Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 12:59 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times

Advertisements

Simple answer is yes, he can die from it. others will have to answer about monitoring it. Certainly someone needs to monitor his behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,032 times
I'm glad that you are willing to do what your doctor recommended; never drink again. Unfortunately my boyfriend who I took to the er and spent a week recovering has lost weight and now thinks it's ok to drink again. It's only a beer! He argues with me after I find him secretly drinking in the yard. You are right, it is a disease with a personal choice. I fear his choices, while his, will unfortunately drastically affect me. And it makes me so sad. I don't know what to do.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:21 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,474 times
I just want to point out a few alternatives, so that AA does not dominate and appear to be the only way to stop drinking. Other groups include Women for Sobriety, SMART, LifeRing and Rational Recovery (although RR does not have groups anymore).

WFS is uplifting and does not focus on powerlessness and requires no belief in God or a higher power.

LifeRing's motto is "Don't drink no matter what."

SMART derives it's philosophy from rational emotive therapy.

Rational Recovery is more a do it yourself way.

The Sinclair method is worth looking into, although I confess I don't know much about it, but there is plenty on the Net to inform you.

There are forums on the Net which encourage use of naltrexone, baclofen, Campral and maybe some other drugs I am forgetting.

Milk Thistle is supposed to be good for the liver and I take it when I remember. Part of the reason I take it is because I am on Singulair (asthma), three blood pressures meds, and other meds for depression and anxiety and ADD. That's a LOT of drugs for my liver to process and milk thistle does help.

A huge portion of those in AA actually have untreated mental illness and could benefit from psychotropic drugs. The only catch with these drugs is they can be hard on the liver and ESPECIALLY if combined with alcohol, but it doesn't sound to me like that is an option for you anymore. Still, for some people whose drinking is a result of untreated mental illness, these drugs can be essential to recovery. When you have a drinking issue (as I call it) and a mental health issue, one is called dual diagnosis. You can google on that to find out more information,

I'd post links to all of these other paths but don't think it's kosher to do so in this forum. You can google on all of them.

The point is science has advanced and you don't need a God or higher power in your life to stop drinking. These other paths work better for some people than AA. In fact, studies have shown that for those with mental health challenges AA is not nearly as effective as other approaches. Unfortunately, due to the predominance of AA you don't hear about these other groups usually. Well, I am here to tell you they're out there.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:34 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,474 times
BTW, I did have a friend who had acute pancreatitus. The crazy thing is she'd been throwing up for weeks (while heavily drinking) and thought she might be pregnant (she is post menopausal). She ended up in the hospital with pancreatitis and was discharged. She immediately went home and started drinking again and packed her backpack to go back to the hospital. This time she ended up with acute renal failure. BTW, she had flatlined once in her drinking career so it's incredible she was still alive.

Anyway, drinking is out for her completely now. Her life got back on track. I lost touch with her and hope she is still doing well.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:08 AM

33,529 posts, read 37,130,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
People diagnosed with pancreatitis can never drink again or they will die. It may not happen the first time or second but I've seen it and the people don't believe they can't drink anymore. That if they do they will die. Please if you've been diagnosed don't drink anymore; it will kill you.
Who the heck told you that? Alcohol is not the only cause of panreatitis. I spent ten days in the hospital with it on a diet of IV and morphine a few years ago. Mine was caused by a gall stone...The pancreatic duct joins the duct from the gall bladder and a gall stone sometimes lodges where they join and blocks everything up like a stuck drain...This causes the digestive enzymes to back up into the pancreas and digest the pancreas...A very poor design I'd say...I had my gall bladder removed, and have had no problems since, and I do drink occasionally.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:04 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Who the heck told you that? Alcohol is not the only cause of panreatitis.........................
The discussion was about alcohol-induced pancreatitis.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
The discussion was about alcohol-induced pancreatitis.
Yeah I know, but I think it is often misdiagnosed...

Old 08-30-2011, 05:13 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,724,870 times
Quote:
Yeah I know, but I think it is often misdiagnosed...
And you received your medical degree from where ?

Old 08-30-2011, 05:16 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,610 times
Quote:
Who the heck told you that? Alcohol is not the only cause of panreatitis. I spent ten days in the hospital with it on a diet of IV and morphine a few years ago. Mine was caused by a gall stone...The pancreatic duct joins the duct from the gall bladder and a gall stone sometimes lodges where they join and blocks everything up like a stuck drain...This causes the digestive enzymes to back up into the pancreas and digest the pancreas...A very poor design I'd say...I had my gall bladder removed, and have had no problems since, and I do drink occasionally.
Where did I say that it was caused only by alcohol? Where ... please ... I'm waiting ...

Hey; thanks for the anatomy lesson.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
And you received your medical degree from where ?
Don't need one...They diagnosed my problem as alcohol related at first, but discovered they were wrong...Why the sarcasm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness