Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 06:01 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,577,631 times

Advertisements

My husband had a physical and has high cholesterol.
What are some diffrent foods that I can give him to lower this?
I guess the sausages are out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 06:42 AM
ino

680 posts, read 2,490,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
My husband had a physical and has high cholesterol.
What are some diffrent foods that I can give him to lower this?
I guess the sausages are out!
First question anyone should ask is...what's the number he was quoted as being 'high'?

Second question should be...how old is he?

I know nothing by the way, but these would be the two questions I would think anyone would ask.

Maybe a third question...what weight is he?

Old 08-13-2008, 02:31 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,577,631 times
LDL cholesterol calc: 138
Glucose, serum: 106

He is 32 years old, and weighs 210.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:43 PM

198 posts, read 351,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
LDL cholesterol calc: 138
Glucose, serum: 106

He is 32 years old, and weighs 210.
They like the LDL to be below 100, and the Glucose is on the high end of acceptable range of 74-106

How tall is he? What has to happen is lifestyle changes for permanent change. The cholesterol can be hereditary/caused by food/or both.

There are medications that can lower the cholesterol, but diet is extremely important as is exercise. Red meat should be stopped or cut way back..the same for eggs...eggs substitutes are cool...and anything else high in fat, sugar, or both.

He needs to exercise rigorously and often, and he needs to change his diet. It would also help if you did as well. It is a much easier path if both man and wife work together. Even if you don't need it, the healthier lifestyle won't hurt. If he smokes, he must stop, and if he is a heavy or even a moderate drinker, he needs to dial that back as well.

Good luck...staying healthy, happy, and alive isn't as easy as many would like it to be.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:49 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,194,474 times
Here is a link that might help. I have high cholesterol. It runs in my family even if we switch to a pure vegan diet. No real change. I quit worrying about it and eat with a little common sense most of the time. I'm big on veggies and fruit but don't shy away from meat & fish proteins. I simply eat broad spectrum to to speak and let the chips fall where they may. Worry is a killer too.

Diet & Nutrition (http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=1200010 - broken link)

Old 08-14-2008, 08:41 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,549,362 times
Do whatever he has to do to aviod the statin drugs! Make lifestyle changes, eat healthier.. I used those drugs and am still paying for it 2 years off it them still. Research the side effects they don't tell you about or admit to.

Oatmeal lowers it, walnuts, blueberries, also research that and natural supplements like Omega 3 fish oil. There are many things he can do without drugs and the damage they can do.

There are people who do need them, people with known heart disease but high cholesterol is not a death sentance for a lot of us like they are trying to make us believe.

EDUCATE yourself on statin drugs fully to see if the benifits will outweigh the risk, there is a lot of information out there. I was denied the chance to decide if the benifit outweighed the risk for myself, there was no information from real everyday people out there like it is now. I started out on NO medication until I took them and ended up with a whole bunch I had to take to off set the side effects which I stopped needing once I quit the statin. I was not far from being on disability and would be now if I hadn't realized what was causing all my problems.

From the April issue of Readers Digest

Moderator cut: you cant copy the article, you need to just provide the link, due to copyright issues...
Problems in the FDA: Key Problems With the FDA | Your America | Reader's Digest (http://www.rd.com/your-america-inspiring-people-and-stories/problems-in-the-fda/article55513-1.html - broken link)

(This was not discussing statins but all drugs)

Last edited by Suzet2262; 08-15-2008 at 01:03 AM.. Reason: copyright issues

Old 08-14-2008, 09:37 AM

198 posts, read 351,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
Do whatever he has to do to aviod the statin drugs! Make lifestyle changes, eat healthier.. I used those drugs and am still paying for it 2 years off it them still. Research the side effects they don't tell you about or admit to.
Hi Laura....I have been on statin drugs for the past eight years with no negative impact at all. My cholesterol is a genetic problem not a dietary problem. I went from a total cholesterol of above 280 to 180 where it is presently. My LDL and HDL are very good...can't remember the numbers I run five miles a day, and I watch what I eat, so the weight stays low, the blood pressure stays low (that is also genetically high and medicated), and I feel great. I'm 65, 5'10", and I weigh 145.

What negative side effects did you experience as a result of using the statins?

Old 08-14-2008, 12:35 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,489,188 times
32 isa pretty young to have that problem. He needs a life style change in eating and probaly excercise. If he does he can get away from the drugs but until,he does they can guard agaist resulting damage. I am surp[ried that hsi doictor did not give him a diet sheet. Goolge it and there are a huge number of reable sites on diet.There are all kinds of newer drugs that can help. Drugs effect different peole differently really and many drugs have side effects that are less of a health risk thanh not taking them.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:53 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,830,513 times
My hubby is 34 and was told this a week ago Monday... frustrating. His bad cholesterol (don't know the med term) is 240 and he needs to drop some wt... He is 6ft but weighs 230lb...well proportioned so nobody would EVER guess that to be his wt (more of an athletic build)... he is also Italian and many have told me that the Italian Genes could be to blame... His Good Cholesterol is SO good the Dr said he is not going to worry about the medication for now. I guess they balance each other out in a way???? I don't know...I am not a DR...LOL Hubby could be blowing smoke in my ear too. I have cut his fat and cholesterol intake substantially and he has lost 6 pounds! I am buying all of the Omega-3 stuff, FF, Low Fat, Cholesterol free, anything SMART BALANCE... I have already vented about this on the Food Forum... it is frustrating for both the "patient" and the "cook". I generally cook very lowfat to begin with... so it was more of a shock to me until I found out his AFTERNOON DIET When the cat's away the Mice certainly DO play! He swears that has ceased... the truth will be in his numbers... it has only been a week and half but he is motivated...and dropping wt... so that should help...

Old 08-14-2008, 02:15 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,194,474 times
I will never again take a statin drug. While the ones that had no side effects had no good effects either. The last one tried left me feeling like I had been beaten with a metal ball bat all over. It was a total surprise after taking 3 other statin drugs that did not bother me in the least. It has been maybe 3 years since that episode with the last statin and I still hurt some days. I can only hope it will eventually go away. I'm not sure and can't prove it but I also believe it may have done some kidney damage. I wish there was a way to know the truth about that for sure. Everyone must make their own decision with research and hopefully a trusted physician. Now I go again in a few days and know the blood test will most likely be high. The doc will not insist on any meds for me. He knows my bad experience. Mostlikely he will tell me to lose more weight and eat with common sense. For years we have used limited amounts of olive oil and smart balance. Some 15 years ago when I had my first blood test my total cholesterol was 610 with the tri's running at 3100. Now the tri's are normal and the cholesterol bounces between 240-320. I eat more fish, fiber from beans and oats etc. My body still produces an excess of lipids. Que se ra se ra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness