Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,447 times

Advertisements

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Just wondering if anybody here has had Lasik and what were the results?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 01:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
My wife and I had it ten years ago and love it. By now we have even saved money since we don't need glasses.But like anyhtign else you tend to loose appreation of not wearig glass until you remember the hassle.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:42 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,273,608 times
I had it about 10 years ago. Went to a reputable clinic, but ran into some unusual problems. Had clouding in one eye and had to keep going back to eye doctor for about 6 months. Pretty much cleared up, but still have trouble with astigmatysm so have been wearing glasses ever since! I had been wearing contac lenses for many years. Not sure I would do it over again. It is nice knowing that if necessary I could drive at least during the day without my glasses or that in an emergency I could get by without my glasses (I had been classified as "legally blind" without pretty thick glasses/lenses before.) But just be aware that your night vision will become worse after the lasik, astigmatism may not be eliminated and if you are beginning to have trouble seeing up close, it will get worse. Good luck! A big decision!

Old 10-21-2008, 01:05 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,340,034 times
It's been 3 years now for me and I love it.

The problem I had was the day it's done, I was given these goggles to sleep with. I sleep on my stomach and side so these were uncomfortable.
I decided not to wear them and when I went back the next day for a checkup, one of my eyes was extremely dry and it took about a month to heal completely.
If you decide to have it done, wear your goggles.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Boy Oh Boy remember the googles too well. My wife and I both had the surgery the same day. Ours were wite and we looked like a couple in a B grade science fiction movie. My doctor gave us some drops that porevented the dry eye but said the googles were to prevent rubbing the eyes.Had to wear them first 24 hours then at night for a week until the final checkup. Never had any p-roblems with seeing upp close and some peole report having the halo effect with lights at night but neither my wife or I had this.My left eye was did not need the surgery and I can read all except very fine print now but my wife like before needs 1.25 reading glasses.Sounds to me like maja might have been advised not to have the surgery as I saw like three peole so advised when I went for the checkup the day before.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:14 AM

329 posts, read 1,271,619 times
I had lasik surgery about 4 years ago and I love not having to mess with finding my glasses in the morning, putting in contacts, an alarm clock with super larger numbers.

After the surgery after the numbing drug wore off - I was in horrible pain and tears and felt like I wanted to rip my eyeballs out - but knew I couldn't touch them rub them because I didn't want to cause permanent damage to my eyes - had my boyfriend at the time - go get some rumpleminz to kill the pain - drank till the pain went away and I 'fell' asleep finally. Next day I was fine though. My eyes were pretty bad though - 700/20 so I had to have more done than if your vision is better than that.

Pros:
Being able to see without glasses or contact. Love it when I am exercising and it is great when I am at the lake, pool, etc - before I was always afraid I was going to lose a contact.

Cons:
My eyes have been dryer than usually ever since. I sleep with a bottle of eye lubricant by my bed - worse in the winter. At night I still experience halo's around lights - although not as much as right after my surgery and my eyes are more sensitive to bright lights - lights at night.

Despite the cons and the pain I experienced after the surgery - which the doctor said was unusual - I am so glad I had it and love it!

Old 10-22-2008, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,385 times
Default Re Lasik

[font=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Here is a link that might be useful:
<a href=http://www.eyecenteroftexas.com> Houston Cornea Disease </a>

Old 10-22-2008, 01:50 PM

109 posts, read 757,395 times
had it done about 5 years ago and had wonderful results. would definately do again, wish i would've sooner. highly recommend. my sight is better than 20/20.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:11 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
My wife and I had it ten years ago and love it. By now we have even saved money since we don't need glasses.But like anyhtign else you tend to loose appreation of not wearig glass until you remember the hassle.
Ummm... hmmm. Are you sure your vision is A-okaydokie? LASIK... hmmm. I'm a skeptic.

I'm sorry for goofin' with your spelling. If you had a good LASIK result, I'm happy for you.

I'd HATE to hear from one of the unhappy "1%" on here, but they probably can't see to type at all. Maybe some day.

Last edited by McGowdog; 10-22-2008 at 05:21 PM..

Old 10-22-2008, 06:42 PM

566 posts, read 1,417,630 times
My husband had Lasik surgery last month. He needs reading glasses still but he knew this before the surgery. He has had great results and is very glad he had the surgery done. He had to wear dark glasses for 48 hours after the surgery. 2 days after the surgery he had to go back for a check up. The surgery center does several patients a day and they all had to come back 2 days later. The morning of the check up as we were all standing around waiting for the place to open, someone walked by and you could hear him mutter under his breath.."Looks like a Stevie Wonder convention". Too funny..everyone standing around with their dark glasses on. I wanted to have the surgery also but I am not a candidate for it. I have very bad night vision with terrible halos. They have told me that is you have this to start with it will more than likely get worse with the surgery. My husband is a little bit light sensative now and as someone else said, he had dry eyes also. He just keeps a bottle of Refresh Tears with him and uses them as needed. At first it was every couple of hours but now it is two or three times a day. Overall a great success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness