Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2009, 10:14 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,431,896 times

Advertisements

Hey all. a very dear friend of mine is in the hospital tonite due to a stroke he had on christmas. he was fine after a few days in the hospital.he started saying he had a headache 5 days ago that would'nt go away. well yesterday morning they took him back down to icu. the dr's said that he did not have a stroke but it was a continuation of the original stroke. his brain swelled so much that it shifted. so now he;s out if it. last night they said he may not make it and called in the minister. today seemed a little better. he's on a breathing machine but also breathing a little on his own. does any one have any input or maybe does he have a chance coming out of this? he is loved by so many people its just so sad and he's too young to go..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 06:22 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,853,900 times
This is very hard to do without further information. It sounds like your friend had a hemorrhagic stroke (bleeding into the brain). The other kind of stroke, embolic stroke, is due to obstruction of blood flow to part of the brain.

Typically, a hemorrhagic stroke has a stuttering course, over the course of hours or days, and stopping the bleeding is extremely important, because there's really no place for the blood to go, since the skull is a hard enclosed compartment. Thus the brain swells and puts pressure on the spinal cord and nerves. There is one way that things can move in the skull and that's through the foramen magnum, the opening through with the spinal cord passes from the skull to the spine. But pressure on this area compromises breathing and other vital functions.

If your friend is intubated, it's highly unlikely, depending on the settings on the ventilator, that he's doing much breathing on his own.

Again, without more specific information, it's hard to say what the overall prognosis is.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:25 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,431,896 times
yes i know what your saying about prognosis. i know they said they have the ventilator set to a certain number and he's doing some breathing on his own. they have him sedated so he does'nt become agitated. and with all the people going into see him and talking to him i think that gets him a little agitated. not sure if he can hear us but he does squeeze our hand when we talk to him.of course he's on a steroid to reduce swelling.the dr's say it does not look good but of course to keep hope. they will do another scan to see if swelling has gotten worse or gone down today.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 8,956 times
Post brain swelling

Deb, My son died from brain swelling after being hit by a car. both if his leggs were broken and while they were operating on his legs his brain swelled down his brain stem. Do you know of any support groups etc. that I can contact to find other peoplewho have suffered such a loss. Maybe there is a way to raise public awareness of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness