Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 10:48 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times

Advertisements

I eventually in later yrs had Surgery (Laminectomy) to repair Spinal nerve pressure that has returned with numbness in the foot/leg (Neuropathy)....we can't win them all.

He has what I would call a constant pressure on the calf muscle do to the angle of his foot on the gas pedal. He needs to move his foot to a different angle every so often relaxing the calf muscle.

There were times I had to pull over to the side of the road to stretch the foot...even getting out of the car it would help.

Sciatica is no laughing matter but it's the tailbone we all sit on at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 10:56 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
For men, while sitting, your wallet in the rear pants pocket can pinch a nerve and cause the sciatica pain.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:58 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,893 times
Since you say your foot is affected, there has to be something going on in you L5 or S1 region.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:39 PM

58 posts, read 219,344 times
Sounds like sciatica, which is pain caused by pressure on the sciatic nerve. Causes can include a number of underlying issues, including degenerative disc disease, herniated disc, etc. If you see your regular doctor, he/she can give you recommendations

Old 10-09-2012, 05:47 PM

2 posts, read 8,622 times
I have severe sciatica am taking Hydrocodtone wih aspirin. What was the otcome of your surgery, Steve?

Old 10-09-2012, 06:15 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,083,908 times
I can tell you right now it has to do with your back my brother had the same thing going on with him and he saw the pain dr and he told him it was his back and he wanted to see the bone doctor and he had surgery not sure what for cause we really dont talk that often but I remember him saying that his dr reffered him to the ortho dr . Good luck to you and wish you well .

Old 10-10-2012, 09:21 AM

Ok, bringing things up to date. Initially way back had the Sciatica. Took SOMA (muscle relaxer) for about three months untill the back problem subsided.

Fast forward. Had a LAMINECTOMY surgery. This is considered a minor spinal surgery via a MD's opinion.

They made a 6 in incision above the tailbone, scraped the bones to releave pressure on the nerves. Was told it would be ab out 6-18 months of recovery time. Exactly 18 months went by before my numbness etc went away.

Last few months to a yr back started to have the reoccurring numbness/mild pain etc.

What I now have is NEUROPATHY.....a tingling sensation like worms crawling in my lower leg/foot along with sporadic numbness/swelling of the leg/foot.

Well I'm 81 so will not have to endure my foot/leg headaches much longer.

I do take 1500mg of Acetaminophen (over the counter) ea night at bedtime as it helps to quiet down the tingling and occasional jabs of pain that would wake me from my sleep.

Hydrocodine is nice but needs a RX prescription. A better pain med is BUTALBITAL. I used to buy it at a Pharmacy in TJ but this last yr it became a RX MD prescription.

Sorry to waste some peoples time here but a little info may help those in need........never know.

EDIT: Many people do not know what strength Hydrocodiene has. It will start with 5mg-15mg along with Acetaminophen as the larger ingredient. There are several combinations that I found listed on the Internet (informative to say the least).

Aspirin is hard on the stomach while Acetaminophen is NOT harmfull. Was told by a Nurse to not go over 3000mg in one days time. I will take 2 most of the time. Found out that taking too many I build a resistence in my body and have to stop for 3-4 days before taking again....just a thought for some to consider.

Walmart has the 500mg/500 pack bottle for about $7.00....very inexpensive in my opinion....considering the results.

Last edited by Steve Bagu; 10-10-2012 at 10:00 AM..

Old 10-10-2012, 09:33 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Neurontin (gabapentin) is good for nerve pain. I took it at night b/c it can ause drowsiness. In simple terms, it reduces the nerves' ability to transmit pain signals.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:10 PM

I tried Neurontin 600mg but it made me way too drowsy. Cut a tab into 4 pieces (150mg) and still is too strong. Will NOT drive in fear of a accident as my system feels like I'm a DRUNK being light headed.

Tried the 1/4 sm piece at bed time...it does mellow the numbness/pain stabs I get.....all in all not happy with it. Takes 2-3 hrs to start working on me.

Suppose the med does have different results for some people.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:03 AM

1 posts, read 3,040 times
i have disc bulge and sciatica due to accident not happy tried treatments didnt work on gabapentin ,awaiting surgery but can you drive with this no one tells you anything ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness