Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 01:22 AM

799 posts, read 2,162,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
I think the OP gives it all away in the title of the thread "They can't cure it"

Who is 'they'?

Your body is your responsibility - not 'theirs' and if you make it sick or vulnerable through lack of care, poor nutrition or abuse, then it is your responsibility. You may fall sick through no fault of your own - but it is still your body, and your recovery or health levels are within your control.

OK, if you don't care about yourself or what happens to you - fine. But don't blame 'them'.

Or are you saying health insurance and drug companies are after your money and don't care about your health. Well, yes, we know that.
And you missed my point entirely...my point was...why bother to swim against the tide? Isn't something going to get us all eventually? Who will live forever? What is so appealing about growing old and knowing you have to work until you croak at work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 01:34 AM

799 posts, read 2,162,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
Consider that suicide is a permanent solution ( death ) for a temporary problem ( depression ).
But I won't kill myself, too chicken.
This about letting nature take its course and not interferring and trying to live forever.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:20 AM

638 posts, read 3,114,405 times
twixcookie, you ARE depressed. From what you have posted here, you aren't really living, you are just drudging through life by the sounds of your posts. So you have $45,000+ in medical bills. If it's with a hospital, you have the right to go and work out a payment plan that will work for you.

I have a brother who told me when his youngest child was 14 that they finally got her birth paid for. They had well over $70,000 in medical bills from that birth, plus they had 2 previous children too.

I'm 60 years old and I wake up every day looking forward to what the new day will bring. I may not wake up very fast or cheery, but I do look forward to what today and tomorrow may bring.

Not one of these last several posts of yours gives me a sense that you look forward to anything.

I don't think anyone posting on this thread said much about living forever. But I do believe that those of us who responded to you here all want to live to our fullest as long as we continue breathe air in and out.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:11 AM
ino

680 posts, read 2,491,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
And you missed my point entirely...my point was...why bother to swim against the tide? Isn't something going to get us all eventually? Who will live forever? What is so appealing about growing old and knowing you have to work until you croak at work?
WHOAH...!!! Stop this train, I'm jumping on board, but don't worry, I will be jumping off again at the next stop 'cos I don't think I like where it's going.

Firstly, don't think me insensitive or disrespectful or whatever and have been lurking in the background for a while, but got to say that this post had me on the floor laughing...WHY?...I'm glad you asked...because now you are talking my language!

"Swimming against the tide"....yep, had that one before, [first laugh].
"Isn't something going to get us eventually"....yep, had that one before also, [second laugh].
"Working 'till you croak at work"....yep, had that one too, [third laugh].

I have a few of my own as well!!

I am really glad I found this post of yours as it has cheered me up no end knowing that someone else has had similar thoughts.

I doubt that there would be anyone on this planet who has not had one/several, or all the same thoughts at some stage in their lives, (of course I stand to be corrected on that), as that pretty much sums up what I have thought at times in the past, and no doubt will think it again sometime in the future, depending on the mood I am in.

OK, I'm married and have 3 kids, (well they are adults now), and I don't have any health problems, (well none that I am aware of.....yet!), so I can't speak about physical health, but I certainly can talk about mental health. Some of us are good with the brain we were given and some of us are not so good with it, but I am a fighter, the world can throw as much $hit as it likes at me and I will take up the challenge. I'm only here for a short time so by hell I may as well make it worth my while and kick back, at least I will go down fighting. There's only two things that I can call my own, (1) my morals, and (2) my principals, and there isn't anyone alive that can take them away from me.

As I am a member of the human race, one of my phylosophies, (spelling?, and can't be bothered to look it up), is that when I have some 'not so good thoughts', I immediately say to myself..."If I have this thought then there must be others who have, or who have had, similar thoughts" after all, the world is a rather large place and why should I think I have a monopoly on these thoughts. Then I follow that up with..."well if they can handle it then I've just got to find a way to handle it for myself". You see, I consider it one of the pitfalls of being a member of 'that' human race, if I was an insect I would never need to think about anything, just pupate, develop, pro-create...and then kark it.

As I said, I don't have any health issues at the moment so I can't comment there, (so right there you can tell me to shut up, but remember, you did put the post up, and to me that's like waving the old proverbial red flag to a bull), and that's where I laughed at your post because I know that one day things WILL be different, but hey, that's life I guess, $hit happens. I guess you could say I am a fatalist, and you would be right as well, and all I can do is the best I can with what I've got. My dear old ma in law kicked it about 3 years ago with Motor Neuron, (spelling again but what the hell), and I used to say to her that one day we will all, (figuratively speaking), get something it's just a matter of WHAT we are going to get, and WHEN we are going to get it? What's that saying from the movie...life is like a box of chocolates? For some reason, that saying has stuck in my head since I saw that film and do you know why...again, I am glad you asked...because that is just the facts of the matter to me.

As I have aged I tell myself that everything I ingest is poison, due to circumstances beyond my control, so I have made a decision to try to change my eating habits, look at alternatives to pharma medications, and try to keep 'Mr Life Threatening Illness' away for as long as I can. But I am under no illusion here that....ONE DAY???

Look, sorry for waffling on, but the way I see it is that apart from the health issue, your thoughts are the same as mine are at times, and before you fire a rocket up me, yes, it may be easy for me to say as I still have good health, BUT....I would like to think that I am ready for that final challenge, when it comes, but by the beegeebers I will go down fighting, and that for me is a great comfort!

OK, I'm jumping off now.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:29 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,624,130 times
Quote:
Maybe they would like my rock collection, just kidding.
I don't think I am being "negative"...I am being logical.
Life just is.
We work, or try to work, and pay the bills.
Somehow, being a drone just doesn't cut it for me.
I can't afford to do the things I'd like to do.
I am a closet geology buff, and the other night, I spent hours just reading about the new Supercollider in Europe.
See, I don't think waking up is a good thing, because it's another day of pushing the rock uphill.
I can't think of one thing to look forward to. And I know a lot of it is my age.
twixcookie, you're contradicting yourself. You say you can't think of a thing to look forward to, yet you mentioned at least two interests ...you have a rock collection, and you are a geology buff. You spent hours just reading about something that I couldn't care less about! That is wonderful. You wouldn't do that if you didn't enjoy it. You DO have interests that you can pursue that are within your means. There is so much around us that we can enjoy for free if we but take the time, and make the effort, to look for it. The glass is not half empty - IT IS HALF FULL! YEAH!

Why not take a sheet of paper and draw a line down the middle. Label one column Pros (or positives), the other Cons (or negatives). Then list as many things (big or small) that you can think of in each column, and see what you end up with. Just brainstorm. Very interesting exercise.

Thanks to all for the great posts! Couldn't rep as much as I wanted to.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:01 AM
ino

680 posts, read 2,491,086 times
Quote:
I'd be careful with that plenty of sex...there are so many diseases now out there...
Hey, I just read this post too, don't lose that sense of humour. I would have rep'd you more if I could have as well.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:26 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,572,400 times
Quote:
I think you can bet that death is permanent. So far, no one has come back yet.
Either they have and we don't know it; they have and we do (paranormal activity); one word - reincarnation; or, it might be a case of "WHY would we WANT to go back?!?"

Old 08-07-2008, 09:01 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,932,540 times
twixcookie wrote:
But I won't kill myself, too chicken.
This about letting nature take its course and not interferring and trying to live forever.
OK, since you have no plans to go the suicide route, that implies that you are choosing to live until that inevitable day arrives. Since you are choosing to live, why not make your days, high quality HAPPY days? That's different than trying to live forever.

When you wake up and realize that you have another day to live, notice that it's not a good thing OR a bad thing. It just is! Ask youself, how can I experience happiness today? Then be silent and LOOK for an answer to arise from the silence.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:01 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,624,130 times
Quote:
OK. Let's just say that you will live a lot longer than you think. What will those years be like, if you don't take care of yourself now? We all need to do what we can to maximize our chaces of avoiding prolonged, debilitating illness or incapacitation in old age. Wouldn't you rather be 90 and relatively independent, puttering around, reading your geology stuff or looking for rocks to add to your collection, than being bedridden, maybe in pain, and beholden to others to give you some "quality" of life?

On any given day, any moment, we have the opportunity to choose which path we will take, but we can rarely go back when we look over our shoulder and say, "I should have" or "I wish I had done such-and-such".

So, what if you live to a very ripe old age? Will you wish you had done things differently?

Old 08-07-2008, 11:18 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,131,867 times
you only get one life........why not live as healthy and happy as you can? Otherwise what's the point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness