Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 02:30 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,005,261 times

Advertisements

Here's a brief quote from an article entitled: FDA Unleashes Mass Irradiation of Spinach, Lettuce and Other Vegetables

The FDA has announced that beginning today, spinach and lettuce sold across the United States may now be secretly irradiated before it reaches grocery store shelves. What's "secret" about it? The FDA previously decided that irradiation warning stickers would not be required on any food items because it would be "too confusing to consumers." (The word IRRADIATION apparently has too many letters to be understood to food buyers.) Thus, irradiated foods will not be labeled as such, and consumers are going to be left in the dark about all this....Mike Adams

Read the entire article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 05:11 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,634,279 times
While the article seems to be borderline conspiracy theorist, I do agree that the FDA has a little too much power over our foods and supplements.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:20 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,443,007 times
I hope a consumers group or organization sues them. I want to know if food is irradiated, because I won't be buying it if I know this (and this is exactly why they don't want you to know).

forum rules, please read them

Old 08-23-2008, 08:40 AM

Txboomerang wrote:
While the article seems to be borderline conspiracy theorist, I do agree that the FDA has a little too much power over our foods and supplements.
I've never gotten an impression that Mike Adams is a conspiracy theorists. He simply tells it like he sees it and he uses strong language to do it. Personally, I'm glad he is doing it, because the media sure won't.

IMO, the FDA has alot more than a little too much power. They have waaaaaay too much POWER. I'd like to see the FDA disbanded and allow us to take care of ourselves. We don't need the FDA to protect us, but then there would be no one to look after big pharma, agribiz, and the AMA.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:33 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,296,262 times
If you aren't already doing it, it's time to start growing your own produce and fruit tree's. Contact your store's where you shop and find out if they are carrying irradiated produce and then don't shop there or just don't buy it. And tell them you won't be buying it.
Go to Farmer's markets and find food co-ops in your area and join. If your area doesn't have a food co-op, consider starting one.

I already wrote to some of the local stores in my area, via email to find out whether they are going to sell irradiated produce and if so, that my family will not be buying it.
Whole Foods already said they will not carry it.

The FDA needs to butt out of our lives and give us our freedom back. We do not want to be slaves to medications and we never will. So if this is a ploy by big pharma to do just that, we will always find a way around it.
I can see it now: In the not too distant future, we will be sneaking around in the dark and buying "illegal" organic produce like illicit drugs. lol Sounds funny, but if the FDA keeps this kind of crap up, we will all be doing just that.

And for anyone who believes this is all a conspiracy by people who want to eat well, stay alive and keep fit without drugs, just wait until you start getting sicker and sicker from eating your salads, since irradiated lettuce and other great veggies destroys the life giving nutrients we are all trying to get, the food will just be worthless, all vitamin content destroyed. Way to go Federal Destruction of America!

Last edited by PinkString; 08-23-2008 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: .

Old 08-24-2008, 08:28 AM

Hey Pink...you said it very well. I wanted to rep you but I gotta spread the love before I can do so. GREAT POST!

Old 08-24-2008, 10:04 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,443,007 times
The FDA is a joke. They are a mouthpiece of big industry - as is pretty much the entire US government.
Why should we not be informed if food we eat is treated with irradiation, bovine growth hormone, deadly poisons (pesticides) etc. I as a consumer should have every right to make informed choices about what it is I put into MY body. Irradiation has a low consumer acceptance, so now they are trying to sneak it into the back door...

I wish I could grow my own food, but we live on a rocky ledge...and have trees all around us. However I did join a CSA and shop at Whole Foods and health food stores when possible.

forum rules, please read them

Old 08-25-2008, 01:14 PM

430 posts, read 1,359,684 times
Its been around for some time. This is not new.

I can't wait to start buying it - I am tired of stuff spoiling in one day.

As for Farmer's Markets - most sellers are dealers who buy from wholesalers then take it to the market and yuk it up like they are farmers. LOL.

Pinky, you have no idea what you are talking about. Studies have shown that irradiated food loses from 1-10% of its vitamin contents and none of the other nutrients. It depends on the type and amount of the radiation dose. The plants themselves over their lifetime get 10x+ more radiation from natural sources than they get from one dose at the radiator.

Its been going on for a very long time and its done all over the world.

Food irradiation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-25-2008, 01:36 PM

If someone chooses to eat food known to be irradiated, that is indeed their choice and I support their right to do so. What I take issue with is the FDA not requiring irradiated food to be labelled as such, effectively removing a consumers choice to knowingly eat it or not. Given information like, this food has been irradiated, most consumers would choose NOT to eat it. Wether it is a rational choice or not is not the real issue. This is one more way that food as business takes precedence over food as nutrition.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:09 PM

430 posts, read 1,359,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
If someone chooses to eat food known to be irradiated, that is indeed their choice and I support their right to do so. What I take issue with is the FDA not requiring irradiated food to be labelled as such, effectively removing a consumers choice to knowingly eat it or not. Given information like, this food has been irradiated, most consumers would choose NOT to eat it. Wether it is a rational choice or not is not the real issue. This is one more way that food as business takes precedence over food as nutrition.
Uhuh.

If we label food as irradiated, should we label whether pesticides were used or not, antibiotics used, cages or not, pasture or not, grain or not, etc?

Where does it end - when the end result is NOT distinguishable via taste, nutrition, or health effects?

There would be so many labels that you could not see the food nor could you buy it because of the label police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness