Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 10:08 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,499,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
I sure wish waterbeds were available widely now. Sure do miss the one I used to have. I think that is the best kind, for me, anyway.
J
Yep, totally agree with that for the reasons I mentioned earlier. Water will take the shape of the total body area and give support everywhere the body makes contact with the bed. The only better bed would be an air bed, (not the traditional air mattress), which produces 'jets' of air under pressure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 08:56 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,204 times
Ino,
Glad to find a fellow hippie in the crowd. (No disrespect intended.)
I do wonder about the air beds, though. Wouldn't it have to have a motor running all the time to keep the air pressure up? I don't know about others, but that would bother me. Sounds like good support, however.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:26 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,101 times
I've had a Sleep Number bed for the last 5 years and highly recommend it.

The best part of the sleep number is that my husband and I prefer different firmness so we can each set our side and sleep comfortably.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:39 PM
ino

Quote:
Ino,
Glad to find a fellow hippie in the crowd. (No disrespect intended.)
I do wonder about the air beds, though. Wouldn't it have to have a motor running all the time to keep the air pressure up? I don't know about others, but that would bother me. Sounds like good support, however.

LOL. Hey, did I miss something? Yeah well the 'air' thing I was referring to I believe is probably not available to the ordinary man in the street..oops, or woman in the street. I believe these type of beds are used in hospitals or hospices or the like for people who have extremely limited mobility or some other severe problem, maybe parallysis. I'm not really sure for what purpose they are used but I don't reckon you would be able to just walk into a store anywhere and buy one. I also would think that they may be hooked up to an air compressor which would not be in the same room, I don't really know how they are set up.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:52 AM

Ino,
Are you looking for a mattress or just speculating? Just wondering.
Have you tried out the Temperpedic yet? If I wind up ordering another one I'll get a softer configuration.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:09 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,810,780 times
When I stayed at a friend's house while she was away, I got to try out her Sleep Number bed. I was shocked at the difference between what setting was her preferred one and what worked best for me. (I wrote her number down so I could reset it before she came back.)

I have to say that it was absolutely awesome, and I would highly recommend them to anyone and now want one myself. I think it would be especially beneficial to a couple who had different preferences as you can set each side of the bed to your own liking.

Warning: They are NOT cheap!

Old 09-15-2008, 05:54 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,052 times
I've been sleeping on a waterbed for over, hm, well, lesee, since at least 1976. I bought a new bladder in 1987 that lasted for nearly 20 years. When I bought another one, lo! it was the same as the one I bought before, and 1,000 miles between. Whenever I go on a trip and have to sleep on a conventional bed, I ache for days on end. And to be surrounded by warmth in the winter time is just too good.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:01 PM
ino

Quote:
Ino,
Are you looking for a mattress or just speculating? Just wondering.
Have you tried out the Temperpedic yet? If I wind up ordering another one I'll get a softer configuration.
No, not looking, we have got two mattresses as I said earlier and it was the best thing I did. I found that two gives good and adequate support without feeling like I am laying on a concrete floor. The old one is underneath, and the new one is one of those fairly thick ones, (10" or more I believe), which I put on top.

If by 'speculation' you are referring to the 'air' thing then no, it's not speculation as I saw that years ago on some show for people who have serious mobility problems or were bed ridden for the most part. The numerous 'jets' of air within the 'mattress' so to speak gave the best all body support due to the air being displaced and re-directed throughout the 'mattress' if you understand my meaning and this minimised the possiblity or susceptability to bed sores etc. No 'pressure' points on any one area of the body when in the 'lying' position if you like. But, like I said, I wouldn't think one could just go in and 'buy' one as they are probably specially manufactured for hospices or hospitals or senior citizens or such.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:33 PM

Ino,
When I said "speculating" I meant are you wondering about different kinds of mattrasses just out of curiosity.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:18 PM
ino

Quote:
Ino,
When I said "speculating" I meant are you wondering about different kinds of mattrasses just out of curiosity.
Sorry JoanD'Arc, no I just responded to the OP's question about anyone passing a comment on a good mattress and as I saw this article years ago I believed that this 'air jet' type setup would probably be the best mattress one could possible want for all round body support that's all. Not knowing if the OP is looking for a mattress for any particlular issue I just thought I would pass that bit of information on, in case there were any underlying reasons for asking, and if so they could be looked into. My 'two mattress' thing was just what I did 'cos I wanted a mattress which gave support without feeling like I was sleeping on the floor, and using two has been really good for us regarding comfort combined with better support without going into a chiropractic one, or something similar if you see what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness