Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 12:55 AM

167 posts, read 492,564 times

Advertisements

At first, I tried going cold turkey, but I think the sudden lack of nicotine messed with my body and mind. I had trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. I could literally feel the withdrawal for nicotine.

Second try, I used patches. The withdrawal wasn't there anymore. First couple of nights, I had some weird dreams (just like the packaging says), but after that, it was easy with some will power.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 02:26 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Did any patch users get a rash?

I know you are suppose to rotate them but they gave my brother & father rashes.
I never used them because$$$$$$$$$ and the other method worked so I cant sya for myself. But I am curious as they are the only two people I know that got a rash from them. (rash right under the patch/not whole body)

Old 07-29-2008, 06:43 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
I went through Project Hitch Project HITCH provides smoking cessation assistance which used the patch and Zyban. I had tried to quit plenty of times before and this is the only one that worked; I've been smoke free since May 1 2007. I don't think Zyban helped at all and probably made it worse because I felt depressed a lot and would constantly start sweating like crazy for no reason. The patch got rid of the hand thing and that helped most. I had tried gum before, but that just added a new addiction. I also wanted to quit and have gone out of my way to avoid it. I can't stand being around anyone smoking and especially hate the stink they give off. Hard to believe I smelled that awful..
I did get a little bit of a rash, but keeping them moved around will minimize that and it's worth a little discomfort to get rid of this awful thing.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:47 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,257 times
I quit cold turkey, going on 4 month.

I think "wanting" to quit and "trying" to quit are 2 different things.
If you really want, you will succeed.

Best of luck!

Old 07-29-2008, 07:29 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times
I work for a clinic, we offer smoking cessation classes and then prescribe Chantix. I am not a smoker but I hear it works really well. My fiance used to use chewing tobacco (gross habit) and I flat out told him he needed to quit. So, I put him on the patch and wow, he was a bear to deal with for the first 2 months but after that he got better and better and was able to quit. He still has cravings for it but he chews a LOT of gum now.
Good luck, I know it's easier said that done and coming from a non smoker but I do know friends and family that have struggled with it and it's a definite addiction.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:25 AM

504 posts, read 1,457,463 times
i smoked for 14 years straight, quit last october cold turkey. was smoke free for 9 months. i have had some stressful issues and problems over the last month and started smoking again. up to 10-15 cigs a day, i am now on my 30th hour of quitting again. i hear and experienced that after 72 hours its an easy path, just stay away from smoking friends, bars, etc...

Old 07-29-2008, 09:27 AM

504 posts, read 1,457,463 times
i did gain about 25lbs in the process...so be prepared

Old 07-29-2008, 10:57 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,002,256 times
It will be 7 years for me in October. I used the patch and my daughter. (I promised her I would never quit again and the only way I know to keep that promise is to never start again). She would put the patch on for me and change it every time. I would just reach up and touch the patch and it would help in some small way. I would also look in her eyes and she would tell me she was proud of me and she loved me.

that and small sips of ice water. Don't swallow right away, just hold it. It seems to help the craving go away. Works for hot flashes too!!!

Old 07-29-2008, 11:01 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,002,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Did any patch users get a rash?

I know you are suppose to rotate them but they gave my brother & father rashes.
I never used them because$$$$$$$$$ and the other method worked so I cant sya for myself. But I am curious as they are the only two people I know that got a rash from them. (rash right under the patch/not whole body)
yep, I had the rashes too, but then I get them from band-aides.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:40 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
I started smoking when I was 14 and quit when I was 19. Different methods work for different people and the first 3 days are the roughest but the struggle can continue for years for some folks. I do know one thing that I believe is true for everyone. If you really want to quit (meaning you have hit bottom so to speak and are sick up and fed with it !), it is fairly easy to quit. If you are trying to quit because doctors, friends or relatives are pushing you to try to quit and you don't really want to, then --- Good luck.

Last edited by Rickers; 07-29-2008 at 11:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness