Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2012, 01:42 PM

7,967 posts, read 7,302,848 times

Advertisements

Any of you ladies out there going through menopause really having problems with the heat we've been having this summer? In years prior to this, I could be out working in my garden all afternoon in 90 degree heat with just a jug of ice water, but this year...I can't be out more than 15 minutes at a time. It's to the point where I can't even go swimming in the afternoon. I'm confining myself to the air conditioned living room or bedroom, and even then a hot flash will come and I'm sweating rivulets like like I'm outside again.

How are you coping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 04:19 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,861,284 times
I haven't started menopause yet, but the hot flashes have started. I stay in the air as much as possible. I've been seeing this commercial fro something called I COOL. Might check that out soon.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:20 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,426,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsygrl51 View Post
I've been seeing this commercial fro something called I COOL. Might check that out soon.
Is this the thing you soak in water and it gets somewhat cold? My Mom bought them and we use them when we are overheating. They don't put out a lot of cold but I keep one in the frig to keep it cold. It certainly is better than nothing.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:50 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,861,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Is this the thing you soak in water and it gets somewhat cold? My Mom bought them and we use them when we are overheating. They don't put out a lot of cold but I keep one in the frig to keep it cold. It certainly is better than nothing.
Actually they are pills. Over the counter.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:07 PM

15,701 posts, read 16,955,091 times
I stay in the AC as much as possible.

When I have to mow the yard.....I wait until about 2 hours before dark.....I wear short shorts, a tank top cut a few inches above the waist, my long hair pinned up on my head and one of those neck bandanas with the ice insert..........a pretty sight at my age.....LOL!

I don't look bad from a distance.....just don't get too close.

Take a lot of short breaks.....drink a lot of water.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:35 AM

910 posts, read 2,283,297 times
I wish I had words of comfort but due to thyroid/adrenal problems I'm very heat intolerant and on top my car's a/c is not working. So I just go do my shopping and any errands that can be done then when the sun is going down or later if possible and stay indoors almost all the time. I even went and got a haircut last week because my shoulder length hair was making me feel hotter. Other than that I drink lots of water as I can cope a little better when I'm well hydrated. Avoiding hot spices, caffeine and other stimulants that tend to raise body temperature also helps, and so does eating plenty of raw vegetables and fruits.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:15 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,929,675 times
My problem with really hot weather and hot flashes.....a hot flash usually lasts about 3-4 mins. for me....if I am in a very hot enviroment, they will last longer....maybe 8-10 mins....very uncomfortable. I now carry a battery operated fan with me to ourdoor functions....the airflow helps immensely!

Old 07-11-2012, 01:04 AM

15,701 posts, read 16,955,091 times
I have several of those fans too.

One by my chair, one by my bed, one in the car.

I LOVE them.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:10 AM

943 posts, read 1,834,811 times
told that weight and how you dress in the heat can be factors. If you are heavy set you are going to over heat and if you wear the wrong clothes regarless of your weight you are going to also over heat.

dress light thin fabric light colors make sure you start the day with a shower and if you need one during the day to cool down do it you will be more comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness