U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2008, 02:14 PM

946 posts, read 2,826,194 times

Advertisements

For months now, I've been telling myself that every day is the last day I will binge on junk food and sweets, but I can't stop! Is it possible to erase a lifetime of bad habits? I'm starting to believe it's not. I live with my mom and siblings, my mom has the pantry filled with cookies of all kind, chips, chocolates, cupcakes, really good things . I've told her to stop buying cookies because I'm really the only one who eats them, but she says that just because I don't want any, my brothers don't need to pay for it. She also cooks very unhealthy, usually fried food soaked in oil, and hardly any vegetables. Also, her servings are GIGANTIC! I think that's why my waist is so large compared to the rest of my body...I've trained my stomach to expand. I saw a nutritionist a couple of times...but my willpower is ZERO, I have no determination or discipline. Right now I think my body is totally messed up...for the last couple of days I've been eating nothing until 5 in the evening, not because I don't want to, but because I'm not hungry till that time. After that I'll have some small snacks...whatever I find around, cookies mostly. Then I'll eat a HUGE dinner around 9/10.I need help!! My main objective is to lose some inches off my waist. How can I start?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 02:41 PM

4 posts, read 55,566 times
Hi lilamx,
You really need your mom and siblings to help you out. You need to sit down with them and tell them that, tell them that you want their support for several months or until you accomplish your goal. But you need to be really serious about it, I mean, when you talk to them, tell them that you mean it and that you really want them to help you out with this. Especially your mom. Tell her you love her not matter what, that you would love her a lot even if she would stop cooking for you, that your love for her is not based on what food she prepares for you. You need to make her understand that or it is going to be harder for you to lose the weight. Losing weight is not about going into a diet, it's about being healthy and happy and wanting to have a life of success and peace. You'd probably need to read a book of self discipline and you need to learn how to say NO, even to your mom, without being rude or anything.
You also need to start doing some exercise.
I love a healthy life style and I truly believe that a healthy life style is not only about being thin, but well fit, happy, being kind to yourself and others and....many other things.
I hope this helps a bit.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:05 PM

198 posts, read 320,609 times
I agree with Livingstrong, but don't count on getting a whole lot of cooperation.

I don't know how old you are, but if you are old enough, I would suggest finding your own place. If not, you really have your work cut out for you.

Perhaps you could begin to prepare your own meals. Find out what kind of regimen you need and learn how to prepare the foods that will work best.

Again, this is not a diet. This needs to become a lifestyle. Something you will do for the rest of your life. Once you become successful, you can't reward your successes with food. You will learn what you can and can not snack on...but in the end, you will need to count calories like mad. If you consume more calories than you can burn off, you will keep adding weight.

Perhaps you could schedule an appointment with a doctor or a nutritionist who could get you started.

Good luck. It isn't easy, but your quality of life will improve significantly, and you will live a longer and much happier life.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:58 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,401,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
For months now, I've been telling myself that every day is the last day I will binge on junk food and sweets, but I can't stop! Is it possible to erase a lifetime of bad habits? I'm starting to believe it's not. I live with my mom and siblings, my mom has the pantry filled with cookies of all kind, chips, chocolates, cupcakes, really good things . I've told her to stop buying cookies because I'm really the only one who eats them, but she says that just because I don't want any, my brothers don't need to pay for it. She also cooks very unhealthy, usually fried food soaked in oil, and hardly any vegetables. Also, her servings are GIGANTIC! I think that's why my waist is so large compared to the rest of my body...I've trained my stomach to expand. I saw a nutritionist a couple of times...but my willpower is ZERO, I have no determination or discipline. Right now I think my body is totally messed up...for the last couple of days I've been eating nothing until 5 in the evening, not because I don't want to, but because I'm not hungry till that time. After that I'll have some small snacks...whatever I find around, cookies mostly. Then I'll eat a HUGE dinner around 9/10.I need help!! My main objective is to lose some inches off my waist. How can I start?
Sorry if this sounds a bit off to you but this is how I prefer to look at things, and this is how I would expect anyone who gives a damn about me to speak to me, as It makes me sit back and take stock of myself. The time comes when we can all do with some STRAIGHT TALK and less patronising and sympathetic waffle and state the COLD HARD FACTS. We eat too much...we GET FAT!, we eat junk food...we GET FAT!, we drink soda pop and lolly water...we GET FAT!, when we get fat...we get UNHEALTHY!, when we are unhealthy...we can expect to get 'who-knows-what' HEALTH PROBLEMS!, depending on what those health problems are...one or more is/are GOING TO KILL US!, If one understands the above then one can go to the grave knowing that one was FULLY AWARE of the risks, can accept that we did NOTHING to change, and will be prepared to get ill and DIE! Unless one embraces the thought that one will live a shorter life than most, welcomes illness and chronic health issues upon ourselves with open arms, and possibly dying a LONELY, and/or SLOW MISERABLE death by some hideous illness that you would not wish on your worst enemy, and with nothing/little we can show for our life, then we had better take a long, hard look at ourselves as it will be all down hill from there. We should be standing up and taking responsibility for ourselves, blaming no-one BUT OURSELVES. If we don't want any of the above to dwell on our minds and live the rest of our lives on pills, potions, and prescriptions until that IMPENDING day comes, and it WILL come, then it will be from THAT POINT OF AWARENESS we CAN and MUST do something about it, NO-ONE else can, or will, do anything. All the crap food, nibblies, bickies, soft drinks etc etc etc are all on the shelves for one express purpose... to help us have a shorter and more miserable life, while the better educated, (mentally disciplined if you get my meaning), get richer and richer at OUR EXPENSE. They don't give a damn, they make more money out of our ill health. Stuff that, get a hold of life by the throat and choke IT before it chokes YOU, (generally speaking here of course, nothing personal).

Look around and see what houses doctors, dentists and other professional people are living in. Look around and see what types of vehicles they are driving. Check out the neighbourhood where they live. How many professionals do you know that come down with all the variety of hideous ailments which befall the general population? Then take a long, hard look within, and at our own circumstances...! Then ask oneself a very simple question..."How is it THEY don't, (generally speaking), get heaps of these diseaes etc, how did THEY get the wealth for all that?" I know.

I repeat here that this may have sounded off but I have heard it all before from myself to other members of my family, and BY THEM TO ME, and it is only by STRAIGHT talking, and not waffling on with platitudes, sympathy, empathy, patronising, being afraid of upsetting a family member etc etc that we were able to take a deep look at ourselves, understand the facts of life, then doing some re-educating and doing something about it...and we have been all the better for it.

[The following is my opinion only]... MAKE A DECISION! If that decision is for the benefit of ones future and well being then some re-education is required in CHANGING THE EATING HABITS. Source some worthwhile people and/or material and swap the junk food and drink to a more healthy diet, water, and lifestyle. Don't go with the flow and be like all the other sheep...be an individual...be the black sheep of the family...swim against the tide...be the odd one out...stand out from the crowd...shove your hand straight up in the air and say "I am who I am and what I am because I CHOSE to be who and what I am. I'm an individual and I can do whatever I want". One of my daughters refuses to eat after 8:00pm because that is the worst time to eat, before going to bed. NONE of that food is burned up because we are in bed! She has made me think about a thing or two!

Old 08-23-2008, 12:56 PM

205 posts, read 706,088 times
Seeing a nutritionist is the right thing to do, and it shows you REALLY, really want to change if you have already been to one. Living like you do, you need outside help finding out what people are SUPPOSED to eat to be healthy, you are not learning it at home and that's not your fault.

Can you start preparing your own food? Do you have any income where you can decide for yourself what you are going to eat, and then purchase the right stuff at the store? That is the first question -- questions.

Have you ever cooked with a crockpot? Just an idea, you can dump a little meat in it, or a little potroast, or a little chicken, and some chunks of vegetables / potatoes, and it's easy and fast and very healthy, but of course you need to eat some raw vegetables too.

If you buy some lettuce / tomato / onion and maybe some green pepper / red pepper and / or celery, you can make yourself taco salads, with or without taco chips or taco shells, buy some canned beans *** or, canned chili with meat if that sounds more appealing to you, some salsa, mile or hot, and a tub of sour cream -- maybe some cheese, yes you want to cut back on dairy to lose weight, but lets take some big steps here without going off the deep end for STARTERS.

Those ingredients can probably give you lunch and / or dinner for a couple days, and it's healthy and satisfying.

Just a start. I'm one of those weirdos who loves iceberg lettuce salads, with just a bunch of onions / green pepper / tomato on top, drowned in ranch dressing and cayenne pepper and brewers yeast. I love having a BIG plate of the salad with maybe a piece of chicken on the side (the lazy-person's chicken from the pre-cooked grocery store deli).

These things aren't perfectly fat-free, but they are DO-able and a big change from what you are eating now. And satisfying to eat.

You sound like you're pretty darned young. It is a perfect time for you to start realizing you need to make some big changes in your life, don't be discouraged by anyone nagging you here about not being different than you are. You came here to find out ****HOW***** to do it, that's a great thing!
**** edit-- I meant to add, that I love using canned pinto beans instead of refried beans, and kinda mash them up myself in the pot with a potato masher, leaving some of the liquid from the can in there, to make them more tasty (to me!) than the pre-ground up refried beans version.

Last edited by Alice2; 08-23-2008 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: forgot to add my advice about canned beans

Old 02-11-2009, 07:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,146 times
I really think that you need to stop worrieing about what you eat now and think about the future i have the same problem and i just ask my mom to get some fruit snacks, those are healthey and nutrisious but if your realy that worried i think that you should consider drinking extra water, because when you gain the water you also lose the bad stuff in your body and that makes you lose most of the weight thats holding you back, so what if you cant eat healthey mabee try to limit yourself or if it helps join a sport at school even if you eat helthey you still need some exersize.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:41 PM

2,278 posts, read 3,757,111 times
ino,

your post sounds hot. At first i thought you were sending subliminal messages with the random bolded words, but i get it...you were EMPHASIZING.. lol (love it)..

anyway, good point..listen to what other posters are saying, OP. Nobody can fix your problem but YOURSELF.... nobody's gonna tie you down so you won't eat to oblivion... you have to find a way to stop through sheer willpower and determination, ultimately, on your own. Other's can only support you, but all the work's on you, OP.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:56 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,892,963 times
Talking You have taken the first step....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
I feel very sorry for your situation and my only advice is to take control of yourself and your body. After all, is is your body, your health, your choice. Evidently, you know the difference between healthy nutritious food and junk food but lack the motivation to take action

Your body/ your choice !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness