Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 03:17 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times

Advertisements

I am usually a VERY healthy person and often go for years without catching colds or other maladies.

This year, however, is a different story. This is the second cold I have had in the past 6 months and it is a doozy. I have never had such terrible congestion in my life. Last night I had to sleep sitting up because if I laid down I could not breathe for the congestion.

I realize that the reason I am getting sick now is because I am around a LOT of sick people (duh), but even despite taking lots of vitamin C and getting lots of rest and eating "reasonably well" (for me), I just keep getting sick.

Has anyone else out there noticed that they are getting sicker, more frequently lately?

20yrsinBranson
(eta: I hope that laid down was the right word. Maybe it should have been layed down or lie down - I can never keep those words straight) Please excuse poor grammar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 08:31 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I am usually a VERY healthy person and often go for years without catching colds or other maladies.

This year, however, is a different story. This is the second cold I have had in the past 6 months and it is a doozy. I have never had such terrible congestion in my life. Last night I had to sleep sitting up because if I laid down I could not breathe for the congestion.

I realize that the reason I am getting sick now is because I am around a LOT of sick people (duh), but even despite taking lots of vitamin C and getting lots of rest and eating "reasonably well" (for me), I just keep getting sick.

Has anyone else out there noticed that they are getting sicker, more frequently lately?

20yrsinBranson
(eta: I hope that laid down was the right word. Maybe it should have been layed down or lie down - I can never keep those words straight) Please excuse poor grammar.
People are getting sick more because of lack of vitamin d. people slather sunblock all summer and their levels drop. check out these links:

Avoid Flu Shots With the One Vitamin that Will Stop Flu in Its Tracks - Articles

Vitamin D Council | Understanding Vitamin D Cholecalciferol

Old 12-20-2008, 10:19 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,042 times
Listen tyib, I got a cold in mid Nov and it has taken me all this time to get to where the only problem I have is head congestion where I have to clear and spit. It has been a doozy this year. I haven't had a cold in several years now, so this one really gave me the old one-two punch. Hope you get to feeling better. I have talked to many people who have had similar complaints about it lasting forever.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:34 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
Is it possible you're having problems with your teeth?
My sinuses have also been bad this year, turns out about 2 months ago, my top cap popped off, taking what ever was left of the tooth. Eventually the tooth was pulled, leaving a hole, which the sinuses were draining from. When she opened it up so that it could get stitched closed she said I still had a sinus infection in there.

Another thing, do you still have tonsils?
Are you going to a doctor for medication?

Old 12-22-2008, 12:25 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Is it possible you're having problems with your teeth?
My sinuses have also been bad this year, turns out about 2 months ago, my top cap popped off, taking what ever was left of the tooth. Eventually the tooth was pulled, leaving a hole, which the sinuses were draining from. When she opened it up so that it could get stitched closed she said I still had a sinus infection in there.

Another thing, do you still have tonsils?
Are you going to a doctor for medication?
Well, I suppose that it could be teeth related, but I am tending to think not. I just have so much "gunk" running down my throat that it is really uncomfortable. Especially at night. I wake up choking two or three times a night and then sit and cough for a couple of hours (need I say I am not getting much sleep these days????)

I still have my tonsils, but I have never had any problems with them.

As far as going to the doctor. Well, unless I am literally bleeding to death or there is a broken bone involved, I don't go to doctors. I expect I will stop at the health-food store tonight and get some Echinecea and Goldenseal and hopefully that will help. I had a terrible sinus infection once - around the year 1998, and they knocked it out almost overnight.

I guess it was just my time to get sick. I should have taken more vitamin C, I guess.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-22-2008, 12:36 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,702,711 times
It sounds to me like your having severe nasal allergies. You really need to look into a neti pot. You can buy one at any health food store. It clears out your nasal passages and removes dust, allergens and excess mucous from your nose. All you need is the pot, nasaline salt (sold at health store), and bottled or de-chlorinated water.

It looks like a genie lamp. You insert the spout into one nostril and tilt your head and allow the water to flow out the other nostril. It takes a little practice to get used to and comfortable with. After your done make sure you lightly blow your nose to remove the excess water and gunk. Make sure you blow lightly and not hard.

There is more to know but google it.....its worked wonders for me! If you have any other questions just ask.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:41 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,702,711 times
Another tip-make sure you leave you window open a little bit at night. I know its cold out but that extra air helps. You may also want to try using a humidifier and/or air purifier.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:44 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,058,986 times
I have nothing to add... just wanted to wish you feel better soon.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:00 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
If you've had this cold for more than a couple of weeks, you might have a sinus infection. I understand your aversion to doctors, but if you have a sinus infection and get some antibiotics, you could feel better in a couple of days.

It's no reflection on your overall good health or your habits. It just happens sometimes.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:43 PM

894 posts, read 4,349,672 times
This is will be brief, but I feel your pain. I am the queen of sinus/allergy/cold. I agree with everything cleanclut said. Get a netti pot and ask the pharmacist for Alcolol, behind the counter. Amazing stuff.

Use a humidifer, start downing lots of Vitamin C, take some good probotics, which is good for the immune system, (especially if taking anti-bodics) and go get some really good Oil of Oregeno. Nasty stuff, but works wonders. Take a couple of drops under the tongue couple times a day to you clear up. It is a natural antibodic, anti-inflamatory, etc.

Also try putting some vicks vapor rub on your feet and put socks on....

Feel better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness