Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 05:29 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times

Advertisements

I have Arthritis in back hip & knees. For the last 6 months I have to get out of bed to roll over. I basicly stay in one position for 2-3 hrs. And getting up is just as painful as trying to turn over. Any one got any ideas on how I can shift in bed without all this up & down. The bed is 3 yrs old!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 06:41 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
Go to a good rheumatologist and let him add medication to your daily routine. You shouldn't be stuck in bed for hours with stiffness! Also they've discovered that if you can reduce inflammation and the stiffness that comes with it, your joints will not deteriorate so rapidly.
He/she may also suggest an exercise routine to keep you moving. Exercising in a pool is helpful. Heck, soaking in a nice warm bath will also help.
Good luck!

Old 07-09-2008, 12:54 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,643,353 times
I agree with seeing a doctor first. As with anything like this, it's always good to get a professional opinion.
As for the stiffness, you mentioned that your bed is only three years old. Depending on your weight / spouses weight, a brand new mattress can't always provide all the support you need. (just a thought).
Im almost 40 and find I have a lot of stiffness after sitting / being still a long period of time. I started doing a lot of stretching in the morning and at night and when I can during the day, it helps to stretch out your muscles, you know when you are in one position all the time and you are not an active person, they get all bunched up.

I also take Glucosomine for joints and I've noticed a big improvement in my stiffness.
Good luck.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:39 PM

No Spouse tho I am fat enough for 2 people. I will try the streches. Wont see my dr for 6 weeks.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:44 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
Reduction in body fat will help you. It releases chemicals that excite inflamation problems. Also the obvious you wont have to be carrying it around.

How do you eat/drink? caffine etc?

Old 07-10-2008, 05:38 AM

What does what I eat have to do with the stiffnes of arthtitis?
Loosing weight would be nice but has nothing to do with the problem.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:24 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
Actually weight does because it stresses the joints and as I mentioned adds to inflamation. Even more so if you are actually at a overweight level. Food affects your body's health. One really bad thing is caffine for your condition. But heres some links:

How Certain Foods May Affect Your Arthritis -

Weight Loss Is Important For Those With Arthritis - Extra Pounds Increase Arthritis Pain

Old 07-11-2008, 02:26 AM

9,722 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Good Luck, Katie!

Good advice in this thread, for all of us. I'm a firm believer in weight loss to promote good health, and less pain and stiffness. With weight loss, comes the ability to gradually work up to some exercise. The complete package will bring great results! We're all in this together!

Old 07-11-2008, 04:11 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
Enriched flour products, wheat gluten, dairy to name a few foods all contribute to stiffness in joints and muscles. Many medications side effects also contribute to it.
And of course like others said, losing weight helps reduce the symptoms. Exercise helps tremendously. You can get a recumbent bike or an upright for $100 or less at places like Walmart or Kmart. Or a gazelle...they are fun and get you moving.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:34 AM

650 posts, read 1,206,901 times
I've been losing weight too--lost 50lbs so far, 20 to go to reach my doctor's recommendation, and that last bit WON'T BUDGE. I'm soooo hungry...Katie believe me I know.

BUT MEANWHILE....
(because losing weight is so slow, and meanwhile you've got this problem)

There are so many wonderful mobility tools out there now: I have fibromyalgia, and the OT gave me her catalogue to look through. One thing is basically just a rope ladder (the sort that people buy as a fire escape, or a treehouse) that ties to the end of your bed and lies along side you. When you want to sit up but can't, you can just grab the ladder and pull yourself up hand-over-hand. There are also rails etc., to help with rolling over or just shifting to a more comfortable position. Healthcare catalogues and shops should have similar things if you can find any local to you, or online.

Even if you could simply tie a rope securely to a bed post or wall, that you could use to pull yourself over, that's something--the hospital had that for me when I had my youngest child by Caesarean. (how high-tech!!)

Another thing I've done for my own comfort is buying a featherbed for on top of the mattress: if that's too expensive, try a few layers of duvets/comforters, which is what I did before. The pressure on your lower back/hips especially will be eased at least, and if your mattress is beginning to wear, it may give back some comfort. YMMV--my mother needed a very hard mattress for comfort, and couldn't stand something soft like a featherbed; but it's just a suggestion.

But anyhow, I hope some of that helped; the diet advice is very good too---my diet is free from gluten, sugar and caffeine (I have sleep problems) and I've cut waaay back on dairy, tomatoes, and a few other things which affected my well-being--I kept a food diary for months trying to see what made me feel better or worse. It's AWFUL because I loooove food...but now when I treat myself to 'forbidden' foods I enjoy them twice as much because they're so rare. And I am feeling much better and healthier.

Finally, is there an Arthritis support group or organisation in your area? Your local library or Yellow Pages or Doctor's office should be able to find you one. I know a lot of people don't like to join groups for whatever reason, but a LOT of folks have arthritis, and can pass on what worked for them, or even be able to pass along some OT/PT equipment they're not using anymore, or might know of grants or assistance you might be entitled to. Couldn't hurt anyhow.

Good luck with everything you try, and take good care of yourself! My legs kill me too on my bad days, so you have my sympathies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness