Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 12:48 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times

Advertisements

I have it too.. not diagnosed.

My hearing is dominant. I can hear the slightest sound.
If I go outside and sit on the step I can actually hear praying mantis eating other bugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 01:05 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
Synesthesia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is it that? Do you actually feel the noise?

Do you drink a lot of coffee or anything else like sugar, not enough water and veggies to elevate your anxiety level?

Old 11-13-2008, 01:50 PM

40 posts, read 85,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I looked up the names everyone mentioned but it's still not what I'm looking for. I really appreciate the help though. Earlier today I emailed someone I know that I believe knows the name. If they ever get back to me, I'll post it.

desertrose - maybe you should see another doctor if that's the type of answer they give. I'm not even sure there is a way to stop the condition I'm referring to. I have it and so does my brother. How I handle it is, I ask the person to stop tapping, clicking or whatever it is they're doing. Or I leave the situation.
I have the feeling my dr doesn't understand what I'm trying to say.

I hate to ask the people to stop because there are so many of us in one room and I don't want to be labeled the complainer. Anyway most of the problem will be solved in a few months - I RETIRE!!!! yipeeeeee

Old 11-13-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrose09 View Post

I hate to ask the people to stop because there are so many of us in one room and I don't want to be labeled the complainer. Anyway most of the problem will be solved in a few months - I RETIRE!!!! yipeeeeee
Desertrose, do you go to gardenweb?

Old 11-13-2008, 04:06 PM

40 posts, read 85,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Desertrose, do you go to gardenweb?
no

Old 11-13-2008, 11:09 PM

412 posts, read 1,751,847 times
I have Auditory Processing Disorder, or at least I was diagnosed with it but I rarely notice it. The only time I really notice it is when I listen to songs I get the lyrics terribly confused because the music and the words mix up. Like that song that says "I like the way you shake and you move" I thought it said "I like the wind and the moon" until just recently. I think as you age it goes away.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:48 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,776,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Synesthesia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is it that? Do you actually feel the noise?

Do you drink a lot of coffee or anything else like sugar, not enough water and veggies to elevate your anxiety level?
I never heard of that and I read the description but I don't think it's what I'm looking for. No I don't feel the noise, except the irritation if brings. I don't drink coffe at all or use sugar in anything. I only drink water (and wine) and I don't eat meat, so I eat a lot of vegetables. It's hereditary and not caused by food. My father had it, one of my brothers and my half sister also have it. It's just small noises that we can't block out and sound louder to us then to other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrose09 View Post
Good for you! I work from home, so I don't have to deal with it often but I had to ask my SO to get rid of his gum the other day. I couldn't take hearing him chew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I have it too.. not diagnosed.

My hearing is dominant. I can hear the slightest sound.
If I go outside and sit on the step I can actually hear praying mantis eating other bugs.
I don't even want to think about that! I'm so afraid of bugs and very rarely sit on my porch. I've never been diagnosed but I know that I have it and my family members. I also have a very strong sense of smell. I always smell things other people cannot. I wish it was my eye sight because as I get older that's getting a lot worse. Smelling things a lot of the time is not pleasurable.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I don't even want to think about that! I'm so afraid of bugs and very rarely sit on my porch. I've never been diagnosed but I know that I have it and my family members. I also have a very strong sense of smell. I always smell things other people cannot. I wish it was my eye sight because as I get older that's getting a lot worse. Smelling things a lot of the time is not pleasurable.
Yeah, it's pretty gross to hear an insect getting ripped apart.

I'm also the same with smells, but think the hearing is more sensitive.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:48 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
I'm sure this sounds minor to those that don't experience it but it can ruin relationships.
I have always assumed it was something wrong with me that I couldn't figure out how to control.Until this thread, I never even knew there were other people that are bothered with this.
Always said the way to drive me screamingly insane would be to stick me in a small room with someone clicking a pen, cracking gum,eating noisily or sniffing.
What I would like to know from you is this...and it's why I figured certain noises only were some subconscious problems of my own.......
if , say, the sound is that of a clicking pen coming from out of eyesight, and I then find out it is caused by something else......say something mechanical.....it stops bothering me.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:57 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,776,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I'm sure this sounds minor to those that don't experience it but it can ruin relationships.
I have always assumed it was something wrong with me that I couldn't figure out how to control.Until this thread, I never even knew there were other people that are bothered with this.
Always said the way to drive me screamingly insane would be to stick me in a small room with someone clicking a pen, cracking gum,eating noisily or sniffing.
What I would like to know from you is this...and it's why I figured certain noises only were some subconscious problems of my own.......
if , say, the sound is that of a clicking pen coming from out of eyesight, and I then find out it is caused by something else......say something mechanical.....it stops bothering me.
No, you are not alone. Like I said there are three people in my family that have this condition. I'm not sure I understand your last sentence...do you mean, you think it's a pen but it's not and if it's not it doesn't bother you anymore? For me, it doesn't matter. If it's a consistant sound, pen tapping/clicking, gum cracking, clock ticking etc...I can't take it. I'm also bothered by people talking in a theatre, baby crying on a plane and stuff like that but I think that bothers everyone, it's just that I can't block it out and it's all I hear when it's happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness