Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 08:09 PM

513 posts, read 1,578,053 times

Advertisements

I've always been pretty healthy. I can barely remember the last time I actually need to take drugs more serious than aspirin. That being said, I'm going through a rough patch recent days, and I could really need some sleeping pills to help me sleep, do I need a doctor's prescription to buy sleeping pills or can I just go to a pharmacy and buy whatever pills I want to help me sleep?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 08:16 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,516,149 times
I used to take over the counter sleep aids. If you are just going thru a rough period, talk to the pharmacist for his or her recommendation. Sleep deprivation is very bad. I have been there. Be careful not to get addicted to sleep aids.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:25 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,563,814 times
A doctor told me a long time ago that Benidryl taken in the noraml dosage was a very safe sleep aid. It works for me when I just can't get something off my mind that I am thinking constnatly about.Myu wife has to take half the recommend doseage because she will sleep alot of the next days if not.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:33 AM

23,814 posts, read 33,304,662 times
Tylenol PM works for us.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:33 AM

41,763 posts, read 74,778,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Tylenol PM works for us.
Which is just Tylenol with Benadryl, although the Tylenol helps soothe jangly nerves, then the Benadryl knocks you out.

But before resorting to pharmaceuticals, I'd try natural methods first -- daily exercise, yoga, a warm shower, aromatherapy (mint, lavender, etc.) or chamomile or valerian tea.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:39 AM

607 posts, read 1,330,792 times
Look into melatonin as well. It's very gentle...worked well for me.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:40 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,901,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatfastnoodle View Post
I've always been pretty healthy. I can barely remember the last time I actually need to take drugs more serious than aspirin. That being said, I'm going through a rough patch recent days, and I could really need some sleeping pills to help me sleep, do I need a doctor's prescription to buy sleeping pills or can I just go to a pharmacy and buy whatever pills I want to help me sleep?
No, you don't need a prescription. Unless of course you want to buy the pills legally, that is.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:55 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,219,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seastar311 View Post
Look into melatonin as well. It's very gentle...worked well for me.

I was just going to recommend the same thing when I saw the thread! I haven't taken Script Meds in forever.

My parents use this occasionally too!

I love it. I don't use it often, but it does do the trick!

Old 12-19-2008, 12:32 PM

5,856 posts, read 11,858,565 times
I take calcium before bed and it helps me sleep. If I'm having a rough patch and need something stronger, melatonin or valerian works well. All are OTC. You have to be careful with the melatonin - most come in 3 mg tablets and you don't need that much. I take 1 mg and it works just fine. Cherry juice is also a natural source of melatonin as well.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:38 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,153,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatfastnoodle View Post
There are any number of OTC sleep aids - you don't need a prescription for these.

If those don't work, then something stronger may need to be prescribed by a physican. These types of medications should be taken only with a doctors advice.

I must say however that some medications that normally need prescriptions, are widely available in certain pharmacies in Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness