Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2008, 08:53 AM
GLS GLS started this thread

1,985 posts, read 5,368,608 times

Advertisements

"Hypothetically", I have this friend who is 62 years old, and has chronic back pain. What is the best exercise for him to reduce his stomach size and "lovehandles", without joining a gym or further stressing his back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 09:17 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,540,433 times
There is none for that as that's usually a sign of Insulin Resistance so get the diet under control and it will burn off along with both forms of exercise i.e. cardio and pumping iron.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:15 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,141,743 times
cut carbs and lower the overal DCI

Old 08-15-2008, 10:12 PM

756 posts, read 2,570,192 times
cardio and less calories......hypotheticaly.....

Old 08-15-2008, 11:23 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,697,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
"Hypothetically", I have this friend who is 62 years old, and has chronic back pain. What is the best exercise for him to reduce his stomach size and "lovehandles", without joining a gym or further stressing his back?
After the age of 35, men start to lose muscle mass every year. They also tend to get more and more sedentary. This is treacherous because with less lean mass and less activity each year you are headed down a slippery slope to sparetiresville.

Probably the best thing that this hypothetical friend could do without going too far out of his way would be to start doing pushups every day like so:

As many push-ups as he can do in 30 seconds

Rest for 60 seconds

As many push-ups as he can do in 30 seconds

Rest for 60 seconds

Burn out on push-ups until he is stuck to the floor.

Keep doing this every day and he will regain some ground with his muscle mass and then keep the deterioration at bay. If two 30 second sets is starting to get easy, add a third.

Push-ups are a very underrated exercise. They involve about 80% of the major muscle groups and, if you maintain proper form with a perfectly straight back, are a good abdominal work-out. Strengthening the abs is one of the most effective methods of correcting weight-distribution related back pain.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:17 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,872,437 times
Swimming? Or water exercises.

Cure for Back Pain

Old 08-16-2008, 09:36 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,194,735 times
At 65 he should be getting a "stress test" at the docs before doing any exercise.

Just jumping into exercise can induce a heart attack in someone that age and that type of shape especially.

Those are the places that fat usually goes on every male. He needs to review his eating habits. He's overeating if he has excess fat. I suggest walking and knowing the rules of heat etc. and watching his intake.

Beginner push-ups can be done off the wall and are a lot less stressful on the back.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:30 AM
GLS GLS started this thread

1,985 posts, read 5,368,608 times
Default Thank you

My "hypothetical friend" has hypertension (now controlled with 5 meds). Had a stroke three years ago (BP=210/170), so is aware of cardiac risk. Has been doing push-ups and recumbent stationary bike for about three years. Still has weightlifter/gymnast type muscle mass. Hate to admit it, but primary problem is probably caloric intake. Never met a steak or glass of cabernet I didn't like.
Also, probably just too much "off-road" mileage on this chasis. Some people treat their body like a temple. Unfortunately, I treated mine like an amusement park.

Still searching for specific midriff reduction exercises. Thank you all for your kind comments and suggestions.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:54 PM

638 posts, read 3,116,875 times
Quote:
My "hypothetical friend" has hypertension (now controlled with 5 meds). Had a stroke three years ago (BP=210/170), so is aware of cardiac risk. Has been doing push-ups and recumbent stationary bike for about three years. Still has weightlifter/gymnast type muscle mass. Hate to admit it, but primary problem is probably caloric intake. Never met a steak or glass of cabernet I didn't like.
Also, probably just too much "off-road" mileage on this chasis. Some people treat their body like a temple. Unfortunately, I treated mine like an amusement park.

Still searching for specific midriff reduction exercises. Thank you all for your kind comments and suggestions.
The spare tire is just where your body stores most of your excess fat. Exercise may help build up your mid drift muscle strength, but weight loss will do you the most good. I have a few suggestions, but it does take a little bit of work on your part.

Caloric intake is a huge problem now-a-days; but my hubby and I found that learning portion control automatically cuts down on the calories but doesn't have to restrict the types of food you eat. You can still have 3 oz of steak (which ends up being about the size of a deck of cards or a bar of soap) and 4 oz cabernet; but that's the total amount for a serving of each of those. Get a food scale with a digital readout and measure and weigh everything you put in your mouth. We did this last year and both of us each lost over 35 pounds weighing and measuring our foods.

A simple exercise that just about anyone can do is to get up and march in place during the commercial breaks during your favorite TV show. One hour of doing this will result in a 20-25 minute walk. The higher you lift your knees while marching in place increases the workout. This will strengthen and tone your muscles and help you lose the spare tire.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:02 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,141,743 times
Quote:

First and foremost you will definitly want to get your BP down......diet can really help with that....sorry no more fatty salty steak for the "hypothetical" you but good news is 1 glass of wine a day is good for your BP....You definitly need to cut white breads/starches and salt/sodium from your diet....at least for now, you can add small amounts back in slowly once your body fat and BP goes down.....I would not recomend anything that can further injur your back but I would invest in a thera ball and do some non abrasive core strengthening excersizes.....this will not only help with the spare but it will help with your back as well....just be sure to do it correctly, the ball usually comes with a core strengthening video.

Best of luck to you! and remember, it's a lifestyle not a quick fix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness