Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 06:56 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times

Advertisements

I'm disgusted by the kids today.

They are fat, eat nothing but fast foods and french fries and soda, and sit around watching tv and playing computer games all day. And worse, they are insolent spoiled brats.

America, how can you raise offspring like this? Is this the best you have to offer?

When times get hard, we are going to lose half our population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 08:07 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
I think being fat has become the norm, but I don't think it's a fully accepted norm. I'm overweight myself and still face issues due to my weight. overweight people are becoming the majority, but still face issues w/ the minority. it's tough being passed over for a job b/c of weight, or having to buy more expensive clothes in stores geared towards plus sizes, or having people give you the "look" when you get on a bus or plane b/c they think you're going ot take up the whole row, but truthfully, I'm not really sure I want that to change. IDK, I don't like rude people, don't want people judging me and putting me down b/c of my weight, but the above issues may just convince some people to lose the weight (of course, I do have thicker skin in this regard. in some cases, the above may push people into emotional eating and despair). sometimes, it takes a bit of external pressure to get the ball rolling

thankfully, I'm not huge (though "hugeness" does run in my family), but I still have my issues, and those issues have spurred me to lose weight (in my case, even though I'm eating better foods, I AM lazy, or rather, have issues scheduling in time to work out. doesn't help at all that I spend so much time on the internet!). nevertheless, I have NO weight related health issues, and am overall relatively healthy, other than bad asthma (which as worse when I was a skinny grade schooler). I do get sick of people automatically thinking I'm unhealthy just b/c I'm overweight.

the education is there, but people still aren't getting it. someone earlier mentioned that fast food chains are offering salads, and I see people buying these, thinking they're making the right choice, but they don't realize that their salad may be WORSE than a Big Mac! between the nutritionally deficient iceberg lettuce, fried chicken or "grilled" chicken that's less healthy than real grilled chicken, the cheese, bacon bits, and dressings, most people would be better off getting a cheeseburger and asking for tomatoes than getting a salad. when I go shopping, I rarely see people checking nutritional facts, even w/ all the info now made available on them. somethings says "no trans fat!!" and people think that means it's healthy, but neglect to see the item has like 50g of sugar per serving! and "whole grain" =/= healthy (maybe healthier). just b/c Fruit Loops are made /w whole grains doesn't make it healthy (god, how much sugar does that stuff have?). people still aren't 100% clear on whether diet soda causes weight gain, or what effect does HFCS have on weight and health. there's still a lot of misinformation out there, and the good info isn't reaching the masses

these days, it is tough affording healthier foods. cheap white Wonder bread is about $1 compared to decent, whole wheat bread which can be more than double the price. fresh produce is expensive and whole grain products (real whole grain products) are pricey. processed foods are evil, but for some people, there's no time to cook from scratch. and the stuff some people do cook from scratch may not be all that healthy (ie, massive amounts of cheese, fattening cuts of meats, refined pasta, etc. a lot of "healthy" recipes are diet related and can be a turn off for some). honestly, for me, there are times when it's just easier and cheaper for me to hit the Dollar menu at Mickey D's. drive through any lower income area and see the low cost options people who live there have (and in some really lower income areas, supermarkets won't even open new stores, leaving only mom and pop convenience stores and fast food chains)

the issues w/ overweight kids is just getting depressing. yeah, this is a very big issue that needs to be solved. not sure what the answer is, but I do think the hostility isn't the key. and yes, there's a lot of hostility and condescending attitudes present, not only in this thread, but in society in general. it's not as simple as calling all fat people "lazy" and "weak willed" and all fat kids "lazy, insolent, spoiled brats". comments like these don't help and don't make people feel any better about their situation (and yes, despite what some people where may think, emotional eating is an issue. stress and depression (and who isn't stressed and depressed a little bit these days) can cause people to eat more). as mentioned in this thread already, everyone's situation is different, and it's ignorant to assume fat people are fat due to laziness or some other character flaw

Old 11-05-2008, 08:15 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
omg yes and it is very freaky knowing Jabba The Huts are trying to take over our dear planet earth .

Old 11-06-2008, 04:02 AM

8 posts, read 16,369 times
Default Weight loss supplements here

[SIZE=2]After a few weeks of dieting many people start to experience trouble losing further weight. Most problems start to occur when the body has had time to adapt to a new diet, exercise or a change in lifestyle. http://theweightlossmiracle.com

[/SIZE]

Old 11-06-2008, 07:24 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,051,442 times
YES...go over to the food and dining section and see the thread titled "What's for dinner" It's sad what people are stuffing their faces with. Very sad. Winter doesn't help things out either.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:48 AM

78,390 posts, read 60,579,949 times
I had a bunch of kids over at my house playing one summer day with my kids. Two of the kids in attendence were 4th graders and they were...not joking....the shape and physical condition of the character Norm on the show "Cheers".

It was SAD.

When I go into Walmart I want to take anti-depressants as I go down the isles and people that can either barely walk or have to take motorized scooters and they are 40ish.

Guys tend to hit the bottle with problems, more likely to be alchoholics. Gals tend to hit the buffet with their problems. I get really tired of all the denial and excuses I'm sympathetic to a degree but my cousin complains about "genetics" etc. and then proceeds to eat an entire 1lb bag of m&m's in front of me along with a couple cokes....yep...it's not your fault....it's genetics. sigh.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:00 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,732,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Guys tend to hit the bottle with problems, more likely to be alchoholics. Gals tend to hit the buffet with their problems. I get really tired of all the denial and excuses I'm sympathetic to a degree but my cousin complains about "genetics" etc. and then proceeds to eat an entire 1lb bag of m&m's in front of me along with a couple cokes....yep...it's not your fault....it's genetics. sigh.
Omg, I had have a hard time watching that and not saying something

Old 11-06-2008, 11:08 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
YES...go over to the food and dining section and see the thread titled "What's for dinner" It's sad what people are stuffing their faces with. Very sad. Winter doesn't help things out either.
It's not "just" the food it's also the quantity. I love to cook and I love the taste of so many foods. I am very lucky that I also like the taste of healthy foods. Everything in moderation is key. I even bought smaller dinner plates and that's what we use. I'm from an Italian family so it's hard not to overfill plates and say mangia, mangia.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:10 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Don't equate "overweight" with "unhealthy." One does not necessarily follow the other, nor are people at a healthy weight necessarily healthy.

Judge not. Perhaps you wonder why you see overweight people in poverty ridden neighborhoods. Doesn't seem to make much sense, does it? Well, perhaps when you realize that the least expensive foods available are refined rice, pasta, etc -- none of which are filling nor nutritious -- and that full-service grocery stores are practically non-existent in those neighborhoods, you'll ease up on pontifications.

Oh, if life were only as simple as you make it out to be ...
Tired of this excuse. I've done the research and the footwork behind comparison shopping, etc. You can eat healthy on a very small budget. Next...

Old 11-06-2008, 11:30 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I get really tired of all the denial and excuses I'm sympathetic to a degree but my cousin complains about "genetics" etc. and then proceeds to eat an entire 1lb bag of m&m's in front of me along with a couple cokes....yep...it's not your fault....it's genetics. sigh.
Why not say something? If some is complaining to me about a problem like that, I just say something. I'm not good with helpless people for too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness