Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 11:53 AM

370 posts, read 358,659 times

Advertisements

I have tooth pain and need a root canal but my dentist prescribed clindamycin. Normally I am OK with taking meds but I am allergic to vancomyacin and sulfa and penicillin types antibiotics. I think the biggest worry with this drug is that it causes c-diff and my father took this med and died from c-diff. Does anyone have any good experiences with this drug?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 11:59 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,606,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
I have tooth pain and need a root canal but my dentist prescribed clindamycin. Normally I am OK with taking meds but I am allergic to vancomyacin and sulfa and penicillin types antibiotics. I think the biggest worry with this drug is that it causes c-diff and my father took this med and died from c-diff. Does anyone have any good experiences with this drug?
I've had an issue that took a course of amoxicillan and it got rid of pain and swelling. That was about 10 yrs ago. I keep that area pain free with an herbal tincture. I don't know the abx you mention. Others will most likely chime in.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:09 PM

3,257 posts, read 4,968,725 times
From the International Journal of General Medicine, Vol. 9, pages 27-37 (2016):

"[T]his study found that probiotic supplementation is a valuable adjunct in the routine care of patients receiving antibiotic therapy. Given the high morbidity and mortality associated with [C. Diff.], the significant reduction in the incidence of [C. Diff.] achieved with probiotic supplementation and the apparent lack of significant negative side effects should prompt physicians to consider these readily available, low-cost supplements as an effective and potentially routine therapy for patients receiving antibiotic therapy."

In other words, take probiotics.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:14 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,606,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
From the International Journal of General Medicine, Vol. 9, pages 27-37 (2016):

"[T]his study found that probiotic supplementation is a valuable adjunct in the routine care of patients receiving antibiotic therapy. Given the high morbidity and mortality associated with [C. Diff.], the significant reduction in the incidence of [C. Diff.] achieved with probiotic supplementation and the apparent lack of significant negative side effects should prompt physicians to consider these readily available, low-cost supplements as an effective and potentially routine therapy for patients receiving antibiotic therapy."

In other words, take probiotics.
Always take probiotics when taking antiobiotics and I take probiotics daily anyway. Wonder if MD's instruct their patients taking abx drugs to take probiotics.

Old 11-25-2017, 01:19 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,953,104 times
I've taken clindamycin before with no problems.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:13 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,640,758 times
I have used it with no problems. Several times.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:35 PM

2,517 posts, read 2,740,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
I can't speak to the C-Diff situation but I'll share my experience with clindamycin. I'm allergic to sulfa, penicillin, Cipro, and erythromycin. I took clindamycin and nearly immediately after my first pill I developed a severe head-to-toe full body rash with excruciating itching. That reaction required predisone to clear. That was the same reaction that I had to sulfa. Never again for me! Sorry I can't help with the C-Diff question but thought you should be aware. I hope your experience is uneventful and that you soon feel better.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:40 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,523,455 times
Personally, if one of my direct blood relatives died from the end results of a medication, I wouldn't take it. As JaminHealth said, amoxicillin will clear up the tooth ache. It works for me, and I keep it in the fridge for that reason.
As stated above, take probiotics with it. Antibiotics wipe out the good gut bacteria, so replace them daily, and keep on them after you quit the amoxicillin. Good luck, tooth aches are almost as bad (if not as bad!) as a slipped disc.

Last edited by TerraDown; 11-25-2017 at 11:40 PM..

Old 11-25-2017, 11:10 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,474,108 times
My dentist has prescribed amoxicillin in case an at risk tooth fractures. He wants to ward of potential infection if the weak tooth fails when I can't get care quickly. Scrip was about $2.
Talk to your dentist about your concerns.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:04 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,955,820 times
Chemically speaking, clindamycin should not be a problem due to any of your known allergies. The C. diff problem is real so most doctors will tell you to take probiotics with it. Just because a family member contracted C. diff doesn't mean that you will. And most likely your parent had other comorbidities that made any infection more deadly. Also, C. diff is very common in hospitals and nursing facilities, not as common to contract it living at home. Wash your hands properly every time after using the bathroom.

Clindamycin is probably the best choice for patients with penicillin allergies because clindamycin has good coverage for anaerobic bacteria that tend to thrive in dental infections. There are other drugs that have the same coverage for dental bacteria but they are further up the ladder of "drugs of last resort."

If you are still worried about allergies just make sure that someone is with you for an hour or so when you take the first dose. If you are worried about C. diff, take the probiotics and monitor your bowel habits. It's normal to have a bit of queasiness with any antibiotic. But if you're passing diarrhea more than three times per day, especially with a fever then you need to call your doctor. It can be treated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness