Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2008, 08:00 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times

Advertisements

I've been sick all week, and can barely get myself to eat. Is this common for a bad cold. I'm trying to eat a banana right now and can only take a few bites. Maybe my body is doing this on purpose to focus on healing.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 08:25 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Not uncommon, but do try to stay hydrated with fluids, including juices and broths (low sodium).

Sometimes, having a cold or flu impacts our taste buds or sense of smell and food just doesn't taste that interesting anymore...for me, with a cold/flu, the only food I really want is hot & sour soup, extra-spicy, from the Chinese place--it seems to help with congestion...

Old 12-10-2008, 10:51 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,656 times
I work in the medical field. LittleDolphin is correct. It's not uncommon to lose your appetite when you are sick. I think we've all been there but the important thing is to keep very hydrated. You want to take in plenty of fluids; water and juice. Hot tea is also good just makes you feel warm from the inside. Feel better!

Old 12-10-2008, 10:58 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,690,509 times
it's totally normal to lose your appetite while sick, it happens to me also. And you know when you're getting better, when you get your appetite back!
Don't force it, just drink plenty of water, tea or broth, rest, watch some good movies and stay home from work. That's the fastest way to feel better is stay home!
there was a line from "The Devil Wears Prada" that went something like.."I'm one stomach flu away from my ideal weight!"
ha! ha! I love that line! unfortunately, my stomach is flattest when I'm sick!
Get well soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I've been sick all week, and can barely get myself to eat. Is this common for a bad cold. I'm trying to eat a banana right now and can only take a few bites. Maybe my body is doing this on purpose to focus on healing.

Thoughts?

Old 12-10-2008, 12:34 PM

Okay, I won't worry about the eating. I'll drink lots of fluids. Strangely the only thing I feel like eating are breads, so a little bit of pizza, and I bought a box of mac & cheese. Everything else looks gross. I'm tired, and I want to go to bed, but someone is here painting some spots in the wall that needed fixing. I wish he would go away.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:28 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Fasting is a natural way the body assists in healing. Animals fast when sick. Grab some OJ and sit back and sip.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Fasting is a natural way the body assists in healing. Animals fast when sick. Grab some OJ and sit back and sip.

That's what I thought, that maybe my body wants me to fast so it can fight off these germs. That's why we have fat stores. It certainly isn't going to hurt me to go 5 days with only a little bit of food.

O.J. sounds yuck, though. I'm drinking Polar Seltzers with a little bit of cranberry juice mixed in.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:35 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
Are you sure you don't have Flu? That can really knock you for a loop! Hope you feel better soon! Keep drinking fluids, and eat whatever you feel like. This, too, will pass!

Old 12-10-2008, 07:55 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
I think people don't listen to their bodies enough anymore. If I'm sick I don't want to eat, and I don't. As long as you stay hydrated you should be fine. I don't eat or drink much when I'm sick and cola drinks are usually what sound/taste the best, although I know water is probably better for you.

Take vitamin C! I've been taking 1000 mg/day for the last year and a half and really have not been sick at all. I take more if I'm going to be around sick people.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Are you sure you don't have Flu? That can really knock you for a loop! Hope you feel better soon! Keep drinking fluids, and eat whatever you feel like. This, too, will pass!
I'm sneezing. I'm stuffed up. I'm losing my voice. I'm in bed with a box of Kleenex, some crackers, and a 12-pack of seltzer water.

Flu is tiredness, aches, chills, fever, sudden symptoms.

My symptoms are more gradual and I have runny nose and stuff, so cold, not flu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness