U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 05:01 PM

822 posts, read 2,861,853 times

Advertisements

This is the second time I've been prescribed Lamictal (for migraines). The first time, I became sad and teary and stopped before one week. But, it's been a few years so I decided to try again since this new doctor had the same idea. It's been a week plus. I am sooo depressed. I feel kind of brain dead. I'm wondering if, like, "day 12" everything turns around and is wonderful or if this just isn't my thing ...Any experiences?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 05:18 PM

7,079 posts, read 36,682,710 times
I live with sumatriptan (Imitrex is the trade name) injectable with me at all times. It really, REALLY works - as long as I inject into my arm and not my leg.

Sorry you're having a tough time.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:26 PM

Wow, interesting. I have a prescription for regular Imitrex, but those triptans are so $ to fill so I just get samples when I can. I've mainly been on Lyrica (the prophylactics). Now I guess I'm on everything all at once lol.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:55 AM

14,545 posts, read 19,911,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom4792 View Post
This is the second time I've been prescribed Lamictal (for migraines). The first time, I became sad and teary and stopped before one week. But, it's been a few years so I decided to try again since this new doctor had the same idea. It's been a week plus. I am sooo depressed. I feel kind of brain dead. I'm wondering if, like, "day 12" everything turns around and is wonderful or if this just isn't my thing ...Any experiences?
What dose are you taking? I take it as a mood stabilizer and the that can be a side effect which goes away most of the time. It will also make you tired.

Incase anyone hasn't told you, this drug must be stepped up slowly, from 25 mg to 50 to 100.... over a schedule. And as it doesn't stay in the body it has to be started over on that schedule should you stop taking it. It is said to have anti-depressive properties but I never saw them when I wasn't taking an antidepresent too.

If the effects keep up after say a couple of weeks definately talk to your doctor, but they can be short term.

And no alchol with it....

Old 08-03-2008, 05:46 PM

I have that little punch out packet, so I was taking two of them (I guess 50) but I backed down to one. Today I feel somewhat better - I have this warm fuzzy feeling in my brain - kind of like you might feel after a glass of wine (?) but it could also be my Lyrica. It's like euphoria that teeters directly on despondence - ugh. I have my next appt soon, so I hope whatever side effects will even out and I'll be able to state if it's working or not. I'm kind of wondering though - how am I supposed to feel on this med? With things like Xanax and Prozac, you kind of know what it's supposed to do, but with this I'm less clear on what to anticipate or look for - if that makes sense.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:40 AM

14,545 posts, read 19,911,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom4792 View Post
I have that little punch out packet, so I was taking two of them (I guess 50) but I backed down to one. Today I feel somewhat better - I have this warm fuzzy feeling in my brain - kind of like you might feel after a glass of wine (?) but it could also be my Lyrica. It's like euphoria that teeters directly on despondence - ugh. I have my next appt soon, so I hope whatever side effects will even out and I'll be able to state if it's working or not. I'm kind of wondering though - how am I supposed to feel on this med? With things like Xanax and Prozac, you kind of know what it's supposed to do, but with this I'm less clear on what to anticipate or look for - if that makes sense.
At first, the reaction can vary, since your body is getting used to it. But you must give it time. Cutting back after a little while will mean you'll never get your system used to it. 200 mg is the theraputic dose. Below that you don't get positive results.

It is mainly a mood stabilizer, rather than an ad like prozac. But if moods are unstable that has to be treated first.

Go back to the 50 and inch up as you've been perscribed... and give it long enough. I've been taking it for about four years and its done miricles.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 7,005 times
can i just say, your saying ur takin Lamictal for headaches, i take them for epilepsy. . they do the same thing? cos since i been takin mine, (recently been diagnosed),i been gettin relly bad headahes! x

Old 05-24-2009, 04:31 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,803,356 times
Lamictal really helped my migraines..but it is hard to get used to.

Imitrex gave me an awful allergic reaction (tongue swelling, chest pressure, and fever) so I always warn people about that who are considering it.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:55 PM

9,101 posts, read 15,624,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I live with sumatriptan (Imitrex is the trade name) injectable with me at all times. It really, REALLY works - as long as I inject into my arm and not my leg.

Sorry you're having a tough time.
Imitrex is also outrageously expensive and if your health insurance pays for it you indirectly are as well . Don't be surprised if your health insurance premiums increase to higher than standard rates.

You might be better off trying to figure out the CAUSE of the Migrane and treat that instead of just the migrane. If you can treat the underlying cause, the migranes should go away. Of course you'd need to see a naturopathic doctor about that since you already know your medical doctor's strategy is to simply treat the headaches.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:44 AM

2,742 posts, read 7,229,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Imitrex is also outrageously expensive and if your health insurance pays for it you indirectly are as well . Don't be surprised if your health insurance premiums increase to higher than standard rates.

You might be better off trying to figure out the CAUSE of the Migrane and treat that instead of just the migrane. If you can treat the underlying cause, the migranes should go away. Of course you'd need to see a naturopathic doctor about that since you already know your medical doctor's strategy is to simply treat the headaches.
Let me ask you this, how dos a ND finds out the cause of it.

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 05-26-2009 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: Removed copyright image and sarcastic comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness