Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 04:04 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I had a tooth pulled now I have to get an implant, but I might need a bone graft, I was wondering if anyone here has had one and what it was like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 04:46 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Well, do you HAVE to get an implant? I had one pulled a couple of years ago and opted out of getting the implant. It was not a front tooth like most people think down here in Texas we don't have any teeth, lol. It was the last one in the very back so I decided I did not want to go thru the pain, I'm a BIG chicken when it comes to this kind of stuff . Anyway, I've not had any problems w/ my other teeth moving so I'm happy w/ that decision. If it is one that is near the front though............ then I might have done it.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:52 PM

Well, I've already lost the very back one on the upper left. I didn't get that one replaced and like you I haven't missed it. This is the next tooth after that and the dentist said it's a major chewing tooth and I would miss it. But I sure don't look forward to the pain part, I'm a big chicken when it comes to that too.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:20 PM

14 posts, read 114,564 times
My daughter had one here in RAleigh, NC a few years ago and didn't think it was too much fun.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlasuem View Post
My daughter had one here in RAleigh, NC a few years ago and didn't think it was too much fun.
Could you tell me more about it? Did they put her to sleep?

Old 02-09-2007, 05:39 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,187 times
You can go through sleep dentistry where they administer a blue pill (can't remember what it is called) about an hour before the appointment. You usually receive the pill during a scheduling appointment, then are told to take it one hour before your appointed time and have someone drive you to and from the office.
Once there, you're pretty reeelllalaaaaaxxxxed and then they insert IV's into your arms , keep you warm with a light blanket, and you wake up all done. PERFECT!
I had to have a bunch of the back teeth pulled and am fortunate to have two main chewers on both sides. I would have had to have had bone grafts as well to support implants had I chosen that path, but it was explained to me that the degeneration in my bone was severe enough from peridontal disease to make implants absolutely require a bone graft foundation....and it wasn't guaranteed to succeed.
I chose bridges and have absolutely no problem with them at all. I can't even tell which are my teeth and which aren't!!! And...they're purty too
Now for you, if the tooth is the last molar on that side and there's no anchor for a bridge, then you may have to undergo an implant to provide that anchor. But you might want to be sure to get an idea of what state your underlying bone tissue is in first, be sure it's able to recover, or at least that there's a good chance for it, before undergoing all that pain and trauma....and cost.
The other thing.... for all the horrors and nightmares I've gone through with dental issues, I finally did get the peridontal issues under control using soap and baking soda. It's been over 2.5 years now

Old 02-09-2007, 05:43 PM

14 posts, read 114,564 times
I hate to tell you this because it will scare you. They put her to sleep
(some kind of "twilight sleep") and she woke up. She told me later that the pain was unbearable and her hands were tied down with her mouth wide open and she felt completely helpless! She could not communicate in any way. I would address this question with any surgeon. She said the pain later was very bad as well. She was 18 and her first real "surgery" so, maybe that explains a little.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:50 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,099 times
I didn't have a bone graft but I had 2 implants. They gave me NOTHING but a pain for months and I was constantly back and forth to my dentist. I ended up having them removed which caused even more swelling and pain. I would never, ever in a thousand years, have another implant. It cost me a small fortune and I ended up with a partial -- shouldda done that in the first place! (No definite cause was determined for the rejection -- I'm thinking maybe my body rejected the titanium.)

Old 02-09-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
You can go through sleep dentistry where they administer a blue pill (can't remember what it is called) about an hour before the appointment. You usually receive the pill during a scheduling appointment, then are told to take it one hour before your appointed time and have someone drive you to and from the office.
Once there, you're pretty reeelllalaaaaaxxxxed and then they insert IV's into your arms , keep you warm with a light blanket, and you wake up all done. PERFECT!
I had to have a bunch of the back teeth pulled and am fortunate to have two main chewers on both sides. I would have had to have had bone grafts as well to support implants had I chosen that path, but it was explained to me that the degeneration in my bone was severe enough from peridontal disease to make implants absolutely require a bone graft foundation....and it wasn't guaranteed to succeed.
I chose bridges and have absolutely no problem with them at all. I can't even tell which are my teeth and which aren't!!! And...they're purty too
Now for you, if the tooth is the last molar on that side and there's no anchor for a bridge, then you may have to undergo an implant to provide that anchor. But you might want to be sure to get an idea of what state your underlying bone tissue is in first, be sure it's able to recover, or at least that there's a good chance for it, before undergoing all that pain and trauma....and cost.
The other thing.... for all the horrors and nightmares I've gone through with dental issues, I finally did get the peridontal issues under control using soap and baking soda. It's been over 2.5 years now
Thanks MoMark, they did surgery on my gum yesterday so that part you described about the pills and being really relaxed was just how I felt yesterday, but unfortunately the tooth was cracked so they pulled it, it's the second to the last one on the upper left side, I've already lost the very last one. I have a bridge on the other said and I never even know it's there. I won't know if I need the bone graft till I go back in three months so I'm going to stop thinking about it since I have no control over it and it may not even happen. You are the best MoMark!

Old 02-09-2007, 07:31 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Thanks MoMark, they did surgery on my gum yesterday so that part you described about the pills and being really relaxed was just how I felt yesterday, but unfortunately the tooth was cracked so they pulled it, it's the second to the last one on the upper left side, I've already lost the very last one. I have a bridge on the other said and I never even know it's there. I won't know if I need the bone graft till I go back in three months so I'm going to stop thinking about it since I have no control over it and it may not even happen. You are the best MoMark!
Your situation sounds better than I initially tough I love NC... If the one you lost is the second to last one, then there is an anchor there...and, if the tooth had to be pulled due to being cracked and not due to rotten roots (which was my case), then you may have a simple one tooth bridge solution!!! That would be a great relief!
You can get the gums in perfect ...well...pink and healthy shape!...by brushing with white bar soap and then baking soda every other day or so, but gently. ColdCanadian has used the soap solution going off my advice and heartily recommends it too.
It kills the germs and cleans the gums thoroughly without grinding down the enamel like abrasive toothpastes. The baking soda not only helps clean deeper, but it polishes without removing tooth enamel. Also, toothpaste is mostly glycerin which coats the teeth (that silky feel we feel with our tongues after brushing). That isn't a clean tooth, that's a film of glycerin our tongues are sliding over! Your tooth surface, if it's clean, should feel relatively smooth yes, but also have some texture to it, similar to a real pearl's texture. Your tooth enamel also can and does regenerate itself if allowed to. Your saliva is full of dissolved minerals from your diet that coat your teeth and microscopic minerals are deposited into the enamel...and over time, help build it. Toothpaste covers the tooth surface with glycerin which doesn't wash off easily and prevents the saliva from reaching the tooth surface. You'll also notice after a few months that tooth sensitivity disappears if you use only soap and only gently scrub with baking soda, but use NO toothpaste! Seriously! Also, soap film washes instantly off with a good gargle and swish around the teeth and leaves the teeth perfectly clean and film-free. And... a side benefit...no more morning mouth! Try it! I'm telling the honest truth!
Stay away from flouride toothpastes!!!! The flouride causes the microscopic tethers that connect your gums to your teeth to pull away, thereby opening pockets that can become debris filled and infected...not to mention causing receding gums. IT's TRUE!!!
It's a fascinating subject and I studied it by searching about bar soap and gum disease a few years ago on the web. I had nothing to lose. I tried it and kept up with it and stopped using toothpastes...IT WORKED!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness