U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 07:54 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,652,498 times

Advertisements

I have asthma. Last night, I woke up at 1:40 a.m. with an asthma attack. I used one puff of my inhaler. Then, at 2:30 a.m. I woke up with the same symptoms. I had to use my inhaler again. This time, I had to use it twice to get the attack to calm down. Then, at 5:00 a.m. the same thing happened. Today, I went to work on 3 hours of sleep. I was wondering at what point I should go to the doctor or ER. I just don't know what to do. I just went to the doctor on Tuesday because I was using my rescue inhaler 21 times a week. Now, it seems like my asthma is getting even worse. It did look like some of the farmers in the area are burning it is hurting my asthma a lot.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 09:30 PM

3,297 posts, read 7,100,715 times
A few things to think about -
Are you on any type of controller medication like an inhaled steroid or Singulair? If not, you probably need to be. It would reduce your need for albuterol and go a long way to reducing your astma symptoms altogether.

Do you use your inhaler correctly? A spacer device like an Aerochamber would help get more medicine to your lungs when you need it.

One puff is a teeny-weeny dose of albuterol for an adult. Try four puffs next time. I think you are just under treating.

Make sure you are telling your doctor that your asthma is not well controlled. There are many good medication choices out there, you just need to start on you.

Last edited by pinetreelover; 12-01-2008 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: Accidentally sent

Old 12-01-2008, 09:55 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,652,498 times
I am taking Singulair and Symbicort. I am also on Nasonex and Allegra for allergies.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:51 AM

5,445 posts, read 4,722,814 times
Just my opinion and story of my experiences.

I can only say what has worked for me and I am living in one of the most polluted countries/cities in the world - Beijing.

I have had asthma since childhood and I am now 52. It has not been particularly severe asthma, for example I have never been to hospital with an attack, but I have been taking ventolin inhaler 3 or 4 puffs most days for years and in the last year or two I have had one of those round pill-inhaler things (sorry the name is in chinese but made by smithclineglaxo and imported).

I got more and more into reading up on the internet about different things people have tried and decided I was not going to die of medication poisoning.

So, I tried a water fast. 3 in fact. first 7 days, second 20 days, third 10 days.

Now, firstly I would say that this is radical and can be very dangerous if you dont do it properly and stop (start eating) very slowly. Having said that, it is free, people have been doing it for years, and for me it completely killed my asthma stone dead. I researched it a lot and read up loads of documents on it too. My wife was not happy that I was not eating, 20 days is a long time with only bottled water to drink. There is a very strong social element to eating, and you miss having meals when you fast.

Now I dont get any wheezes at all, and I never use my asthma medication. I dont think I have used any since after day 4 of the last fast. I found out that diet made a BIG difference. Certain foods triggered nighttime asthma and made it worse (bananas for me, milk products too) so now I dont eat these at all.

I feel that we are fed all these medications and they dont us any long-term good. Our body only has to work harder to get rid of the toxins through our elimination channels. In the past doctors used to run clinics where their patients fasted or went on special diets and these were popular and effective. Now however, we are blackmailed by the drug and insurance companies when there are simple and effective cures if we can be bothered to look for them. These companies know this, but profit is paramount to them. End of my soap box.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:05 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,085,061 times
If your using your rescue inhaler 21 times in a day, you need a different medication. What else are you taking? Besides inhalers... Do you monitor your Peak Flows?

I just saw what your taking... Maybe you need an adjustment in your meds. Does something trigger your asthma? Like cold weather? Animals?

Old 12-02-2008, 01:36 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,703,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I have asthma. Last night, I woke up at 1:40 a.m. with an asthma attack. I used one puff of my inhaler. Then, at 2:30 a.m. I woke up with the same symptoms. I had to use my inhaler again. This time, I had to use it twice to get the attack to calm down. Then, at 5:00 a.m. the same thing happened. Today, I went to work on 3 hours of sleep. I was wondering at what point I should go to the doctor or ER. I just don't know what to do. I just went to the doctor on Tuesday because I was using my rescue inhaler 21 times a week. Now, it seems like my asthma is getting even worse. It did look like some of the farmers in the area are burning it is hurting my asthma a lot.
Go to your healthcare provider. Not all wheezing or shortness-of-breath is asthma. Heart failure, pulmonary edema (fluid in lungs) can cause the symptoms you describe.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:54 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,664,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Go to your healthcare provider. Not all wheezing or shortness-of-breath is asthma. Heart failure, pulmonary edema (fluid in lungs) can cause the symptoms you describe.
Wow--that's great advice.
To op: I have asthma also and am taking most of the stuff you are. I also take guaifenesin, now in the form of Mucinex (OTC). I can't breathe without it. You might think about asking your doctor if it would be ok for you.

Also, you mentioned the farmers burning in your area: I suppose you have tried to limit the amount of outside air coming in, but remember to buy and change frequently the higher-priced allergy air filters for your air system.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:41 PM

5,374 posts, read 14,795,179 times
You need to see your doctor--asthma can kill! If your medications aren't keeping things under control, GO TO THE DOCTOR!

Old 12-03-2008, 05:41 AM

5,003 posts, read 14,576,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I used to have asthma. I also had acid reflux so that was what was causing it. I have recently read that drinking a lot of water can heal it. I was put on a diet with a lot of water, but also one that got rid of my acid reflux and now I am well. I don't know why you have it or even if you have acid reflux.

I don't always get back to my posted messages, so you may have to pm me if i said anything of interest.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:34 AM

3,917 posts, read 10,427,719 times
Asthma is multifaceted.

My doctor explained the peak flow meter in depth and had me use it for over a month several times a day so I could learn the status of breath according to how my body was feeling. Then she explained at what points on the scale I should take certain actions.

1. Puffs of inhaler
2. Increase puffs
3. Call doctor
4. Go to hospital

She was very clear that asthma can be a killer and we each need to learn how I am responding and when it tends to occur. And treat it properly.

Then I worked on eliminating triggers from the environment. Dust and particulates were a trigger so all dust catchers (rugs and drapes and things of thick fabric were removed.) Windows stay closed since we are near an interstate. Electronic air cleaners, etc.

If you track your own asthma symptoms carefully, it can lead to perhaps food triggers, weather triggers, etc. Mine are cold, virus, and particulate matter or dust.

My Alburterol inhaler with 2 puffs is only good for about 2 hours. I take Advair and it works for 24 hours. (supposed to take it twice a day but once if fine for me)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness