U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 04:35 PM

16,224 posts, read 24,048,241 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 09:08 AM

3,763 posts, read 11,594,790 times
Yes,

Good cholesterol (HDL) provides a benefit - so that if your good cholesterol is high enough, they will tell you not to worry about your overall number.

Also - some people's high total cholesterol is genetic, and NOTHING you eat will change it. In that case, you should be monitored by your doctor, but becoming a vegan will not help.

make some sensible changes (eat more oatmeal, certain fruits, exercise more) and see what happens. If there are no changes, his cholesterol may be more genetic than dietary and in that case other changes may be needed -- OR -- they may decide to just monitor it.

by the way, there is a lot of controversy as to whether or not changing/lowering cholesterol levels actually affects Heart Disease. It has been used as a surrogate for heart-mortality, but there is conflicting evidence whether its actually accurate.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:15 AM

13,138 posts, read 38,431,406 times
Cant add much to what others have said but worry more about the HDL than the LDL and remember diet and weight bearing exercises and supplements and you'll kick it in the bud.

6/3

Old 08-15-2008, 10:16 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,058,040 times
L-88, I am glad to hear you are doing so well on your statin but I thought I was doing great on them too for almost 6 years. Only when my memory got so bad that I had to all but quit driving and was just about non functional at work, I started to worry.. I did wonder all along what was going on with my body since I seemed to be getting all sorts of odd ailments, knee pain that started in my second week on them like someone had smashed me in them both at the same moment that just about crippled me. I had never had any knee problems in my whole life and it hit both knees at the same moment. I lived with that pain the whole time I was on them. Vertigo.. not good when you work on a boat! Acid reflux, it stole my energy in little snippets over the years I was on them until I had no life and was to tired to care. Peripheral neuropathy that included a real odd lumpy swelling in both feet that itched and burned to warn me that it was fixing to spread and these soft lumpy swellings we on both feet in the same places and hurt! Urgent Urinary frequency, Dry eyes, Glaucoma, forgot words, then couldn't say them when I did remember them, Hand writting became chicken scratch, Palpitation: Rapid heartbeats that I could feel, Chest pain and a feeling of suffocation, I would wake up at nigh gasping for breath and it has NOT happened since I quit them and such a squeezing feeling around my chest that I would have to take my bra off. I gained 40 pounds that I have now lost and am back to my normal weight again. Had NO labito at all! Those are some and a majority of the problems went away as soon as I got off the drug. I went from taking 0 medications to a bag full, now back to only medication for tendonitie (Aleve) and low dose asprin.

When I stopped them I had a "honeymoon" period where everyone was amazed at the change of me, co workers kept asking me what I was "on", I was full of energy after years of not having any so it was really noticable.. That lasted about 6 months, then the onslot started. There was not a joint in my body that did not suffer excruciating pain, it attacked one joint after another. It lands in my Achilles tendon now and then still, and almost throws me down when it happens. I never knew what joint would be effected when I woke up in the morning until it landed in my right shoulder where it has been for over a year. Overnight I had tendonitis, bursitis and a bone spur in that shoulder that nothing has helped. I have accepted there are now things I can no longer do with that shoulder. My testosterone levels have been messed up which is causing me some problems that are going to be life long and there is no cure for. Still, all in all, I am far better now than I was when I was on them but I will have life long problems that the drug caused me.

I am no fake, it happened to me! Believe me, I wished it hadn't and there are people out there who have suffered worse than I have. I am helping a man in Atlanta, Georgia that has been having amnesia episodes where he is actually loosing time and not aware of what he has done or where he has been. I know this man and he is no flake either, actually a very smart, well educated person. He has had other problems on it also, not sure what but I will find out when I am in Atlanta next week end.

Note: I tell my kids I may drop dead of a heart attack tomorrow (don't believe I will) but at least I had a life till the end and can remamber their names.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:34 AM

19 posts, read 37,150 times
I am an ultra-marathoner. Thanks to alternative medicine, my performance is not only radically better, but I have also found the proverbial "fountain of youth".

Cellular nutrition experts Dr. Helmut Schuller and Dr. Robin Navarro designed for me this daily diet that will shock the USFDA guys:
1. Six (6) eggs, for the all-important choline & inositol, from free-range ducks that are not given any commercial feeds - poached, boiled, scrambled, or sunny-side-up in butter, or olive oil, or coconut oil (NEVER CANOLA OIL, NOR SUNFLOWER OIL, NOR CORN OIL OIL, NOR MARGARINE, NOR ANY POLY-UNSATURATED FATS);
2. One (1) liter full-cream milk ;
3. Two hundred (200) milliliters whey milk;
4. One hundred (100) milliliters Lactobacilli casei - Shirota strain ;
5. unprocessed cheese and/or goat's cheese ;
6. Whole-wheat multi-grain bread and/or mountain rice (violet-colored), and/or violet-colored mountain yam (VERY DIFFICULT TO SOURCE);
7. Wild honey or moscovado (raw sugar) squeezed from sugar cane (NO ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS, NOR REFINED OR WHITE SUGAR);
8. Two (2) liters of alkaline water (NO COFFEE, NOR TEA, NOR SODA POP OR ANY COLA DRINK);
9. One (1) liter freshy squeezed fruit juices (NO READY-MADE JUICES from the grocery);
10. One (1) kilo of organic veggies served with lemon, olive oil, or vinegar, or my own personal concoction of mayo;
11. One kilo of fruits & nuts (I have a very long list of choices);
12. One fistful of fish per meal - broiled or cooked in coconut milk (again, from a very long list of approved and disapproved types of fishes) ;
13. One fistful chicken meat per meal, from free-range chicken, preferably broiled.
14. Quarter (1/4) pound beef steak or lamb roast (NEVER ANY PORK, NOT EVEN BEEF ENTRAILS, EXCEPT FOR THE COW LIVER LISTED BELOW);

And then thrice (3x) per week, I eat :
1. cow liver, minus the liver fat - medium rare sprinkled with lemon;
2. bone marrow soup with five (5) tablespoons of soft marrow;

This diet changes depending on the stage of my training. BTW, these two doctors initially designed this diet for cancer patients. And they have a very high success rate in treating even 4th stage cancer.

I am ORDERED TO AVOID some of the food that I long loved - shrimps, crabs, squid, oysters, and other shellfish. We discussed this matter for several months where I did most of the protesting/arguing, but when I started avoiding these, my health has never been better.

I also discovered that CHOLESTEROL IS NOT TOTALLY BAD. It is the oxidized fats that clog the arteries, not cholesterol, which declogs and emulsifies the oxidative damage there.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 10-29-2008, 08:47 AM

19 posts, read 37,150 times
Oh, I forgot about the three (3) cups of oats that I eat daily. I add to that some wild honey and full-cream milk, and if available, some strawberries. My doctors now added cashew nuts and some yacon tubers for me to eat. This yacon root thing looks weird, like a long black potato, but is mildly sweet, very tasty, somewhat similar to watercress. Nice.

Happy eating !!!

Old 01-06-2009, 10:28 PM

14 posts, read 27,054 times
Default Cholesterol!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
My husband had a physical and has high cholesterol.
What are some diffrent foods that I can give him to lower this?
I guess the sausages are out!
Not exactly grassfed beef actually lowers the cholesterol! It has many other benefits also.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:04 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,058,040 times
I have the genetic cholesterol also and I DID lower mine without statins. It took 3 years of working on it but I was determined to do it and I did. I did it just to show my doctor I could and the last time I allowed them to draw blood (Oct. 2008) he was happy with the numbers but I was not.. I had went because I was feeling so bad and when I got the results, I knew my cholesterol was to low (228). I feel the best when mine is around 250. (I also lost 45 pounds that I gained while on the statin.) I do not believe in those un-naturally low numbers they want these days.

It takes time, work and you have to be committed.... otherwise, all these years they told me mine was genetic... were they wrong?

Old 01-07-2009, 02:24 PM

8,413 posts, read 37,466,369 times
High fiber breakfast and snacks - I love cherrios for this because it cheap and good. NO SUGAR on top. Fruit if anything. Quaker makes a high fiber hot oatmeal now too.

Switch out all saturated fats for health ones.

Have turkey sausage or vegan sausages if he really likes those.

Try some tart cherry juice too :
Tart Cherries May Reduce Factors Associated With Heart Disease And Diabetes

Get active - start with 15 minute walks together after dinner. Work it up to at least 30 minutes as minimum effort. But 15 is better than nothing and an easy fast start that gets you into the habit without torture.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,539 times
The following is a list of low cholesterol foods that can be mix and match to create a low cholesterol diet:
1. LEAN MEATS. Lean red meats or lean chicken/turkey meats and fish should always be included in the list of low cholesterol menu because these are rich in protein, vitamins, minerals, and micronutrients that are excellent for a person's metabolism as well as in fighting off bad cholesterol.
2. VEGETABLES. This food group is considered as the healthiest among other groups in the food pyramid primarily because they are low in calorie-content. Aside from that, these are also high in dietary fiber and dietary nutrients that aids not only regulated metabolism but also balances cholesterol levels. Vegetables are also perfect low cholesterol foods because these are excellent sources of minerals and vitamins such as vitamins C, E and K, vitamin B-complex, and other micronutrients that reduce vitamin deficiency. Aside from lowering high cholesterol levels, other benefits of eating vegetables also include the reduction of heart diseases and cancer as well as high blood pressure.
3. GRAINS. Because these are in high-energy content and dietary fiber content, grains are effective foods to lower cholesterol level. Whole grains are also known as effective in controlling weight. Aside from whole grains, breads, beans, potatoes, pasta, and cereals can also help lower cholesterol levels.
4. NUTS AND SEEDS. Since these contain large amounts of vitamins and minerals, nuts and seeds are included among the list of low cholesterol foods. These foods also are also high in dietary fiber that is excellent for great metabolism and low in calorie-content that is effective for weight management.
5. FRUITS. Just like vegetables, fruits are also among the top food groups that lower cholesterol because they are very low in calorie content. These also contain large amounts of significant vitamins and nutrients that help prevent of vitamin deficiency as well as other illnesses..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness