Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 03:38 AM

50 posts, read 143,417 times

Advertisements

I had to do a physical exam for the first time in my life. I've had an inguinal hernia for a few years now, it's rather big but doesn't hurt.

The doctor noticed it under my underwear (you can tell it isn't the you know what) and asked if he could see. I told him no but that I knew it's an hernia.

He said in case it's an inguinal hernia, if it's that large, it should be removed cirurgically. I told him it has never bothered me so far so I won't be doing anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 08:25 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
Cracks me up that you wouldn't allow the doctor to see it. They don't remove hernias, they repair them, either by just sewing up the hole (hernia) or by putting in mesh to try to prevent them happening again. If it isn't broken don't fix it is my motto. I have had 5 hernias, 4 of which were operated on, but only when I had to. The first 3 I waited until I was in a lot of pain. The 4th one was 2 years ago and my intestines went through and twisted and that suddenly became an emergency. Now recently I have found a new one, right smack in the middle of my abdomen in the area where I had robotic surgery (which is often the case that you get a hernia where you had previous surgery and the abdominal wall is weakened). The new one isn't bothering me at all and I will leave it alone until or if the day comes I have to have surgery on it.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Cracks me up that you wouldn't allow the doctor to see it.
Why?

Quote:
They don't remove hernias, they repair them, either by just sewing up the hole (hernia) or by putting in mesh to try to prevent them happening again. If it isn't broken don't fix it is my motto. I have had 5 hernias, 4 of which were operated on, but only when I had to. The first 3 I waited until I was in a lot of pain. The 4th one was 2 years ago and my intestines went through and twisted and that suddenly became an emergency. Now recently I have found a new one, right smack in the middle of my abdomen in the area where I had robotic surgery (which is often the case that you get a hernia where you had previous surgery and the abdominal wall is weakened). The new one isn't bothering me at all and I will leave it alone until or if the day comes I have to have surgery on it.
Thanks for input. I think this one might have something to do with the time I went to the gym 5 times a week, I was younger and more stupid and thought I was stronger than I actually was. So I would do an huge effort in certain exercises.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:51 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonzoGia View Post
Why?

Thanks for input. I think this one might have something to do with the time I went to the gym 5 times a week, I was younger and more stupid and thought I was stronger than I actually was. So I would do an huge effort in certain exercises.
I just imagined my doctor asking me if he could look at the hernia I now have in my abdomen and just telling him no. He's a doctor, why are you even there getting your hernia checked out if you won't let him look at it???

Old 12-04-2013, 08:58 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,543,351 times
Obviously for real medical advice - see a doctor.

However, with that caveat aside - my father has had an inguinal hernia for probably 20+ years. Likely longer.

He refuses to have it treated. Aside from looking a bit odd (you should see the looks he gets when an aide sees him undressed for the first time) it has not caused other medical issues that we know of.

He's 86 now.

He's had other medical issues we've dealt with the last 5 years, but he is adamant about no hernia surgery. I've not pushed it.

If something emergent happens (intestinal rupture, etc..) well - we'll cross that bridge. But as I've said - no issues to this point.

You may want to consult another doctor, one who is less surgery-happy to see if there's any other concerns with not treating this hernia.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:14 AM

523 posts, read 3,804,496 times
as usual, the devil is in the detail. it rather depends if its direct or indirect, on your general health, whether it causes you any problems (for me, and abnormal unsightly lump would be an issue, even in the absence of pain), whether it contains any bowel (but this can be difficult to be sure of pre-operatively), and the general preference to have it dealt with electively, as opposed to as an emergency if it ever becomes strangulated.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:26 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
My dad wore a brace which kept his hernia in place. Apparently he chose this so s to avoid surgery. Years later I think he had it repaired.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I just imagined my doctor asking me if he could look at the hernia I now have in my abdomen and just telling him no. He's a doctor, why are you even there getting your hernia checked out if you won't let him look at it???
This was just a physical check up I was required to do for work purposes, otherwise I wouldn't have gone.

I never mentioned the hernia, he was the one that noticed it and brought it up. So I was never there for hernia, I could have it checked out years ago if I wanted to.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:01 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
My husband has had a couple work physicals where they checked for hernia (they put a hand there and tell you to cough). Did you pass your physical?

Anyhow, my daughter was born with inguinal hernias. We had them repaired when she was three months old, and they've never been an issue.

My friend's husband had a large inguinal hernia, big enough that you could see it through clothes. His became strangulated and he had emergency surgery.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Did you pass your physical?
You always do in this type of thing, it's nothing more than a formality for work purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness