Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 08:16 PM

267 posts, read 1,289,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLee View Post
I had an arthroscoptic medial meniscectomy on my left knee in 1996 and one on my right knee in 1998 (thanks to a fall off a ladder while cleaning gutters in '96). I was on crutches post op after both of those surgeries for 2-3 weeks, and in PT for about 6 weeks each time.

One more thing: if your knees felt fantastic before surgery, why did you have the surgery in the first place? My knees hurt like crazy pre-op and I tried putting the surgeries off as long as possible.
Folks, for the record I had what health care professionals call a partial meniscectomy. In my thread starter I called that a "trim job." Just thought I'd clear that up.

JenLee, you brought up several interesting points that I'd like to address. And a few questions that deserve an answer. Unfortunately I won't be able to get to all of them tonight. I have some PT work to do on my own here at home before I go to bed, and a few other chores to take care of. But I promise, and trust me when I say this, that I will come back and address your statements and questions one at a time, through out the rest of this week. Also, I met with my PT earlier today. And we discussed the electric shock problem. I'll comment on that discussion later this week when I have more time.

Regarding your medial meniscectomy, isn't a two week dependency on crutches a long time for a meniscectomy? I thought the rule of thumb was 2-3 days of crutch reliance for a meniscectomy and 4-8 weeks of crutch time for a stitch and sew repair job.

To answer your question above, I do (or did, before surgery) a lot of around town walking. Lots of bicycling, too, inparticular twice a week where I would bike it up a steep hill. In early March 2008 I remember commenting to myself how great my knees were feeling. That comment described their condition for a period that included the past several months. So yeah, based on the positive feedback my knees had been giving me, at the time I felt that they were almost bulletproof. On St. Patricks Day (mid-late March 2008) I injured my left knee. A week or two later I had an MRI and the doctor told me that I had some loose cartilage floating around. On June 17, 2008 he did a partial meniscectomy to cut the loose cartilage out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 08:41 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
As each operation is different & each injury & person there is no set time. But IF you get these time frames into your head and something takes longer than what you feel is norm you are setting your self up for an emotional fall. What IS the reason for you to post all these details??

Old 07-15-2008, 10:15 AM

638 posts, read 3,124,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotornot View Post
Regarding your medial meniscectomy, isn't a two week dependency on crutches a long time for a meniscectomy? I thought the rule of thumb was 2-3 days of crutch reliance for a meniscectomy and 4-8 weeks of crutch time for a stitch and sew repair job.

On St. Patricks Day (mid-late March 2008) I injured my left knee. A week or two later I had an MRI and the doctor told me that I had some loose cartilage floating around. On June 17, 2008 he did a partial meniscectomy to cut the loose cartilage out.
I left out several details too for brevity's sake. I fell off a ladder cleaning gutters and had other injuries. I spent the rest of that summer on crutches or in a long leg brace; then had the first knee surgery.

One of my surgeries was a partial meniscectomy too, but I didn't take the time to look up which one it was before my 1st post here (I still haven't done it, but will a bit later and edit this post with that info). I know that my right knee has the exposed bone because it still reminds me when I push it too hard -it hurts.

My surgeries were 10 and 12 years ago; maybe the post-op treatment has changed since then? I was trying to let you know that following your surgeons' and PT post-op plan and not rushing or ignoring things now will help you in the long run.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:48 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
Had a Arthroscopic done on my right knee in late 70's and the left knee in the 90's. Also NO cartilege. Bone on Bone. Standing still kills me. Walking makes a little movement bearible. The stabbing pain is probably due to BONE SPURS which cause the sharp stabbing pain. I also had pictures which showed the rotary drill bit shaving the bone (in color) which I still have to look at once in a while. You will know the weather changes 12-24 hrs in advance by the arthrites ache in the knees. Swelling will be common and difficult for the knee to bend (real hard on stairs) Could go on but most of the items mentioned I've had and more besides. Good luck and be careful as you could be a candidate for a Plastic knee as I am today. Stefhen

Old 07-15-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:

I did have the "electric shock" sensations after surgery on the right knee (which does have exposed bone); but I've learned that there are things that cause problems for me and I try to avoid them. Check with your doctor about the electric shocks: is there a nerve pinched, is that what is causing some of it?
That's great advice. I'll ask my orthopaedic doctor about the potential for a pinched nerve. I go back and see him on 8-8-08. I'm in week two of physical therapy. The physical therapist and I have had several conversations discussing the electric shock. At no time did he mention the possiblity of having a pinched nerve. I find that a little remarkable. I don't know how long he's been a physical therapist, but I do know he's been employed at the clinic I go to for six years. I see the physical therapist on 7-17-08. I'll run it by him and see what he says. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by hotornot; 07-15-2008 at 04:16 PM..

Old 07-15-2008, 04:57 PM

In my case, I have back surgery pending very soon. I also have a pinched nerve on my spine that creates a NUMBNESS in my right thigh/calf/foot wit periods of pain added. I can press on a couple of points on my knee and make a shooting pain reaction in my toes/foot. A pinched nerve can cause numbness whereasa sharp pain could be a bone spur that digs into a flesh area on movement of the knee, which I had. My orthoscopic surgery was done at a orthopedic center and that was their expertise. Had to write three checks for $4k and had the procedure done in 72 hrs. Steve

Old 07-15-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post

Had a Arthroscopic done on my right knee in late 70's and the left knee in the 90's. Also NO cartilege. Bone on Bone. Standing still kills me. Walking makes a little movement bearible. The stabbing pain is probably due to BONE SPURS which cause the sharp stabbing pain. I also had pictures which showed the rotary drill bit shaving the bone (in color) which I still have to look at once in a while. You will know the weather changes 12-24 hrs in advance by the arthrites ache in the knees. Swelling will be common and difficult for the knee to bend (real hard on stairs) Could go on but most of the items mentioned I've had and more besides. Good luck and be careful as you could be a candidate for a Plastic knee as I am today. Stefhen

You got it rough, just like PG77. I'm sorry to hear about your plight. You're right about the possibility of me having to have either a partial or total knee replacement sometime in the future. My physical therapist says I'm too young for a PNR or a TKR. I've still got some time to put in with physical therapy before I deem the operation I had on 7-17-2008 a ineffective. I'll just have to be patient. However, if I get to the point where the electric shock my knee experiences is something I cannot live with, I'm going to have a plan of attack drawn up before I submit to any type of knee replacement. There are several options on the table for me to utilize before I even consider a knee replacement. I'll post that plan of attack in the near future. Maybe it'll give you some options to explore. I won't neglect this thread. I will be back to update it over the course of the next several weeks. Because good health is a priority in my life, even though I might have the odds stacked against me. I say that without any miscalculation, pity or pessimism, as my doctor told me that the odds of a full recovery are, at best, 50/50.

To all others, be it now or anytime in the future, if you have any questions about any of this, fire away, I'll answer them the best I can. Afterall, it's about health, and your health is what it's all about. It's my nature to help people, especially those who are suffering. As of this writing, I am 28 days post-op, in my second week of physical therapy. I'm still trying to walk without a limp. I'm still dealing with the electric shocks. I can't walk very far, maybe a few blocks. Sometimes I need to have a cane with me when I go outside. I'm attending physical therapy twice a week. Today I started doing my PT excercises every hour on the hour from the time I wake up until the time I go to bed, as opposed to doing them two or three times a day. You have great days and dark days. It's schizo, sorta like being in a nuthouse with a roller coaster situated in a seperate area of a mental health ward.

Last edited by hotornot; 07-15-2008 at 06:42 PM..

Old 07-16-2008, 11:45 PM

638 posts, read 3,124,074 times
I did check my old surgical reports last night but couldn't figure out how to edit the previous post. My partial meniscectomy was my right knee.

I suggested that the electric shock sensation might be a pinched nerve mainly because of the way mine felt back then: it was a sudden sharp "zap" that lasted less than a second and then was gone. I have a similar sensation after a nerve was damaged in another surery and is slowly growing back. It could be something else; the surgeon is the one who can tell you what may be causing it.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:

Concerning medications, I would try all of the meds for humans before I'd ever try something for animals. But then again, I'm a nurse. I do use complimentary and alternative medicine; but I would never use something approved only for animals. My sister is a vet and she doesn't use animal drugs for herself or anyone else either.
That's sound reasoning. And I'm not a nurse. But I do know that humans are legally allowed to use Adequan in Europe. And I have read reports on the Internet of people who state that they use it on their body. I would try Adequan, along with several other things, if I was at the point where the doctor said that in order to maintain my lifestyle I would need to have either a partial or full knee replacement or else suffer in pain. I would try it, along with one or two other things. And if they didn't work I'd go with the knee replacement. Equipoise, an anabolic steroid for horses, is another drug that is commonly used by humans, mostly by men (and I would imagine a few women) who seek to add strength and muscle. I'm aware that men have used Equipoise for years without receiving any detrimental side effects.

On another subject, I'll note that as of three or four days ago the electric shocks that I've been experiencing have diminished in both frequency and severity. That in itself is reason for me to jump for joy, and I have, figuratively speaking. But I know that it's much too soon to declare victory and I have since calmed down. Declaring victory over the electric shocks would be kind of like what George Bush did when he was on that aircraft carrier that was sailing out in an ocean near Iraq. It was the first few months after the start of the Iraqi war and it was then that he declared victory, remember? Last week my physical therapist said that I have another month or two of physical therapy ahead of me. I start week three of physical therapy tomorrow on Monday.

Last edited by hotornot; 07-20-2008 at 09:34 PM..

Old 07-20-2008, 10:45 PM

Hotornot.. I have posted some of my similiar problems. You are in SD so your familiar with the VA in La Jolla. Was supposed to have my surgery before the 15th of this month but there is problem with my heart beating irregularly and now extreme low blood pressure with light dizzyness and I cannot walk straight or drive as I'm afraid of an accident. The feeling is worse then being on a drunk. Looking at the TV and this moniter gets distorted in a matter of a couple of minutes without warning. Its a crazy feeling. Hope things get better for you and will let everyone know my results when they happen. There is nothing better then first hand experience to go by then info from a book. Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness