Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 04:44 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times

Advertisements

I've got a doc appointment but it's over a month out. Omeprazole seems to work for me but as soon as I stop taking it, the burn returns! Directions say to only take 14 days. Is it ok to take them long term? Costco sells them in 3 packs. I'm currently eating Tums like candy to keep the flames down...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 06:25 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
I've got a doc appointment but it's over a month out. Omeprazole seems to work for me but as soon as I stop taking it, the burn returns! Directions say to only take 14 days. Is it ok to take them long term? Costco sells them in 3 packs. I'm currently eating Tums like candy to keep the flames down...
You can take it long-term, but it can keep you from absorbing certain nutrients. You will have some rebound heartburn after stopping regardless. It usually takes at least a week or two for it to start working, so if you have some inflammation that needs to heal, it will usually take a few months. I think my dad has been taking it everyday for years. He has horrible reflux.

Old 07-01-2021, 06:33 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
For me, mainly avoiding foods that I know are causing me problems............mainly sugar and acidic foods.

When I do have a need to take something, an H2-blocker seems to work quite well.

Old 07-01-2021, 06:53 AM

5,982 posts, read 3,724,157 times
Quote:
I think that the best long term solution is to fix or change what is causing the problem. I was recently prescribed some Pantoprazole (stomach medicine) which I assume is similar to what you are taking. It does help, but as you said, when you stop taking it, the burning returns. So, the solution seems to be to change what is causing it.

In my case, it appears that drinking coffee on an empty stomach in the mornings and having a drink (bourbon) on an empty stomach in the evenings are prime contributors to the stomach burning. Also, meals that are heavy on the acidic ingredients (such as tomato sauce) are contributors. Also, soft drinks (soda, pop, whatever you call it) are high in acid content. I don't drink much soda/pop, but now I've completely stopped drinking it.

In the mornings, I now have a small bowl of cereal with fruit (banana) with milk over it first thing when I get up. Then I will have a cup or two of coffee, now drinking Maxwell House Half Caff to reduce the amount of caffeine which is the main stomach irritant in coffee. After that, I'll have an egg and piece of toast for breakfast.

I've cut out the late evening bourbon drink and, in fact, hardly drink any of it at all any time. I'll have a glass of wine (maybe two) with my evening meal. The food helps protect the stomach lining.

One more change I've made is to stop taking Advil on a regular basis. While Advil is not as bad as aspirin, it is still hard on your stomach. Now I only take it if really needed... and then only with food. No more popping a couple of pills just because I feel a little achy or sore from the previous day's activities.

These changes in my eating and drinking habits have helped quite a bit. I don't want to brag too soon because it's only been about two weeks since I made the changes, but so far, so good.

Old 07-01-2021, 06:57 AM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times
I switched to steel cut oatmeal from whole wheat bread for breakfast. That made the biggest impact in controlling reflux. Along with restricting to one cup of coffee, occasional single serving of wine, and less sugar overall. I think exercise helps. 3 to 4 miles of walking.

Old 07-01-2021, 07:36 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
hmm, I do drink a lot of coffee on an empty stomach in the morning. I'll try eating something prior. Regarding H2 blockers, I tried Pepcid and it didn't work well for me. Thanks for the tips!

Old 07-01-2021, 07:53 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
hmm, I do drink a lot of coffee on an empty stomach in the morning. I'll try eating something prior. Regarding H2 blockers, I tried Pepcid and it didn't work well for me. Thanks for the tips!
Even when you do see the doctor, they will recommend an elimination diet for foods that trigger heartburn- coffee, garlic, juices, tomatoes, chocolate, mint, etc. Each person has different triggers. I absolutely cannot have coffee without eating first, and orange juice is a particularly bad one for me. I LOVE thin mints, but I know the mint+chocolate combo is also bad for me. My best friend’s triggers are alcohol, onion, and garlic.

Old 07-01-2021, 09:10 AM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Even when you do see the doctor, they will recommend an elimination diet for foods that trigger heartburn- coffee, garlic, juices, tomatoes, chocolate, mint, etc. Each person has different triggers. I absolutely cannot have coffee without eating first, and orange juice is a particularly bad one for me. I LOVE thin mints, but I know the mint+chocolate combo is also bad for me. My best friend’s triggers are alcohol, onion, and garlic.
I do drink my one serving of coffee first thing in the morning which I love. I had to eliminate apples from my diet and Honeycrisp is my favorite fruit. But I can eat other fruits, all the summer fruits but I avoid oranges. I still feel the redux occasionally but nothing like the way it had damaged my throat. I dont take any medications for it.

Diet, smaller meals. exercise I think are the key.

Old 07-01-2021, 01:41 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I think that the best long term solution is to fix or change what is causing the problem. I was recently prescribed some Pantoprazole (stomach medicine) which I assume is similar to what you are taking. It does help, but as you said, when you stop taking it, the burning returns. So, the solution seems to be to change what is causing it.

I'm on that too. It's a proton pump inhibitor that reduces gastric acid secretion.

I went off of it a little over a week ago, for the silly reason that I keep it on the headboard and take it at night before I go to sleep, and when I took the last one in the bottle I kept neglecting to get a new bottle from the med cabinet (downstairs).

I tend to drink black coffee in the morning on an empty stomach, and bourbon in the evening, also on an empty stomach (I've only been eating once a day since Covid). Over the course of the week, the acid feeling in the back of my throat was increasing a little each day. After a week, I was uncomfortable enough to remember to get a fresh bottle and went back on it.

Now, here's the funny thing- for some time now I have been having a problem where after or just before I finish supper, I have a severe sneezing attack. It doesn't matter what I eat, I haven't been able to associate it with any particular food. I don't quite remember when it started happening. But, last night when I finished supper and got my sneeze attack, it occurred to me that during the time I had not been taking the Pantoprazole, I also had not been having sneeze attacks.

Now I have to wonder- does anyone else who takes Pantoprazole *also* have sneezing fits?

Old 07-01-2021, 02:25 PM

5,982 posts, read 3,724,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I'm on that too. It's a proton pump inhibitor that reduces gastric acid secretion.

I went off of it a little over a week ago, for the silly reason that I keep it on the headboard and take it at night before I go to sleep, and when I took the last one in the bottle I kept neglecting to get a new bottle from the med cabinet (downstairs).

I tend to drink black coffee in the morning on an empty stomach, and bourbon in the evening, also on an empty stomach (I've only been eating once a day since Covid). Over the course of the week, the acid feeling in the back of my throat was increasing a little each day. After a week, I was uncomfortable enough to remember to get a fresh bottle and went back on it.

Now, here's the funny thing- for some time now I have been having a problem where after or just before I finish supper, I have a severe sneezing attack. It doesn't matter what I eat, I haven't been able to associate it with any particular food. I don't quite remember when it started happening. But, last night when I finished supper and got my sneeze attack, it occurred to me that during the time I had not been taking the Pantoprazole, I also had not been having sneeze attacks.

Now I have to wonder- does anyone else who takes Pantoprazole *also* have sneezing fits?
Nope, no sneezing fits for me with Pantoprazole. I will add that taking Pantoprazole alone wasn't enough to stop the stomach ache and burning. I would often take an antacid or two a couple of times during the day and another one or two before bedtime.

Gradually, over a couple of weeks, taking the Pantoprazole and antacids, and watching what I ate and drank combined to help make my stomach condition much better. Again, I think that the key to solving this problem is changing what you eat and drink that causes it. The Panto helps, but if you don't change your eating and drinking habits, you'll have the problems again... and soon!

BTW, I'll put in a plug for a fairly new OTC medicine called Mylanta One. It's a tablet that's a combination of antacid and antigas medication all in one. I bought some of them about a month ago and they seem to work pretty well since stomach acid, bloating, and gas seem to go together. So, might as well get it all in one tablet.

BTW, my Pantoprazole prescription says to take one in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness