Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:13 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times

Advertisements

My parents taught me growing up that if it tastes bad to you, imagine what it would do to the germs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
I've used the hot toddy with a sprinkle of ginger or black pepper for years. I was usually better the next morning.
That sounds good, more for a solution to my day at work then a cold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 11:03 AM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,198,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
If you can get it down! Yuck!
I have this head cold and my husband brought me in a shot of his whiskey and told me to drink it, that it was good medicine. He said that they used to drink it in the day, when people were sick, or hurt.
Right directly after I drank it, my nose cleared up, as before it was all stopped up..I couldn`t breathe! Maybe I better have another....
I SO agree with you... I keep a small bottle of Jager in the freezer - just for this... I knew someone that was sick sick sick all the time and couldn't get over the cold.. coughing, sneezing, went to see the Dr several times... I told them "GET SOME JAGER".. at first they were extremely skeptical until they tried it... Guess what... they now keep a bottle in their freezer

Gotta love good old fashioned snake oil! LOL

Old 03-31-2009, 06:36 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
I hope you aren't going to work! You know call me a big jerk but I just don't buy it when people say they need whiskey to "cure" them

Old 03-31-2009, 06:58 PM

242 posts, read 1,186,797 times
Default Whiskey, it's a good medicine

Sure is! Good to swish it in your mouth, kills germs in your mouth and if you have a tooth that is bothering you swish and let it stay in there, kILLS GERMS like PRONTO! Champagne workd too

Old 12-04-2009, 07:05 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapalua View Post
Sure is! Good to swish it in your mouth, kills germs in your mouth and if you have a tooth that is bothering you swish and let it stay in there, kILLS GERMS like PRONTO! Champagne workd too
That stings like a B! But I found I had a tooth problem one day doing this...for pleasure rather than 'science'.

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I got repped and wanted to check. Time for some Friday stress medicine.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:52 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I hope you aren't going to work! You know call me a big jerk but I just don't buy it when people say they need whiskey to "cure" them
Then all of our grandparents and great-grandparents etc... must be lying, but I know it works for me.

A Hot Toddy when I am sick fixes me up quicker than anything else. I HATE whiskey for that exact reason (I am totally a vodka drinker exclusively), but even with that said, I will be the 1st one to go grab the Maker's when I have a nasty head cold.

1 shot Maker's Mark (or other bourbon)
1 tsp raw honey
squeeze of lemon juice (preferably from fresh lemon)
sprinkle of raw brown sugar

mix all ingredients into a hot cup of tea (I prefer Sleepytime tea w/chamomile) and drink till empty, grab your huge fuzzy comfy blanket, take 2 Tylonol and go to sleep, wake up and feel 100% better.

Works best if you eat a nice big bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup in conjunction with hot toddy and blankie.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
My mother rubbed whiskey on our gums when we were teething! 1950s. She always said it was a "Polish thing". She also claimed we all came through teething rather well. Thanks Mom. We were probably all snockered.

Years ago my asthma doctor asked me what relieved my symptoms. I said, "Vicks 44". He burst out laughing and said it was the alcohol in it. Then he told me that unless I objected to drinking or if there were family addiction problems, it wouldn't hurt to have a small snort when I was wheezing and having problems breathing. Excellent doctor, by the way.

Then there's the time my grandmother dropped one of those mega-sized glass water bottles and slashed the wrist of her arm open. Blood everywhere. She was alone and in her basement on a farm nowhere near a hospital and before the days of paramedics. She grabbed a bottle of whiskey and poured it onto her arm. Then drove herself to the E.R. The bleeding had pretty much stopped. When she told the doctor of her self-administered first-aid he said, "YOU DID WHAT?????!!!!!!" Then told her she probably saved her own life. Took him forever to clean it all out and stitch her up, but she did what her instinct told her to do.

I keep a bottle of Jack under my sink in case of emergency.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:47 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,656 times
It's a key ingredient in a hot toddy which knocks colds out of the ballpark (at least the symptoms and helps you sleep good). My great grandmother, lived to be almost 100, she drank a shot of whiskey a day and smoked one cigarette a day... cutest thing you ever saw.. and feisty until she died.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:12 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Whiskey is not bad as a preventative medicine either. A couple shots a day keeps the doctor away, kind of like apples.
My great grandfather drank one jack and coke per day basically until he died ... which was at age 103.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:49 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I'm with you Aptor and I think it's totally inappropriate for this thread to be on here advocating the use of liquor as medication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness