Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 12:15 AM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times

Advertisements

I have had 2 NCV/EMG's. The first lasted about 45 minutes and involved mainly the arms and wrists. The second test lasted over 90 minutes and consisted of 18 points on my whole body. I guess it was kinda nasty, but not half as bad as the nerve pain that I had been having.

Got diagnosed with Cmt1a (Hereditary Periphiral Neuropathy), all of the burning nerve pain finally made sense.

Oh yeah, there was a guy in the booth next to mine, he was also getting tested, he screamed his head off during testing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 08:59 PM

416 posts, read 630,508 times
I was relieved that mine wasn't as bad as many made it out to be. Reading horror stories had me nervous.
First a guy stuck me in a muscle with a needle and had me flex the muscle to get some readings, he stuck me in the hands, forearms, upper arms and in the neck. Then a female stuck some electrodes on my arms and used some kind of prongs to shock me.
I experienced the most pain when the guy stuck my palm in the muscle that controls the thumb than I did anything else.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:35 PM

977 posts, read 1,109,428 times
yes--very painful---was sobbing but trying not to. Told the dr he should continue, just give me a minute to collect myself, but he refused to do more---said didn't want to see me in so much pain. My (now ex) husband stood by passively, almost bored. Go figure....BTW, no diagnosis and now pheriphial neuropathy in both feet, legs according to new dr. wish it would stop.........

Old 08-08-2012, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,435 times
Have had back pain for the past three years with the pain radiating in the left buttocks area and have had several injections with no relief -- one my doctor wants a nerve conduction test to see if there might be a pinched nerve -- has has anyone experienced a test in this area?

Old 08-08-2012, 05:04 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
No, an MRI with contrast is the usual test as far as I know.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-09-2012 at 06:10 AM..

Old 08-08-2012, 11:51 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
I have had it done twice.

First time they checked about 10 different nerves and it lasted about an hour....not too bad.

Second time they checked close to 20 nerves with EMG and NCV test.....lasted close to 2 hours. Pretty painful but no biggee. There was a guy in the next booth over having the same thing done.......he was screaming bloody murder every time they zapped him.

I have a hereditary nerve disease and pretty bad damage to just about all of my periphiral nerves....hehe.

PS: if you have nerve pain that burns and burns, try taking high doses of Vitamin C (2-5 grams).

Old 01-03-2013, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,284 times
Default hum

I will tell you this procedure could and should be used for interogation. I have muscle weakness and pain followed spasms throughout my legs, arms, and back. I was refered to the nuroscience department of the hospital. When I got there to check in, I should have known it was not going to be pleasent when the receptionist ask me did i come alone. I consider my self pretty tough, broken bones and all, 4 major surgeries, and still was able to do what i needed to do, when it had to be done, But for some reason had i known that the CIA, Secret Service and the FBI wanted to check my tolorance for pain; I would not have shown up. The pulse part was barable, but when she inserted the needle in my spine to by spinal cord I forgot about being tough and began telling all my secrets and the secrets of those that trusted me. Then the doctor found the point of an old injury on the upper part of my back and inserted the needle. I came close to passing out when the procedure continued. Right in the direct spot that the strain was located. After the test was done i went home. 30-45 minutes later, i felt like i was jumped on by 4 or 5 guys, slow movements and pain. The next day my spine hurt so bad, the dog went and got me bottled water out of the Ice box. I made a call to the doctor for pain meds. Im still waiting. It is now day 3, and Adville is not doing the job.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:18 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
yes it is horrible. there must be some other way by now as I had mine done about 6 years ago. so much worse than child birth or anything else I've experienced and I've been through the wringer. I would avoid it at all costs.

i'm surprised previous poster was not told when he made the appointment he had to have a ride home. It is dangerous to drive after some medical tests and procedures.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:59 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,138,303 times
This NCS you all speak of sounds like it's what I need to get a diagnoses on pain, numbing, and spasms from the top of the ribcage all the way up and around down to my left hand. Anyone have a ballpark figure on how much and NCS costs, especially if you were a cash pay, but all replies would help. I'm currently without health insurance so I'd be cash pay.

I've already had 2 MRI's....bad back and neck and my D.O. thinks my arm problems are related to the bad neck, but I want proof.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:07 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
No idea on costs but all my docs offer 20% discount to cash patients, including credit cards.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness