U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 02:25 PM

175 posts, read 288,459 times

Advertisements

Hello, everybody!

I have had some trouble with my health and I'm thinking about going to the chiropractic. This practice isn't habitual in Europe but a friend says that chiropractics are well considered in USA, like a medical practice or something similar...

So, do you have any experience with chiropractics? Is it really well considered in USA?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 02:45 PM

4,324 posts, read 14,081,897 times
A lot of people go to Chiropractors here but I had a bad experience with one years ago and will probably never go back to one again. I was going three times a week for adjustments for over a year and I would never get better,so then I went to an Orthopedic doctor and received physical therapy and was better within a few months. Never had to go back.

Everyone I know that visits a Chiropractor never stops, they just have to keep going.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:51 PM

8,190 posts, read 29,794,478 times
I have had both good and bad experiences. If a chiropractor tells you that you can be fixed all at once RUN! A good chiropractor will make small adjustments, but make them often.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:05 PM

15,599 posts, read 37,105,069 times
Years ago I had been in a car wreck that messed up my back. I did the chiro thing for 3 months straight and never got better. One day I crawled into an acupuncture place. It was cheaper and in 3 sessions was cured. Never had a back problem since. Rumor has it the 2 work great together for fixing back problems. The needles are very tiny and you can't feel them unless you get to moving around. I highly recommend acupuncture.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:19 PM

175 posts, read 288,459 times
Thanks for the advises and excuse my chiropractics/chiropractors mistake ,

Old 02-14-2007, 03:26 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,306,512 times
We've been to a few chiropractors and have had good experiences overall. I would encourage you to interview the chiropractor on your first visit. Find out their philosophy of healing. Many chiropractors are in the business for repeat patients. We have had the wonderful experience of finding chiropractors that really have tried to fix the problems. My wife has been in many car accidents, through no fault of her own thankfully, and her back is messed up badly. With her chronic asthma it makes it worse. When she gets adjusted at the chiropractor she almost always feels an immediate relief on her lungs and is able to take deeper breaths.

I'd highly recommend visiting a chiropractor as it has helped all of us, including our young children (who sleep better at night...which is always a good thing). Note that adjustments on kids are very different and they usually use a tool versus the traditional method as used on adults.

If you have any questions I'll check the posts or pm me. Best of luck!!

Old 02-14-2007, 06:08 PM

3,360 posts, read 11,589,118 times
My sister-in-law is a third generation chiro. Most chiro's are adequite as they have to pass state tests. Then there are the ones who are really good. I have personally found those who go into it instead of med school are not the best. I also do not like anyone who uses an activator (the metal tool) instead of using their hands. It's a subtle art and the touch of hands not only helps in healing but develops in sensitivity as to what needs to be done. I also request that I don't get a full head rotation. I prefer the partial one.

The theory behind chiro is that the nervous system which travel from the brain on down the spinal cord branches out all along the way reaching each organ and every nerve in your body. When they become pinched from any number of activites, your body doesn't function correctly. This can mean pain, lack of feeling, or encumbored function anywhere in your body (organs/muscles/nerves).

Depending on your problem, if severe, you may have to go a couple of times a week for a month or two. If it's something less problematic you should see progress within two weeks. You may also need a tune-up once or twice a month for a couple of months till you finally fall into health and correct mechanical structure. Then again you may not. Sometimes all it takes is one or two appointments.

Most chiros should be able to help you. However, if your problem is not showing improvement within a week I would try another one and keep trying till I found one who worked for me. Most won't touch you without Xrays if you've had an accident (which are clearer than those taken at the hospital).

I've been to several but when I had a bad fall that kept me in bed for months for which the ER and my Dr had no clue (incl my then chiro), I finally found one who was in his 70's who saved my life. Within 5 minutes he zeroed in to the exact place that started the feeling tingling back into my previously weak legs.

An uncle, another chiro, was able to tell a patient whose Dr could find nothing wrong with her though she was having problems, exactly where to Xray her to reveal a tumor behind her heart. Some are better than others just like medical dr's.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 02-14-2007 at 06:41 PM..

Old 02-14-2007, 07:59 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,031,723 times
I have been to a few chiropractors, I found one I really loved, I have fibromyaliga, along with other health issues, buldging on the disk in my neck, etc. he would fix me where I was fine for a while, I only had three to four treatments each time, because some have you going three times a week and they never stop having you come in.
Mine was great, went back when I had problems, he put me back into the world with less pain, then I had to give him up due to my husbands insurance would not cover for his office any more, he refered me to another one, this one did the acupuncture, and he also was great, I haven't had to go back yet. So if you find a good one, I would highly recomend them. Yorkie

Old 02-15-2007, 03:21 AM

29,042 posts, read 48,333,267 times
I have a ton of back problems (deteriorated disk, crooked neck, arthritis, etc.), and have been seeing a chiropractor for years... I personally love them, and really notice the difference when I stop going for a while. But I agree with the others, that it's important to find a good one. My current chiro. is terrific, and in fact I just had a satisfying adjustment today - ahhhh. They do the standard hands-on adjustments, but there are other techniques, like NUUCA & activator... I've tried both of those, and they work well long-term, but I find the regular way is best for immediate relief. Anyway, I hope you find something that helps!

P.S. My sister is a HUGE fan of acupuncture, and has been urging me to try it for years... I just haven't gotten around to it, but would like to eventually.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:45 AM

7,139 posts, read 13,874,458 times
I would not let anyone do the HVLA (high velocity low amplitude thrusts) on me. A good one knows the gentler manipulation modalities. Or better yet, one who ALSO does acupuncture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness