Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2008, 11:16 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,190,566 times

Advertisements

Just received this from a friend and thought it important info to post! One never knows the accuracy of these e-mail 'warnings' but you might want to check out the fda link below for yourselves. Apparently there are numerous drugs that contain this potentially dangerous component.

Thank goodness for the internet and the city-data forum..

I received this information from a friend whose mother recently passed away. Apparently, this was caused by a medication that is deadly. Here are the details, and I suggest you pass it on to your loved ones and others.

Subject: Phenylpropanolamine (PPA)

I would like to thank those of you who expressed condolences on the recent passing of my mother. She suffered a hemorrhagic stroke while she was driving home from my house on July 30th and passed away on August 3rd. My mother's stroke and passing was an enormous shock to my family, because she did not have any symptoms or risk factors for a stroke. Just the week before she had gone to her doctor for a check up and received a clean bill of health.

She did, however, develop a cold while she was visiting me and had taken Alka Seltzer Cold Plus for 3 days. Since her passing, we have learned that Alka Seltzer is one of the many cold medicines that contains Phenylpropanolamine (PPA), which can cause hemorrhagic stokes or cerebral bleeding, even with the first use. I am forwarding a list of other medications that currently use PPA.. These medicines are supposedly being recalled but my mother just purchased this medication less than two weeks ago. Pharmaceutical companies have known about this danger for years, we unfortunately, did not.

I urge you to review the list of medicines with PPA and avoid these medications. All drugs containing PHENYLPROPANOLAMINE are dangerous. You may want to try calling the 800 number listed on most drug boxes and inquire about a REFUND. Please read this CAREFULLY. Also, please pass this on to everyone you know. STOP TAKING anything containing this ingredient.

It has been linked to increased hemorrhagic stroke (bleeding in brain) among women ages 18-49 in the three days after starting use of the medication. Problems were not found in men, but the FDA recommended that everyone (even children) seek alternative medicine.

http://www.fda. gov/cder/ drug/infopage/ ppa/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 12:25 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Wow...I wish they had a list still...

Old 11-16-2008, 06:27 PM

566 posts, read 1,417,388 times
A few years ago a very dear friend of mine was not feeling well. He took Alka Selzer (his girlfriend was with him, this is how we know he took it). We got a phone call that evening...he suffered a stroke. He died a week later. He was in his mid thirties. The doctor's told us they believe it was caused by the Alka Selzer. I am sure there has to be a problem to start with but they believe this is what triggered his stroke. If you google Alka Selzer and strokes there is a warning about it. Thank you Sarahsal for bringing this up for others to beware of.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Wow...I wish they had a list still...
Here's the list... It's pretty extensive and eliminates a lot of commonly used meds...
I also tried to post this on my local forum but it was deleted by the moderator since apparently you can't post a thread twice on City-Data - too bad. But perhaps those who are concerned can send this info on to friends.

The following medications contain Phenylpropanolamine :-

1. Acutrim Diet Gum Appetite Suppressant
2. Acutrim Plus Dietary Supplements
3. Acutrim Maximum Strength Appetite Control
4. Alka-Seltzer Plus Children's Cold Medicine Effervescent
5. Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold medicine (Cherry or
Orange )
6. Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold Medicine Original
7. Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Cough Medicine Effervescent
8. Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Flu Medicine
9. Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Sinus Effervescent
10. Alka Seltzer Plus Night-Time Cold Medicine
11. BC Allergy Sinus Cold Powder
12. BC Sinus Cold Powder
13. Comtrex Flu Therapy & Fever Relief
14. Day & Night Contac 12-Hour Cold Capsules
15. Contac 12 Hour Caplets
16. Coricidin D Cold, Flu & Sinus
17. Dexatrim Caffeine Free
18. Dexatrim Extended Duration
19. Dexatrim Gelcaps
20. Dexatrim Vitamin C/Caffeine Free
21. Dimetapp Cold & Allergy Chewable Tablets
22. Dimetapp Cold & Cough Liqui-Gels
23. Dimetapp DM Cold & Cough Elixir
24. Dimetapp Elixir
25. Dimetapp 4-Hour Liquid Gels
26. Dimetapp 4-Hour Tablets
27. Dimetapp 12-Hour Extentabs Tablets
28. Naldecon DX Pediatric Drops
29. Permathene Mega-16
30. Robitussin CF
31. Tavist-D 12-Hour Relief of Sinus & Nasal Congestion
32. Triaminic DM Cough Relief
33. Triaminic Expectorant Chest & Head
34. Triaminic Syrup Cold & Allergy
35. Triaminic Triaminicol Cold & Cough

I just found out and called the 800# on the container for Triaminic and they informed me that they are voluntarily recalling the following medicines because of a certain ingredient that is causing strokes and seizures in children:

1 Orange 3D Cold & Allergy Cherry (Pink)
2. 3D Cold & Cough Berry
3. 3D Cough Relief Yellow 3D Expectorant

They are asking you to call them at 800-548-3708 with the lot number on the box so they can send you postage for you to send it back to them, and they will also issue you a refund. If you know of anyone else with small children, PLEASE PASS THIS ON. THIS IS SERIOUS STUFF!

DO PASS ALONG TO ALL ON YOUR MAILING LIST so people are informed. They can then pass it along to their families.

To confirm these findings, please take time to check the following:

http://www.fda. gov/cder/ drug/infopage/ ppa/

Old 11-17-2008, 10:01 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
This e-mail is ancient and outdated. Most manfacturers have taken this stuff out of their products already.

snopes.com: PPA Recall Alert

Old 11-17-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This e-mail is ancient and outdated. Most manfacturers have taken this stuff out of their products already.

Snopes is crap. Plus how many of you have medication in the cuboard from..oh...WW2 or so it seems...lol

They reformulate all the time so you can just flip your products to check for the chemical. Funny thing is with that list..I havent taken traditional OTC stuff in years because it made me feel dizzy and my heart pound...Everyone I tried is on that g.d. list! Well I survived...for now....

Old 11-17-2008, 03:26 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Makes you wonder what else is out there causing problems we don't know about yet. Look how long it took them to get this stuff off the market. Oh, and if you're feeling dizzy and/or having seizures or memory loss, get rid of your aspartame laced diet soda. You'll probably feel better.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Only the other day I received this from a reliable friend and deemed it important enough to disseminate.. Whether it's outdated or not, it seemed like crucial information to be aware of (and concerned about).

Old 11-18-2008, 11:05 AM

I agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness