Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 09:00 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,170,775 times

Advertisements

I am 5'4 and a half, and weigh 134lbs. I think that I look ok, but would like to loose a little tummy fat. I have weighed between 110 and 120 most of my late teens up into the early 40's and now I have jumped to 134, some do to quitting smoking, I just need to do more walking and make sure I try to eat more fruit and veggies.
I wear between a size 6 and size 7 jeans, if I go above that, it is cut off time for me. I know this is the highest that I would want to weigh. Once I can get past not smoking for a couple of months, then I will give up my soda, since I tried to do both, it didn't work out, because of feeling to sluggish and cranky. I know that I will be able to drop weight off when I cut out my soda intake, since I drink plenty right now.
With my daughter, she is bigger boned then I am, so I have been really watching what she eats, since I don't want her to get over weight, she is 12 and is the same height as I am right now, but weighs more then me. She is a very pretty girl, but she could stand to drop about 15 pounds.
For now I just make sure the junk food doesn't get into the house until we all drop a little weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 11:57 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
I'm only 5 foot two inches so whenever I hit 120, it's time to cut back a bit cause I feel heavy and uncomfortable. Does anyone remember Twiggy from back in the 60s? My how we let her make us feel so fat.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:10 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I'm only 5 foot two inches so whenever I hit 120, it's time to cut back a bit cause I feel heavy and uncomfortable. Does anyone remember Twiggy from back in the 60s? My how we let her make us feel so fat.
And now the kids look at Nicole Ritchie, Lindsay Lohan & Paris Hilton...

Old 01-25-2007, 06:43 PM

850 posts, read 3,157,940 times
Lightbulb Article on Queen Latifah

Hi ya'll! I found this article and had to pass it on. It fits right in with what we have been talking about - the peer pressure, the media - all that stuff. Queen Latifah has said it best (I love her), and I thought you all should read this. I posted the web address, too - in case this is not allowed to be posted. I hope it's okay...it's so important.....if it doesn't post - please go to the site. Great Days Ahead!! KimmieyKY

http://www.dennishensley.com/Latifah.htm

GLAMOUR: You must get a lot of people, fans that come up and say that you’vemade a big difference for them, because you really sort of did it your way, your own thing.

QL: I actually had a guy tell me yesterday, “You know what? You really, really inspire a lot of young women.” And for a guy to come up to you and say that, it just shows that it doesn’t just affect women. It affects the fathers and the brothers that are around these women, and care about them and want them to have self-esteem and confidence in the right things. Just me being, you know, my size and being on TV or being in a movie and succeeding is like, hey, if she can do it, I can do it. I can feel good about myself, because she feels good about herself. Sometimes you need that. I needed it growing up. I didn’t get it too often, because there weren’t a lot of people who looked like me, but luckily my mom and other friends, people along the way gave me that encouragement. But you know, girls really need that because the images that they have to fight with are even worse than what I had to fight with growing up. Everybody is necking on TV and their stomachs are flat, and if you don’t come with that natural genetic tendency, then you’ve got to work for it, and you might not get educated on how to eat properly, or maybe your family can’t afford it or don’t even really know how to feed you in a healthy way. People don’t really consider that when they are putting all of these images out there. Everybody can’t afford to shop at Whole Foods.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:40 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
I am 5'8" and weigh 210. I have lost 50 or so pounds in almost 2 years. I am tall and have a large frame. When I was in my 30's, I started packing on the pounds. Before then I was 160 and felt comfortable with that so I'm heading downhill toward that. I also think and I don't know if I'm thinking clearly about this but at this point in my life, being 48, menopausal, 180 may seem like a better goal. I am eating a lot healthier and exercising more than I did when I was younger. I'll just have to see how I feel as time goes on.
The thing I find insulting and funny at the same time is people that are fat or overweight are being called plus size. Is that supposed to be a nice way of putting it? Geeezzz

Old 08-19-2007, 08:43 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivator View Post
I want to introduce to you an amazing nutritional discovery called Vemma. Vemma is the most complete liquid nutrition program you will find anywhere today. Doctors are warning us that to have a superior supplement it must be in liquid form for 85% to 90% absorbtion. It must have Vitamins, Essential Minerals, Antioxidents, and Immune Boosters. Vemma liquid Nutrition has it all in just a 2 ounce shot glass a day program. I have been taking it for 8 months now and i have lost weight and have more energy. My mind is clearer and I am all around healthier.

Motivator
I've been looking for a form of liquid vitamins so I won't have to swallow so many vitamins. The very few that I have seen are loaded with tons of sugar it seems like. Thanks for posting this. I'll research it.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:35 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Weight and what's normal? Well, gosh, everyone's got a different normal, don't we? My normal might be too little or too much for your height and body build.

I think we tend to equate our weight with our state of health. Thin equals healthy and plump means unhealthy. This is way off the mark. A fit person, even if overweight (but not morbidly obese) has a similar wellness profile as a thinner fit person (and a study just came out to prove this). And a thin person, say one who smokes and doesn't exercise, can be much less healthy than the plumper fit person.

Oh how I wish we could get away from this weight issue and focus on exercise and eating well and forgetting trying to fit into a certain weight category that the glossy magazines tell us is normal. Their idea of normal is my idea of too thin bordering on illness.

If I'm 15 pounds overweight but can hike for ten miles and do other physical things a thin and less fit person can not do, does that make my weight not normal?? I don't think so.

Let's be fit, let's be healthy, let's stop obsessing so much about our weight. Maybe we can re-define normal into wellness and not pounds.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:49 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
I've never had a real weight problem but my weight is much harder to maintain at age 44. I have to practically eat grass all day to stay thin. I can really enjoy my food at times, but it's not worth feeling like a stuffed sausage in my jeans. I feel much better when my weight is around 117 pounds...

Old 08-30-2010, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,380 times
I am between 5'10'' and 5'11'' and I am 150-155lbs. I don't know why our culture decides that we have to be skinny to be beautiful. I had annorexia and on top of that I had chrones disease for a whole year before being diagnosed and dropped to 120lbs. And I still thought I was chubby, then my family stepped in and made me realize that I had a problem and I started gaining my weight back. Still I think that my height makes me very self concious. I still want to lose weight because I don't like being a girl and towering over everyone. I want to feel feminine, but I know I can't ever shrink my bones. What I have come to the realization is that we should not care about our weight and size and just be happy that we have a healthy body. If we think that we won't find someone to love us then we are wrong because even really good looking people have their own troubles finding good relationships. Just be happy, stay active and motivated, and set goals. I don't think weight should be an issue unless you are abusing your body by not eating enough or eating too much bad food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness