U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 09:11 AM

659 posts, read 1,596,912 times

Advertisements

I know there is all kinds of info about how aspartame and Splenda are evil and the sign of the End of Days, but does anyone out there have any real-world experience going off of artificial sweetners or having bad side effects from consuming them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 05:25 PM

822 posts, read 2,745,974 times
Actually, yes. First let me say that Aspartame is apparently considered worse than Splenda. I was told by a doctor that they recommend Splenda for diabetics, if they (the diabetics) choose to use some sweetener, that it's the "best" of some sort of not great things (??). In any case, I've had these terrible migraines for about 4 years. At one point, I gave up Aspartame and almost immediately I went through a period of time where I had no migraines. They did resume, but at this point I just assume that my neurons are in a habit they can't break. This is the running medical theory. But yes, stopping aspartame helped and I believe the effect was real.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:42 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,233,721 times
I have been using Stevia, an all-natural sweetener, with no side effects and it takes great compared to Splenda!

Old 12-04-2008, 07:10 PM

5,267 posts, read 14,028,366 times
Personally, I think sugar is still the best. It doesn't contain THAT many calories and used not in excess, it's fine! At least, your body knows what it is and what to do with it--how to process it! Those "fake" sweeteners--you body has no idea what to do with them! And you can look around at all the really large folks swilling diet drinks---it hasn't done them any good, either! Just use sugar, in reasonable amounts!

Old 12-04-2008, 07:15 PM

436 posts, read 1,621,217 times
Like blossom4792 I get migraines. My migraines are more frequent if I have aspartame.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea13 View Post
Like blossom4792 I get migraines. My migraines are more frequent if I have aspartame.
I am a migraine sufferer and was told by my endocrinologist to avoid aspartame specifically. My acupuncturist agrees and added Splenda to the banned list.

My other problem is a family history of diabetes. I'm in decent physical health, watch what I eat, exercise and stay away from refined sugar, but I have to confess needing something sweet in my morning espresso and occasionally wanting something sweet after dinner, so I'm researching how bad Splenda really is and other artificial sweetener options.

Thanks for the posts!

Old 12-04-2008, 08:36 PM

822 posts, read 2,745,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
I have been using Stevia, an all-natural sweetener, with no side effects and it takes great compared to Splenda!
Yes, yes - I bought some Stevia from Trader Joe's and it was awful tasting, but then I heard on ... city-data that I had bought a brand that was notofiously bad tasting. And there are critics of Stevia also, on the medical side. It is so difficult to sort through all of this, isn't it? I'm tending to think that sugar, maybe the unprocessed types, would be best.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:20 PM

10,071 posts, read 18,146,297 times
Yes, I had seizures for 10 years, starting in 1983, the year they started putting aspartame in the food. The seizures got scarier--at first I'd just get the aura, and that was strange enough, but then I began blacking out and falling to the floor so I went and got the whole work up, though they couldn't find anything wrong, so I had to take tegretol. Every year, around the month of Sept, I'd get break thru seizures, meaning that I was having them despite the meds. Then they'd go away again. Well, in 1992 I got pregnant with my first child and I cleaned up my diet and took out anything unnatural, and I remember thinking that I just didn't trust aspartame. Well the seizures went away completely and I've never had another one, and though much of what I hear sounds like hysteria, my personal exp is that I will never touch the stuff again--for me it's poison. I finally figured out why I was having them in Sept--I'd drink diet soda during the summer, and as the weather cooled off I'd switch to other beverages.

My brother, who is an airline pilot, told me that he started having memory problems and one of the pilots told him that most pilots he knows stay away from the stuff b/c it has well known problems connected with it.

I must also say that I work with special ed kids and I know that the incidence of autism started exploding in the 80's, and I sort of wonder whether it has anything to do with aspartame--I've not convinced of the vaccine connection yet, b/c those were around long before the 80's. could the mothers consuming aspartame while pregnant have anything to do with it? It's just speculation, and I'm no scientist, but I wonder whether anyone has ever followed that clue.

I tend to not trust splenda either, and don't like stevia, which leaves saccharine. I've decided that it's probably not that bad for you, compared to aspartame--I just try to limit the sweet taste altogether, though that's hard, b/c I'm a sugar junkie.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Yes, I had seizures for 10 years, starting in 1983, the year they started putting aspartame in the food. The seizures got scarier--at first I'd just get the aura, and that was strange enough, but then I began blacking out and falling to the floor so I went and got the whole work up, though they couldn't find anything wrong, so I had to take tegretol. Every year, around the month of Sept, I'd get break thru seizures, meaning that I was having them despite the meds. Then they'd go away again. Well, in 1992 I got pregnant with my first child and I cleaned up my diet and took out anything unnatural, and I remember thinking that I just didn't trust aspartame. Well the seizures went away completely and I've never had another one, and though much of what I hear sounds like hysteria, my personal exp is that I will never touch the stuff again--for me it's poison. I finally figured out why I was having them in Sept--I'd drink diet soda during the summer, and as the weather cooled off I'd switch to other beverages.

My brother, who is an airline pilot, told me that he started having memory problems and one of the pilots told him that most pilots he knows stay away from the stuff b/c it has well known problems connected with it.

I must also say that I work with special ed kids and I know that the incidence of autism started exploding in the 80's, and I sort of wonder whether it has anything to do with aspartame--I've not convinced of the vaccine connection yet, b/c those were around long before the 80's. could the mothers consuming aspartame while pregnant have anything to do with it? It's just speculation, and I'm no scientist, but I wonder whether anyone has ever followed that clue.

I tend to not trust splenda either, and don't like stevia, which leaves saccharine. I've decided that it's probably not that bad for you, compared to aspartame--I just try to limit the sweet taste altogether, though that's hard, b/c I'm a sugar junkie.

Wow. That's pretty serious. OK - I was told by my acupuncturist that aspartame is actually a neurotoxin. I wasn't sure I believed her, but after reading your story, I'm becoming a believer. She also told me that when aspartame is heated up, it (chemically) becomes formaldehide. She cited an example of Gulf War Syndrome, back in the '90s. She said that Pepsi Co was very generous to the soldiers during the first Gulf War and donated lots of soda... and DIET soda containing aspartame. Well, the soda sat in un-airconditioned tents in the desert heat. So, there's speculation that the aspartame in the diet sodas may have contributed to GWS. Not sure I believe that, but it's an interesting theory.

I have an autistic niece and am very curious about the link between autism and environmental chemicals.

Thanks for the post - very interesting!

Old 12-05-2008, 12:09 PM

26,426 posts, read 11,708,330 times
I don't drink soda anymore because regular soda is too sweet and diet soda contains these artificial sweeteners. Is there a soda product that just contains less sugar (HFCS) like half or less?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness