U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 10:49 PM

6 posts, read 16,970 times

Advertisements

I had sex about 4 days after I ended my period which was on july 12th and I still have not started...I havent really had any signs but I am still worried, I was going to wait until the beginning of the month to take a pregnancy test. If we used a condom could I be pregnant? I have not had any spoting and my breast havent been hurting or getting darker and I have not been getting morning sickness or nausious. The only two things that have been happening is I have an odd feeling in my abdomen and I have been having to urinate a lot but I think that is because I have been drinking a lot of tea lately. I am normally irregular so I could just late or whatever. Please give me some advice besides taking a test because I am with family right now and I dont want to do anything with them around so I was going to wait until i went home next week.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 12:09 AM

2,111 posts, read 6,531,538 times
The only advice I can give you is to take a test or go to the Doctor. Untill you know you are, or arent pregnant, it is not worth worring about it. If it turns out you are, then you need to deal with it in however you see fit If you arent, then there is nothing to think about. Simple as that.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:41 AM

894 posts, read 4,086,919 times
You might have a Urinary Track Infection (UTI) if you are having some discomfort in your abdomen and peeing alot. Does it hurt to pee?

You said you are irregular, so maybe that it is it? You said you are not home, maybe your in stress mode. My period gets late all the time if I am traveling..

Old 09-01-2008, 04:07 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,589,059 times
We can all guess what is going on, and you may or may not be pregnant. However, you need to take a test and/or have a doctor verify immediately

Old 09-01-2008, 07:55 PM

15,895 posts, read 23,625,200 times
If you are late, go take a test, and put your mind at ease.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:06 PM

6,472 posts, read 14,837,611 times
Have you heard of the morning after pill/PlanB? It may be available in your state. I am not sure if parental consent is needed, but you can ask your gyno or go to the emergency room if you have cash and/or insurance. It's a pill that you take after you have had sex that causes your uterine lining to slough off immediately so you don't have to worry about being pregnant. I'm sorry to hear you're feeling so worried now. Just go and talk to your doctor and be more careful next time. If you want to contine to have sex, you can also ask your doctor about some birth control to use in addition to your condoms.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:19 PM

5,612 posts, read 14,040,092 times
To answer your question: yes, you can become pregnant even if you use a condom. Condoms are only 85% effective. Considering how late you are if you haven't been this late before, you have a very good chance of being pregnant. Since pregnancy is the easiest to rule out, take a test at this point, even a home pregnancy test would be able to detect a pregnancy. It's the only thing you can do.

Fyi, because a male's sperm can live up to 5 days, it is entirely possible to become pregnant four days after you stop bleeding. If you want to know when you will ovulate, count from when you began bleeding. If your period is generally 28 days, you would normally ovulate halfway (14 days) through your cycle, so if you have sex up to five days before or after that day, you increase your chances of becoming pregnant. Because your period is irregular, to will be harder to determine when you will ovulate, so you need be very careful if you don't want to become pregnant. And please follow kinky toes suggestion of taking additional birth control along with a condom.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:30 PM

7,136 posts, read 11,571,701 times
Yes, it is possible that you are pregnant. I understand that you do not want to take a home pregnancy test while you're at your family's house, but if you take one then you'll get some peace of mind. It could be a very long week if you're worried about this. Slip away from your family, go to the store, buy a home pregnancy test, and take it in a restroom at the library, mall, or some other place where you can dispose of it when you're finished. Your family won't know and you'll have your answer. Best wishes.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:46 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,664,352 times
You have my total empathy with the irregular periods and the pregnancy fear. I lived for 20+ years with irregular periods and despite my use of contraceptives, I was nearly always worried. It WAS easier once I moved out because I'd just keep pregnancy tests at home. For now, I agree that you should try to buy one and take it to a public restroom and just get your worry out of the way. With irregular periods, you have to be really really really careful about the birth control because you have no idea when you may be ovulating.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Old 09-02-2008, 09:18 AM

8,308 posts, read 36,162,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah_Nicole08 View Post
I had sex about 4 days after I ended my period which was on july 12th and I still have not started...I havent really had any signs but I am still worried, I was going to wait until the beginning of the month to take a pregnancy test. If we used a condom could I be pregnant? I have not had any spoting and my breast havent been hurting or getting darker and I have not been getting morning sickness or nausious. The only two things that have been happening is I have an odd feeling in my abdomen and I have been having to urinate a lot but I think that is because I have been drinking a lot of tea lately. I am normally irregular so I could just late or whatever. Please give me some advice besides taking a test because I am with family right now and I dont want to do anything with them around so I was going to wait until i went home next week.
Apart from taking a test, if you dangle a pencil from a string in front of your belly, if the pencil moves in a circle its a girl. A straight line pendulum motion indicates a boy.

If you have a history of irregularity this could very well be nothing. If you are pregnant, it will show up on an OTC pregnancy test at this point. Why not just get the kit?

As far as condoms are concerned, my wife got pregnant on our wedding night in spite of precautions.

For the morning after pill, it's only 80% effective and I'm not sure that it still works this far out from the interlude.

If you are pregnant, the worst thing you can do is freeze up and procrastinate. Whatever you decide to do, you need to get all the information you can and make a decision pronto. Don't put it off, the anxiety and anticipation is worse than knowing.

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 09-02-2008 at 09:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness