Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 02:52 AM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,780 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I saw a doctor about this today, had him confuddled good and proper. He said both my ears looked healthy, but this 'thumping/throbbing/pulsing' in my left ear is making me miserable.
He suggested taking a nasal spray for a few days, so I've just started doing that, and also said to yawn a lot (not hard for me!) and to swallow.
He was unsure about what caused the throbbing, but when I mentioned also getting horrible decompression when landing in an aircraft, he was more definite about it being a blocked eustachian tube.

I'm in Sydney, and have been reading elsewhere on the forum about something called a "Z-pack" which seems to work, but am not sure about it's availability here.

Has anyone else had this sensation?? Did you climb up the walls, and snap at your beloved/s?? Any other suggestions/remedies would be appreciated!

Thanks for listening/reading, folks, have a good Monday/Tuesday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 06:18 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
I had something similar several years ago. I had a haircut about a week before and when I went to the doctor, she found a very small clipping of hair in the ear canal. It was so small, I would never have found it. She told me that I was the second patient that week with this problem.

Since then, I seem to have problems with that ear. I use a hot water bottle on my ear during the evening.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:24 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
A Z-pack is azithromycin, an antibiotic. But it doesn't sound like you have an infection.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:41 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
My mother had this years ago and it ended up being a thyroid problem. She could hear her heart beating in her ears. I don't know what your problem is, but just thought I would mention that since it happened to her.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:44 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Like Country Girl said- are you sure it isn't your heart beat? High blood pressure can cause this sensation. Have you gone to your general practitioner??

Old 09-15-2008, 01:53 PM

I actually normally have really low b.p., and this isn't regular like a heart beat, it's an irregular thing. I've been awake for the last couple hours with it (it's now 5.40 a.m.).
I'm still using the decongestant which doesnt seem to be working. Oh well, it doesnt hurt to ask..prolly go back to the dr's soonish.
I wondered if it's stress related? This is a really busy time at uni, and I work as well, but I didn't experience this last year when it was a similar time..
Seriously, I feel I could cut my freakin' ear off right now.
I wonder if I'll become a better painter??
Thanks for chimin' in guys..

Old 09-15-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Since then, I seem to have problems with that ear. I use a hot water bottle on my ear during the evening.
How does the hot water bottle work for you SXM? I'd pour hot water in the ear if someone says it works for them...(j/k)!

Old 09-15-2008, 02:31 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
How does the hot water bottle work for you SXM? I'd pour hot water in the ear if someone says it works for them...(j/k)!
The hot water bottle works well for me. I usually take 2 Aleve if the pain is really uncomfortable. At first I thought I had allergies, but the hot water bottle does it for me.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:01 PM

Ok...with mine there's no actual pain with it though. It sounds like whatever you had is much worse. I mean, you really shouldnt have to sleep with a hot water bottle on your ear for the rest of your life.
I wonder about the allergies..it's just coming into spring here now, all sorts of little things floating around.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:04 PM

650 posts, read 2,179,513 times
I had something that sounds very similar a while back. My doc said my neck was misaligned (he is also a chiropractor) and fixed it with a quick snap, snap. The pulsating/fluidy feeling went away within 2 days and it has felt fine since. If they are sure it is not an infection or anything, I would consider seeing a chiro to get it checked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness