Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2008, 08:31 AM

2,539 posts, read 3,722,870 times

Advertisements

I've come to a crossroad in my life where it's time for me to switch career. I already have a bachelor's degree and my local university has a program called 'second bachelor's degree to BSN' which only takes 1 year to complete. I've been thinking of becoming a nurse for years, and I would love to hear your story, especially those who switch career to nursing after doing something else previously. How is it? The good, the bad, the ugly?

Please share...and TIA!

PS: I hope I posted this in the right forum, but if I didn't, moderator, please move this to the correct one. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 03:00 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,322,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I've come to a crossroad in my life where it's time for me to switch career. I already have a bachelor's degree and my local university has a program called 'second bachelor's degree to BSN' which only takes 1 year to complete. I've been thinking of becoming a nurse for years, and I would love to hear your story, especially those who switch career to nursing after doing something else previously. How is it? The good, the bad, the ugly?

Please share...and TIA!

PS: I hope I posted this in the right forum, but if I didn't, moderator, please move this to the correct one. Thanks again.
I would strongly suggest you become a nursing assistant first prior to going into nursing. It will be an eye-opener for you as well as provide a means of employment as you progress through the program, should you get accepted.
If you can accomplish that and gain a realistic view of what nursing is, we welcome you with open arms.
BTW: I am a RN (30+ years) and teach.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:29 AM

317 posts, read 1,748,871 times
That's what I am doing. I am starting nursing assistant classes this week. I figured it would be the best way for me to make sure it was something I wanted to do before signing on to a year+ classes.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:14 PM

638 posts, read 3,118,796 times
Nursing can be one of the most rewarding careers there is; but it can also be the most dangerous, exhausting, and emotionally brutal jobs around. I've been an RN for 39 years and still totally love it; although due to an on-the-job injury I'm no longer able to work at the bedside. I'm still working, however, just not in a hospital setting. That's another unique feature of Nursing: there are so many fields of nursing that if you tire of one, there are other areas of nursing that you'll enjoy better. Becoming a CNA is the best move you can make to see if nursing is really what you want to do. I wish you lots of luck and hope that you enjoy it.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:15 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
I'm not a nurse, but just wanted to drop in and say

YOU GUYS ROCK!

Old 10-27-2008, 05:22 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,322,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'm not a nurse, but just wanted to drop in and say

YOU GUYS ROCK!
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I bet you say that to all us "angels of Mercy"

Old 10-28-2008, 06:27 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
Just the hot ones...

j/k

Old 10-28-2008, 02:13 PM

428 posts, read 1,628,603 times
I am not a nurse (I am a physician), but my sister did just what you are contemplating. She worked in a chemical lab as a tech for years, but her real desire was always nursing. She finally went back to school around age 35 and got her Bachelor's in nursing, and has been a hospital nurse for many years now. It is very hard work! My suggestion is to do it only if you have a desire to care for others and an interest in medical field. If you don't love it, you will burn out quickly.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness