Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 04:44 AM

2 posts, read 9,373 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to say that I too, have this issue. It comes and goes (probably in line with my blood pressure/level of congestion) but does seem to happen when I lay on my right side (it's my right ear). It's like a 'woosh woosh woosh' as you all describe, but I also noticed that outside sounds are distorted when it's happening (think of like, a blown speaker, the crackle and pop).

I do believe I know what mine is from, as I was in a bicycle accident while wearing those 'earbuds' headphones, and the right side of my head slammed into the side of a car (I was traveling pretty fast, but that's another story for later) and ever since I've had to lay on my left side to prevent it from happening when I sleep (along with another byproduct of a bicycle accident, my nose is broken and if I lay on my left side, all the blood clears from it and I'm actually able to breathe with my mouth closed.. yes, yes, I'm the crazy guy that has random bicycle accidents..)

Last edited by matl0ck; 01-14-2013 at 05:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 9,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Get to a health food store and buy yourself some EAR CANDLES! I am almost certain they will relieve your problems immediately. Anything that has to do with the ears or sore throats will be helped immensely with ear candles.

20yrsinBranson
"Ear candling appears to be popular and is heavily advertised with claims that could seem scientific to lay people. However, its claimed mechanism of action has not been verified, no positive clinical effect has been reliably recorded, and it is associated with considerable risk. No evidence suggests that ear candling is an effective treatment for any condition. On this basis, we believe it can do more harm than good and we recommend that GPs discourage its use."

Ear candling

Old 01-14-2013, 09:14 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,042,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matl0ck View Post
"Ear candling appears to be popular and is heavily advertised with claims that could seem scientific to lay people. However, its claimed mechanism of action has not been verified, no positive clinical effect has been reliably recorded, and it is associated with considerable risk. No evidence suggests that ear candling is an effective treatment for any condition. On this basis, we believe it can do more harm than good and we recommend that GPs discourage its use."

Ear candling
Betcha that's the first thing they said when someone came up with the Germ theory too. Hey, we can't SEE germs. Nobody has ever proven that they cause disease. ALL physicians know that it is the humors that cause illness not little "creatures" that you cannot even see. How preposterous.

Science doesn't know everything, yet.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-15-2013, 05:06 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,191,079 times
Quote:
Betcha that's the first thing they said when someone came up with the Germ theory too. Hey, we can't SEE germs. Nobody has ever proven that they cause disease. ALL physicians know that it is the humors that cause illness not little "creatures" that you cannot even see. How preposterous.

Science doesn't know everything, yet.

20yrsinBranson
"Science" knows enough to definitively state that ear candling is useless, dangerous and preposterous....

It has been proven WITHOUT A DOUBT NOT TO WORK.....

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Cons.../ucm200277.htm

http://audiology.advanceweb.com/Arti...-Candling.aspx

http://www.audiology.org/news/Pages/20100622.aspx

http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery.../candling.html

Last edited by bluedevilz; 01-15-2013 at 05:18 PM..

Old 01-16-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
"Science" knows enough to definitively state that ear candling is useless, dangerous and preposterous....

It has been proven WITHOUT A DOUBT NOT TO WORK.....

Don't Get Burned: Stay Away From Ear Candles

The Dangers of Ear Candling on ADVANCE for Hearing Practice Management

Ear Candles and Candling: Ineffective and Dangerous

Why Ear Candling Is Not a Good Idea
"Proven" by people who have a FINANCIAL interest in people not taking responsibility for their own health care. Of course, what do you expect them to say? "Oh go ahead and heal yourself, we don't care if we don't make the BILLIONS AND BILLIONS of dollars every year treating conditions that you could easily treat yourself, at home, for a FRACTION of the cost of going to a doctor"...

I hardly think so.

They don't want you doing *anything* that they can make money on, in case you haven't noticed. These are the same people who are dead-set against supplementation, herbs or any other health modality that they cannot cash in on.

Wake up, man.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-16-2013, 06:25 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,191,079 times
Quote:
"Proven" by people who have a FINANCIAL interest in people not taking responsibility for their own health care. Of course, what do you expect them to say? "Oh go ahead and heal yourself, we don't care if we don't make the BILLIONS AND BILLIONS of dollars every year treating conditions that you could easily treat yourself, at home, for a FRACTION of the cost of going to a doctor"...

I hardly think so.

They don't want you doing *anything* that they can make money on, in case you haven't noticed. These are the same people who are dead-set against supplementation, herbs or any other health modality that they cannot cash in on.

Wake up, man.

20yrsinBranson
Yeah, lots of "money" available by proving an idiotic,dangerous practice doesn't do anything other than cause harm.....right.

Wake up, take off the tin foil hat and get a grip.

Find even one iota of proof to back up your "opinion"

Ear candling is a dangerous useless practice that should NEVER be done for ANY reason.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:45 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,643,716 times
High blood pressure can cause this.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:54 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,255,258 times
I used to get tinnitus quite badly.

I would go to bed at night, every night, and listen to the pulse pounding through my ears. It's very noisy and annoying.

Then, it went away, just as quickly as it came.

A few years later I had moved cities etc and it happened again.

I finally put two and two together.

The first series of attacks, I was living was one of the windiest cities in the world and walking everywhere.

The second series of attacks occured after I had gone for a walk on a very windy day, in a generally non-windy city.

Yes folks, my "tinnitus" was down to the wind, affecting my eardrums, hours after the actual event.

Bizarre.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:56 PM

9,510 posts, read 16,420,653 times
I had this ear problem, pulsating, throbbing, fluttering in my right ear for two weeks. Evidently it was the start of or part of the building up to a sinus infection. Which seemed to follow the ear problem. Ears nose and throat are all connected and can do a job on one another. I finished the Zpack antibiotic last week and feel so much better now. I remember these problems all began on very windy days.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Yeah, lots of "money" available by proving an idiotic,dangerous practice doesn't do anything other than cause harm.....right.

Wake up, take off the tin foil hat and get a grip.

Find even one iota of proof to back up your "opinion"

Ear candling is a dangerous useless practice that should NEVER be done for ANY reason.
Just that I have known several people who have used the process with good results and no detrimental effects. That and the fact that it has been around as an alternative modality for a very long time. My philosophy is that if something doesn't work, people aren't going to continue using it.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness