Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 06:21 PM

34 posts, read 380,231 times

Advertisements

I've also had ocular migraines- I get an aura (usually a flash of light, or like a bug flying by) followed by complete loss of vision in one eye. I had one migraine where I could only see black and white wavy lines with both eyes, for about 30 minutes. Scared me!

I tend to get ocular migraines only a few times a year and classic migraines several times a month. Every now and then I get an atypical migraine (according to the doctors) that ends with me fainting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 08:35 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,519,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKel View Post
I've also had ocular migraines- I get an aura (usually a flash of light, or like a bug flying by) followed by complete loss of vision in one eye. I had one migraine where I could only see black and white wavy lines with both eyes, for about 30 minutes. Scared me!

I tend to get ocular migraines only a few times a year and classic migraines several times a month. Every now and then I get an atypical migraine (according to the doctors) that ends with me fainting.

My doctor calls mine silent migraines. They start in the center of my eye and work their way out to the outer edges of the eye and then they go away. I also get migraines two to three times a week some worse then the others.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 10,315 times
I just recently had my first after surgery and ran to the emergency room. After a CAT scan and other tests I was told it was an ocular migraine and that my regular doctor and eye doctor should be told but there is nothing else that can be done.
I had my second last night (5 months later) after being upset over a friends death. Very scary even when you know that is not dangerous. The stress from it wiped me out today. I came upon this site and I was very inspired by ALLFORCATS and your positive uproach on this situation. I wll definitely remember your post should this happen again!
Have a great day everyone!

Old 06-23-2009, 11:09 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
For the first month or so recovering after major surgery I had them nearly every day as an indication that I was overdoing it and needed to rest. I got the squigly rainbow and loss of vision too. No pain.

Since then I've only had one or two occurrences. It can be scary till you find out what it is.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:59 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
Anybody else have optical migraines? The symptoms are an aura that something's about to happen, then over the course of 30 seconds to a minute, the vision in one or both eyes becomes distorted. In my case, it's always my right eye and it's like gray mesh is placed directly over my eye. I can sort of see, but everything is totally distorted. The longest it has lasted is about 15 minutes, but average is about 4-5 minutes. The good news is that there is no pain associated with optical migraines and it's not a precursor to an aneurysm and not caused by a tumor. However, it is VERY disconcerting to suddenly become partially to fully blinded in one eye. THe first time it happened, I thought I was having a stroke. I've had cat scans, MRAs and MRIs and they show nothing, so the doctor told me not to worry.

I'm curious if anybody else has experienced optical migraines.
I've experienced that, but it lasts longer than a few minutes. I've mentioned it to my doc but have never been referred for any tests. I started getting them during my second pregnancy and still get them occasionally.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:54 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
I have migraines with the aura & sometimes just the aura itself. It usually starts in my left eye. Excedrin Migraine works well at relieving them.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:41 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
Just today I read an article on MSNBC about women and migranes, particularly those that experience aura's - they were saying that they caused? lesions on the brain. One study, not sure how big, but you might want to read it,

Old 01-21-2010, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 9,925 times
The 1st time I had this occurrence, I was working on a friends computer and what I saw was what I'll describe as steps from the upper right corner of the monitor to the bottom middle left. This area was about 3 1/2 inches wide and solid black. Above and below was the rainbow colors like when holding a DVD in the light at the right angle to see a multitude of colors, but they were in geometric shapes and moving like the neon lights in Las Vegas move. Some were angled left, right, up, down and all moving. I told my wife and she said her friend just had surgery for a detaching retina and described the same light show. I went to my eye Dr. where my eyes were dilated and I was told that I did indeed have beginning signs of detached retina. I was to inform them of another occurrence where I did about 3 months later. I saw a different Dr. this visit and after dilation once again, I was informed that it was the beginning stages of glaucoma? What the heck! 2 Dr.'s 2 diagnosis. A year later, I had the episode again and saw the Dr. that diagnosed glaucoma andwas then told about the eye migrane and not to worry. I do however because of the inconsistensies. I plan on getting a 3rd opinion. I do lover the colors and each occurrence has been a different shape, but the colors and designs are great. Kind of like doing LSD.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:42 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
Hummmm... I think I have just found out what is going on with me now! For 2 months after cataract surgery, I started seeing wavy lines in the corner of my left eye that started the same day as the surgery. My doctor asked if I had headached afterwards and I did not.

It has been almost a year, those wavy lines have stopped but in my right eye, I am seeing dark spots that somewhat block my vision and I am having low grade headaches often afterwards.. I was thinking my vision was changing or there was a problem with the implants and was thinking about going in to see the doctor..

I did not have this problem before cataract surgery

Old 01-22-2010, 02:11 PM

811 posts, read 1,386,091 times
I have had ocular migraines since I was 12 years old. They are always in my right eye, and always the same. It starts with a pinpoint area in the center of my vision where my focus is off, then moves to the right periphery. It always forms a reverse "C" and is a prism of flashing colors and triangles and lasts 15-20 minutes. A flash of bright light seems to set it off (like a flash of the sun off a car windshield like someone else had mentioned). I rarely get a headache, but do feel tired after it happens. When the pinpoint area starts, I immediately take aspirin, and it seems to have minimized the potential for a headache.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness