U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 07:50 PM

337 posts, read 1,367,035 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with these on the bottom of their feet? I am experiencing a very painful problem on the bottoms of both feet, however, worse on my right foot. What I read about plantar warts doesn't seem to mesh with what I am dealing with, but it seems to be more than just a callouse too. Mine are located, not exactly on the "ball" of my foot, but just beside and more under the second toe. I've tried those yucky Dr. Scholl's salicylic acid callous pads that you stick on and wear for days, but these rarely really help. Walking is becoming really painful and I can't find a pair of shoes in my closet comfortable enough! What gives???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 09:15 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,383,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecovringKrspyKremeAddict View Post
Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with these on the bottom of their feet? I am experiencing a very painful problem on the bottoms of both feet, however, worse on my right foot. What I read about plantar warts doesn't seem to mesh with what I am dealing with, but it seems to be more than just a callouse too. Mine are located, not exactly on the "ball" of my foot, but just beside and more under the second toe. I've tried those yucky Dr. Scholl's salicylic acid callous pads that you stick on and wear for days, but these rarely really help. Walking is becoming really painful and I can't find a pair of shoes in my closet comfortable enough! What gives???
I have no idea if it's a plantar wart you are talking about, but if it is, unless you want to get it cut out, this is how I got rid of mine, (remember, assuming it's a plantar so you need to find out first of course).

I bought a packet of those sticky plaster dots, (you peel them off individually off a backing strip and the dots range from small and increase in diameter to the larger ones in the pack). I kept sticking these on to 'burn' it away and after a few months I had a hole just big enough to get a pair of tweezers in and pull it out. The pain was excrutiating I might add, but quick, when pulling it out, however, I found that there were two more in there as well, these must have been 'off-shoots' to the main one which required more patches for a time before I could get them out as well. I started with the smallest patch and worked my way up till I could get to them.

It appeared to me that the first two I pulled out were two of those 'off-shoots' as they were shaped just like a 'carrot', if you get the picture, but the last one I pulled did not have a 'pointy' end, but a blunt end instead, this I guess must have been the main plantar as everything cleared up after pulling that one. With the first two, I bled like a stuck pig, only for a short time though, but that last one did not bleed at all.

IF it is a plantar, and I guess there is no way of knowing unless you get it seen to, or someone else can describe what I said they look like here, this is how I fixed mine. It took a while, but I succeeded. My employment was a driver at the time and as it was on my accelerator foot I had to drive with my toes for around 6 months or so. Of course, getting them removed by a doctor would have been MUCH quicker.

If those 'acid callous pads' you speak of are similar to what I am talking about, they did work, but it took a few months to burn enough away to get to the plantar roots. Admittedly I had a bit of a hole there, but it all cleared up in the end. If it is a plantar, and you don't mind pain, and I mean PAIN, (of very short duration though), OK, but if you don't like pain then you better have someone remove them. You used to get a 'caustic pencil' or such for warts years ago but I don't know if you can still get them today.

That's my experience with plantar warts, and I don't want to get another one either! I look after my feet much better now! You had better find out if it IS a plantar first though I suppose.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:11 AM

8,307 posts, read 37,307,455 times
Quote:
I had a plantar wart on my right foot that I let go for way too long. When I finally went to the doctor it involved the webbing between my first and second toe and covered a portion of the ball of my foot. I can definitely feel your pain. Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing, mine basically looked just like a callous but was very distinct from the surrounding tissue when waterlogged after showers. The doctor I saw gave me a large saline injection into the middle of the wart. Wart tissue seperates from healthy tissue relatively easily, so creating a "blister" of saline under the wart hydraulically parts the wart from your body, severing all of the blood vessels to the wart and effectively killing it. The doctor was of the opinion that this was a more permanent fix than freezing or cutting but cautioned that with a wart of that size I would probably require multiple treatments. He was right. I had to get three. After the third treatment the wart just gave up and peeled off in a matter of days. The whole thing came off in one piece, a disgusting silver dollar-sized flake of dead skin. (shudder) After 27 months I've had no recurrence.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:56 PM

337 posts, read 1,367,035 times
Oh INO! It sounds like you went through some MAJOR pain, buddy! My heart goes out to ya! Hopefully I will not have such a difficult time of it! (Big chicken, here! )

Hmmm...I've never heard anything about saline injections! Sounds like a much less painful method! Glad to hear you've not had any recurrence!

Just wondering....and don't laugh at me...but....has anyone out here ever tried home remedies such as the duct tape method, or the apple cidar vinegar???

Old 08-11-2008, 09:20 PM
ino

Quote:
Oh INO! It sounds like you went through some MAJOR pain, buddy! My heart goes out to ya! Hopefully I will not have such a difficult time of it! (Big chicken, here! )

Hmmm...I've never heard anything about saline injections! Sounds like a much less painful method! Glad to hear you've not had any recurrence!

Hey, don't worry, I'm a bit of a wooce when it comes to going to the 'doc', that's why I did it myself, but yeah, I didn't realise it would be that painful to rip them out though , but like I said, it was an instant pain, and gone in a matter of seconds. I'd do it again though, if I had to.

That thing 'Recovering...." said about saline sounds damn good to me, I never heard of that one. I wonder how many doc's know of that? I'm definitely filing that one away in my knowledge database, Thanks 'Recovering...'.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:08 PM

205 posts, read 700,091 times
A very, very long time ago I had a wart on my foot, just where you described, kinda on the ball of the foot but beneath the second toe area. On days I didn't go to work I taped a slice of raw garlic on it. I also tried washing it with peroxide and witch hazel, and I don't know exactly which thing worked but it did vanish.

I later had the same kinda thing on my middle finger near the top knuckle (or was it my pointer finger?) I did the same thing, and it disappeared too. This one I remember had the little black specks that looked like pepper down beneath the skin.

This was in my early 20's and I never got another wart since, not sure how people get them.

My hunch is the thing that did the trick was the raw garlic. Of course it didn't happen overnight, but I think less than a month's worth of weekends, at least on the finger one. I can not remember for sure, all I know is that's the only thing I used and I never did go to a doctor about it.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:10 AM
ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice2 View Post
A very, very long time ago I had a wart on my foot, just where you described, kinda on the ball of the foot but beneath the second toe area. On days I didn't go to work I taped a slice of raw garlic on it. I also tried washing it with peroxide and witch hazel, and I don't know exactly which thing worked but it did vanish.

I later had the same kinda thing on my middle finger near the top knuckle (or was it my pointer finger?) I did the same thing, and it disappeared too. This one I remember had the little black specks that looked like pepper down beneath the skin.

This was in my early 20's and I never got another wart since, not sure how people get them.

My hunch is the thing that did the trick was the raw garlic. Of course it didn't happen overnight, but I think less than a month's worth of weekends, at least on the finger one. I can not remember for sure, all I know is that's the only thing I used and I never did go to a doctor about it.
I have read somewhere that plantar warts can apparently disappear on there own accord, with no intervention, but I am not so sure about that after seeing the end result of the one I had. Do whatever works to get rid of them I say.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:24 AM

8,307 posts, read 37,307,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post
I have read somewhere that plantar warts can apparently disappear on there own accord, with no intervention, but I am not so sure about that after seeing the end result of the one I had. Do whatever works to get rid of them I say.
Warts will disappear of their own accord if/when your body learns to destroy the particular strain of HPV that causes that particular wart. It doesn't always happen, some warts can be very persistent. Also, warts that seem to magically disappear can return in the same spot at a later date. Sometimes the virus will lie dormant for years before some event triggers a re-activation. I have heard some people say that warts will re-emerge in times of great stress or immune system overload.

I agree, do whatever to be rid of them.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:04 PM
ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Warts will disappear of their own accord if/when your body learns to destroy the particular strain of HPV that causes that particular wart. It doesn't always happen, some warts can be very persistent. Also, warts that seem to magically disappear can return in the same spot at a later date. Sometimes the virus will lie dormant for years before some event triggers a re-activation. I have heard some people say that warts will re-emerge in times of great stress or immune system overload.

I agree, do whatever to be rid of them.
Aye, this was quite interesting, so maybe there is some truth in that story I read. That is probably what the article I read was referring to, but never stated the REASON as you have done. Handy to know that. Thanks.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:02 PM

13,726 posts, read 24,452,540 times
I think I've heard also to use a banana peel to remove a plantar wart? A regular callous is just toughened/thickened skin and shouldn't be that painful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness