Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 03:15 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,016,150 times

Advertisements

I'm a slim(not skinny) very toned guy. I "eat right" and do I ton of body weight exercises, walk a TON, ski and snowboard.

For some odd reason, some people( generally fat,chubby or obese) always have something to say about my physique. As if everyone needs to be big and over/super sized like them.

America is sick. Yes, sick, there is an obesity and Diabetitis issue in America. Some of us want to take care of ourselves and at least try to be concerned about our health. If that's not your forte, I'm cool with that and you can expect me to keep my comments to myself. Your health is not my concern. It should be yours.

Generally non-fat people don't say things to fat people in public about how fat they are. That would be unacceptable. Rightfully so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 03:43 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I'm a slim(not skinny) very toned guy. I "eat right" and do I ton of body weight exercises, walk a TON, ski and snowboard.

For some odd reason, some people( generally fat,chubby or obese) always have something to say about my physique. As if everyone needs to be big and over/super sized like them.

America is sick. Yes, sick, there is an obesity and Diabetitis issue in America. Some of us want to take care of ourselves and at least try to be concerned about our health. If that's not your forte, I'm cool with that and you can expect me to keep my comments to myself. Your health is not my concern. It should be yours.

Generally non-fat people don't say things to fat people in public about how fat they are. That would be unacceptable. Rightfully so.
I got that from family members at a funeral a few months ago (in the midwest). I was called "skin and bones, skinny, emaciated..." lol! Yeah, I'm 5'9", 160 pounds and "emaciated" And this all came from obese people. I've worked out and done cardio since I was about 19 years old, never been overweight, and have obvious muscle tone. I didn't say anything since they were family members, but wanted to say, "Oh, and you're just getting fatter by the year!"

Old 03-30-2015, 06:10 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times
it's just rude and bad manners to mention anyone's weight to them; no matter the size.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:23 PM

75 posts, read 99,108 times
I'm a fit 6' 1" female and weigh 152 lbs, and get similar comments -- it gets really old, but I think it's an indirect compliment that reflects more on them, not us. We should not take it personally. If it really bothers you, you should come up with a prepared answer such as "thank you," or whatever works for you. :-)

Old 03-30-2015, 06:59 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:

I appreciate slim, very toned guys.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:46 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
They are truly jealous and are just trying to run you down to make themselves (and their fat) feel justified. Just laugh and walk away.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:49 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
Quote:
...For some odd reason, some people( generally fat,chubby or obese) always have something to say about my physique. As if everyone needs to be big and over/super sized like them...
Some people are lazy and will put down others who are better than them [cars, material possessions, competitive games, etc.] rather than working on improving themselves - bringing themselves up.

I've seen this behavior when playing a competitive game, which I was exceptionally good at - some lesser quality players would devote as much energy to putting me down or cheating as I did working on my game to improve my playing.

They could have been good players too if they used that energy to practice instead - shame they were too dumb to realize that!

Anyway you DO NOT have to listen to negative comments. Simply walk away from them while they are still talking! Don't say a word. That will leave them with their mouths hanging open.

If someone has something positive to say, then stay and chat with them.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:30 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,982 times
Quote:

The size standards of Americans has been changing for several decades. If you were "trim" in 1980, you are "skinny" now. If you were moderately overweight in 1980, by the standards of our culture today, you are of ideal weight.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:43 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,241 times
I'm 5'10 and weigh in the upper 120s. People ask me how I'm so skinny and honestly it's just how I am. When I found out I was pregnant with my first I was 144, but we ate more fast food at that time. Now that we've cut that out for the most part, I naturally dropped. My lowest weight was 124, which was what I weighed when I found out I was pregnant with our third about 15 months ago. I don't keep a scale at home, but I fit back into my clothes, so I'm assuming I'm close to that again. Sometimes I wish I could say that I did this or that (we do eat healthy most of the time), but it's mostly genetic. I plan to start jogging in the fall because I know skinny does not equate to healthy.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:13 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,016,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
I'm 5'10 and weigh in the upper 120s. People ask me how I'm so skinny and honestly it's just how I am. When I found out I was pregnant with my first I was 144, but we ate more fast food at that time. Now that we've cut that out for the most part, I naturally dropped. My lowest weight was 124, which was what I weighed when I found out I was pregnant with our third about 15 months ago. I don't keep a scale at home, but I fit back into my clothes, so I'm assuming I'm close to that again. Sometimes I wish I could say that I did this or that (we do eat healthy most of the time), but it's mostly genetic. I plan to start jogging in the fall because I know skinny does not equate to healthy.

A lot of people don't get the underlined. Now, that doesn't mean fat EQAULS healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness