Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 03:07 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
The 36,000 MOSTLY elderly or sick people with compromised immune systems, and those with immune system problems should NOT get vaccines anyhow.
And, with the injectable vaccine, it's KILLED virus. Dead. Can't infect. Your statement doesn't make medical sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 03:27 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,227,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
And, with the injectable vaccine, it's KILLED virus. Dead. Can't infect. Your statement doesn't make medical sense.

Nope sorry wrong. Kids under two get the dead virus. over two and adults can get the live in the mist or the vaccine, but it's usually the mist. And that is not what I meant. The elderly are those that die from the flu. They are the ones that make up the majority or the 36,000. Even the CDC states that flu rates among elderly does not go down even with so many getting the vaccine!

When you have a weakened immune system, you should not get vaccines!

Here are some sites I find helpful:

Flu Vaccine by Dr. Mayer Eisenstein, M.D. | Chicago Healers

Flu shot does not cut risk of death in elderly | Health | Reuters

If your intended purpose of taking the flu vaccine is to avoid death, you are in for a big suprise.

However, if you don't have the time to get sick, or the time to take care of your sick kids, or can't take off work when sick, the flu shot is for you!

I stay at home so I don't have to risk the health of my child with vaccines like this one

Old 12-12-2008, 03:57 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Nope sorry wrong. Kids under two get the dead virus. over two and adults can get the live in the mist or the vaccine, but it's usually the mist. And that is not what I meant. The elderly are those that die from the flu. They are the ones that make up the majority or the 36,000. Even the CDC states that flu rates among elderly does not go down even with so many getting the vaccine!

When you have a weakened immune system, you should not get vaccines!

Here are some sites I find helpful:

Flu Vaccine by Dr. Mayer Eisenstein, M.D. | Chicago Healers (http://chicago.healersamerica.com/node/1560 - broken link)

Flu shot does not cut risk of death in elderly | Health | Reuters

If your intended purpose of taking the flu vaccine is to avoid death, you are in for a big suprise.

However, if you don't have the time to get sick, or the time to take care of your sick kids, or can't take off work when sick, the flu shot is for you!

I stay at home so I don't have to risk the health of my child with vaccines like this one
Nope. Sorry. Wrong.

INJECTABLE vaccine which is clearly what ViralMD referenced IS inactive virus.

FluMist is live vaccine, but that is still an overwhelming minority of those vaccinated and isn't even indicated for those over 50.

CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Key Facts About Flu Vaccine

Because you stay at home that does not make one immune from the risk of contracting flu and most folks would state the opposite.

NOT vaccinating children risks their health, not vice versa.

Also, elderly does not equal immunocompromised.

Show me again where the majority of those 36,000 deaths occurred in IMMUNOCOMPROMISED hosts....

Old 12-12-2008, 04:53 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,227,861 times
I meant I stay home so if my kid gets sick I don't have to take off work.

And I have the insert right here from my doctors office. It says the one my daughter would have gotten is inactivated. There is an activated injectable one and then the mist that is live.

Why is the 36,000 commercial the same as the one in 2002? Woudn't the numbers go down if the flu vaccine worked?

You should check out the link from the CDC I put up. The number of kids dying fluctuates even though there is a vaccine.

The flu vaccine is all hype, and I don't have time to worry about all of you and your children (though I hope them all well)

I'm moving on. Good luck to you all.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
There is no "activated" injecatable flu vaccine that I am aware of. "Activiated" would mean a live vaccine. The flu mist vaccine is the only live virus vaccine I have ever heard of, and I have worked in nursing for 35+ years. Flu Mist was introduced a few years ago, and is only approved for people 2-49 years of age. Until this year, it was only approved for 5-49. Still, many people in those age groups get the injectable, inactivated vaccine.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
When I worked home health, everyone got the flu shot and everyone got the flu. Lol. Maybe it was less serious than it would have been, but who knows really? I think they're a good idea if you have a chronic lung/heart problem or or very debilitated in general. How are they sure which strains will be most prevalent each year? Guesswork?
Did everyone get influenza, or did they get a stomach virus (gastroenteritis)? This confusion has led to many people thinking they got the flu after a flu shot. I don't know when and how the two became linked, but they are not the same disease. Influenza is a respiratory disease which can last at least a week (sometimes more), causes high fever, constant severe cough, and total body aches. Diarrhea and vomiting may occur, especially in kids, but they are not the primary feature of the disease.

How do they know which strains will be most prevalent each year? Well, we in the northern/western hemisphere are lucky, b/c flu travels from the S. hemisphere to the northern, and the eastern hemisphere to the western. So we have a pretty good idea. Occasionally, the CDC does call it incorrectly for at least one strain. There are 3 strains of flu virus in the vaccine. In the injectable vaccine, these strains are inactivated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness