unhealthy lifestyles and diets, not high cholesterol. And I realize someone that has high cholesterol will jump on me for saying this because their doctor has led them to believe that it's all in their genes, but of course doctors are going to tell people this because that's all they have time for in their 15 minute visit, they have no time or desire to educate you on the real source of the problem, they rather you just pop a pill and tell you to not eat things like eggs, which is another false myth by the way.

Your certainly entitled to your opinion and your not the only one who feels that people are genetically given problems such as cholesterol, but stop and think about this for a second, go back many years ago and children were not dying from cholesterol. So why would they all of a sudden start simply being born with it in recent years?

Eating better, having a more active lifestyle, etc., seemed to work years ago, but I guess now in 2008 no healthy choices will make a difference, they need to put children on a pill in order to survive. It's just another scare tactic from the drug companies who certainly care about our health first and foremost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 07:30 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,938 times
Quote:
I just hope that went you guys and gals do get your info, it's from a decent source, like a medical book, rather than the internet.
That is almost funny since one of my doctors wrote down the name of one condition that I have so I could look it up on the internet and learn about it. It is a little known condition that no one talks about and while he explained to me what it was and how to treat it, I learned a lot more about it from the internet than I did from him.

A guy I work with, his mother had been diagnosed and treated with medication for 2 pertty serious illnesses yet she continued to get worse and worse until she was hospitalized. He went to her house, got all her medications and looked those up on the internet along with those serious contitions she was being treated for. Two of her medications combined at the same time (as she was instructed by her doctor to take them) were deadly and those serious illnesses she had could only be diagnosed with certain tests and they were tests she had never had. He got that information from the Mayo Clinic and printed it out and showed it to her doctor the next day. Those tests were ordered immediately and it turned out she did not have either of them.. But the damage was done with that leathal combination of drugs and she died.

The internet is one of the best tools we have and I can assure you, it has saved many lives and has kept me off of disability. I would be a mindless cripple by now if we didn't have it to search out what side effects other people are having from the same drug I was on.

Medical books have only one side of the story and are written by people with a vested interest in what they say. The internet has both sides of the story and the other side is written by people who have actually experienced it.

(I will be leaving tomorrow and be gone for about a month and will not have internet access so this discussion will have to continue on without me.)

Old 07-15-2008, 09:59 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,551,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
That is almost funny since one of my doctors wrote down the name of one condition that I have so I could look it up on the internet and learn about it. It is a little known condition that no one talks about and while he explained to me what it was and how to treat it, I learned a lot more about it from the internet than I did from him.

A guy I work with, his mother had been diagnosed and treated with medication for 2 pertty serious illnesses yet she continued to get worse and worse until she was hospitalized. He went to her house, got all her medications and looked those up on the internet along with those serious contitions she was being treated for. Two of her medications combined at the same time (as she was instructed by her doctor to take them) were deadly and those serious illnesses she had could only be diagnosed with certain tests and they were tests she had never had. He got that information from the Mayo Clinic and printed it out and showed it to her doctor the next day. Those tests were ordered immediately and it turned out she did not have either of them.. But the damage was done with that leathal combination of drugs and she died.

The internet is one of the best tools we have and I can assure you, it has saved many lives and has kept me off of disability. I would be a mindless cripple by now if we didn't have it to search out what side effects other people are having from the same drug I was on.

Medical books have only one side of the story and are written by people with a vested interest in what they say. The internet has both sides of the story and the other side is written by people who have actually experienced it.

(I will be leaving tomorrow and be gone for about a month and will not have internet access so this discussion will have to continue on without me.)

This is the most untrue thing I have ever read...So now the medical text books used to teach every single med student/resident/fellow/physician are all 'slanted'....If you really think the internet is a more reliable source then medical text books...then I think you are way misinformed about the subject of human health.

I can understand using the internet as a tool to open new doors to investigate further. But I would never take any info to heart that I found on the net. Unless I know FOR SURE who was posting it. ANYONE can start a web page and toss up some info from personal experience... It astounds me you take a personal opinion of a complete stranger to heart moreso then a medical text book that is used to teach people in all fields of healthcare for decades...

Old 07-15-2008, 03:13 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,938 times
May I quote you here Danielle?

Quote:
I understand what your saying. Everyone should be educated on all medical drugs they put into their bodies. It really is not your doctors responsibility. There is no excuse to not know facts about anything anymore...All the info is right at our finger tips...so no need to finger point anymore.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:56 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,551,616 times
And the point of that is?

Old 07-15-2008, 11:24 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,768 times
The point is...you are going off track. This thread is for Statin Drugs for Kids. Not to go back and forth on what is better, the internet or medical books. Get back on subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness