Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 25,656 times

Advertisements

My 39th birthday was supposed to be a fun day on the ski hill with my new skis I just got for Christmas. Now I am not a pro by any means and stay to the blue hills and have been skiing for 3 yrs now and I love it. I don't even know what happened I was on my last run down the hill and I ws heaidng to my right when the next thing I know I feel the worst impact I have ever felt. I was to my left and literally wrapped around one of the snow fence posts, sliding into the ditch, the only thing keeping me from falling into the ditch was the post and me bracing my hands against the snow fence. That was the most terrify thing that has ever happend to me. I knew instantly my femur was broken, that is the worst pain, it was worse than childbirth. I also knew that if I was bleeding I could die that is when the panic set in and I stated screaming for my husband, he was ahead of me on the hill. He heard me screams and didnt even know it was me he just came towrds the scream. He was able to keep me talking while we waited for the ski patrol to come. I must say they were an awesome crew. It hust like nothing I have ever felt being moved onto the back board and skied down but they did it witht he least amount of movement for me. I have a broken left femur and the next morning I was in surgery having a rod and screws put into my leg. That was 2 weeks ago yesterday. I am now home and recovering. I have a walker as I cannot put any weight on my leg at all and I just had my post-op check up and was told no wieght on it for another month.
I did get to see my x-ray at my checkup, looks kinda gross, you can clearly see the break and it is a clean one thank god, there is a bone chip in there too whciht he doc said will disolve. the bar and screws not sure how i feel about that looks unreal. i know it htere to help me heal and i am thankful for that but still it is weird looking at your self and knowing you now have spare parts in you. I have found this accident to be physically but also emotionally damaging. I keep replaying what happened from when I remember which is from impact on, I still get that sickening feeling in my stomach from knowing what I did. THat is without trying to think about it. people say it goes away in time and I am hoping it does. does anyone have this happen, kinda like an accident you see is going to happen you cant look away, well I cant turn my brain off from the accident.
I hate sitting around and having to have just about everything done for me it drives me nuts as I am an active person who never sits still. My mom has had to come stay with me during the week so she is during the day while my husband is at work becsue i cant be alone. the pain is hard to gt used to it is constant as soon a the pain killers wear off there it is. I am finding i am only sleeping in 2 hr increments. Does any one have any tips on how you are supposed to sleep while being so uncomfortable????
this is going to be a long recovery 3-6 months off work my doctor has told me. That part is hard too I am a daycare teacher and 3-6 months is a long time in the life of a presechooler.
I keep getting leg rubs to help witht he pain and throbing and physio started last week so I have muscle clenches I have to do which I do often throughout the long days!! any tips would be great from thos ewho have alrady travelled this road 'cause I am just at the start of the long road!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 06:57 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
My experience is nothing like yours but I will share the mental aspect of my 'break' with you. I slipped on the ice and broke my ankle...actually the two bones in you leg both snapped where it holds your foot in place. Odly...there was no pain, no swelling, at the time of the break and the many hours I waited in the hospital emergency room waiting for the only orthopaedist is our small town.

For the first few weeks after surgery, I had an immense fear of falling to the point that I could barely stand on crutches assisted. When lying on a bed...I felt like I was lying on the outside window sill of a window on the top of the Empire State Bldg. I would break out in a sweat when I had follow up visits and had to lie on a table at the Doctor's office. I did all my house work from a wheel chair..I had two small kids and my husband was a long distance trucker....there was no one who could tay with me. I carried laundry while hoisting myself up and down the stairs on my rear. I cooked, vaccuumed, did laundry...all from a wheel chair. As far as your mind giving you those flash backs...once you can get out a little in public, it will get better. Motorized wheel chairs were a blessing at the grocery store!
It took me years to be able to walk down a flight of stairs without holding onto someone AND a railing. 10 years later I give a 'test' step on every surface I step my foot on. Getting out of the car....I swish my foot to see if it's slippery....walking and there is a patch of 'wet' ahead and it is hovering around 30 degrees...I swish my foot on the wet spot.
My ankle healed fine...I can and do everything with it. The only thing I'm afraid to do is ice skate or walk on ice. All the rest of the stuff is mental. I am very cautious. Don't want it to happen again. But I don't let it get in the way of anything. I wish I had the nerve to ice skate though.

As far as your long road.....do your therapy...a lot. My recovery time was much quicker than what I was told, although I did limp for about a year.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:06 AM

2 posts, read 25,656 times
thank you for your note. IT is good too hear that I am not the only one who is scared after my accident. I will keep doing my physio, I have to get out of this bed!!! I know that as we all work full time we wish for days in bed but not that has come true I dont like it one bit, I want out of bed. I know I will eventually be back to normal but wow what a long road to recovery.
I know the first iem I ski again I am going ot be terrified but you have to take that leap and try it.
thanks again for your advice, i had sprained my ankle badly last year with a fall down the stairs and I do the step check now too to make sure the ground is really there under my feet especially on the stairs so I guess it is normal must be the way our brains are wired!
take care!

Old 01-20-2009, 12:15 PM

175 posts, read 741,256 times
Hang in there - it does get better with time. I broke both my tibia and fibula in November, and am the proud owner of a metal plate and six screws in my right leg. The first week or two after the operation the pain was horrible and I couldn't leave the couch. I kept reliving the fall over and over again, even in my sleep, and it was horrible. It was certainly not as horrifying as yours - I slipped on ice - but it does stop with time. I still remember it, but it isn't as haunting as it was. I'm still very paranoid of ice and slipping, but living in PA, it's something I have to deal with.

Find things to do to occupy your time right now. Crossword puzzles, good books, movies, online chat - whatever you can do. I think the biggest thing that I had to learn is that it's okay to ask for help. Just rest up now - if you push yourself too soon it won't heal right and you'll be laid up longer.

I'm still not able to bear weight on my leg, but am hoping that my next appointment (on the 28th) gives me the green light. I miss walking - and driving!

If you want more stories and more support, check out this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/healt...lower-leg.html

It's filled with stories of people with broken legs - and gives some great ideas and tips on getting through the first few weeks. It helped me greatly when I got home from the hospital, and still gives me the encouragement I need. I hope it does the same for you.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 11,045 times
[FONT=Verdana]I fractured my femur in about 3 places! The surgery was 5 hours. I am living in Peru and have no bloody idea what they did.. no one will tell me! Can you believe it!!! I specifically asked the doc and surgeon in charge to show me my X-rays and they refused! What century is it here? So I know practically nothing. I have a PhD and worked in our med school state side and this is how we are treated here. The surgeon actually pinched my cheek and called me "a good girl"! I would have kicked him, but couldn't move. Now I'm home and been searching the net for advice... nothing of any substance. Just a lot of people bitching about how much it hurts. I did not get any pain meds for 5 hours after the fracture... was moved numerous times and finally ended up in a reasonable hospital.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I can't get around very well and am going nuts here. Does anyone out there have any sound advice, other than go home, my job is here... as to what to do? My foot is swelling in the afternoon/evenings. I contacted the bloody American embassy and they told me 3 weeks ago they had sent my request for info to the proper channels! That was the last I heard from them! [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]So basically I'm screwed unless I can get some modern medical advice! Any one got anything definitive information they can post?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Angharad[/FONT]
[FONT=Chaparral Pro][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 10-27-2010, 07:45 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
I broke my femur in a car accident and had a steel rod slid through it to connect the two halves so they'd heal. No screws, just the rod. It cracked straight through. I also broke my radius, ulna, clavical, and three ribs, loosened my front teeth, split my lip, and there was trauma to my spine that we didn't know about til 15 years later. This was in 1983. Double surgery to do my leg and arm at the same time, plates on each side of my forearm to connect those bones.

I was in CICU for 4 days prior to surgery, and in the hospital for around 2 weeks. Intensive physical therapy for around 6 months, walked with a cane after the first month home because a crutch was just too inconvenient.

Best medical advice I can give you is get yourself some physical therapy once you are well enough to move your leg. In the meantime, make sure you keep your ankle moving..bend back and forth, side to side..keeping the circulation healthy is absolutely imperative. You're gonna be sore for a long time but it'll get easier once you're mobile.

For muscle strain (which you will certainly feel), my ortho surgeon recommended plain ole oil of wintergreen diluted in a mineral oil carrier, available behind the counter but without a prescription, and pretty inexpensive. Be SURE that it's diluted. Pure oil of wintergreen can cause blistering. Keep it away from any incisions, and wash your hands thoroughly after applying it. Apply just a capful to the corner of a washcloth, press it against wherever the muscle pain is, and massage it in firmly but gently. Use it exactly the same way you'd imagine using BenGay or IcyHot. Except it's MUCH stronger.

Try to keep your back limber as well. While you're immoble, you can get very stiff and sore and this can cause damage that isn't anywhere near where you broke your leg. Exercise is key - keeping whatever -can- move - moving.

Once you're in condition where you can actually do some strength-building, join a gym and make use of the machines. Give yourself a good year before you're walking limp-and-pain-free. And at least 4 months before you're ready to walk without support.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:51 AM

1 posts, read 10,588 times
I read all of the comments posted and they are all very helpful as i too am recovering from a broken femur. i am now 5 weeks into recovery. I am back at work and can walk unassisted. However, I do have a walker I use from time to time at home. My problem is not where i have the break, it is actually with my knee. My knee gets very stiff and I work it out as much as I can. Also, I opted not to go to therapy right away. But I have decided I may need to go for a little while. Especially, since my left leg(the one i broke), will not extend all the way. I told my doctor about it and he said it will in time. But for the most part, I am okay. I limp when I walk but that too will correct itself in time. I am just glad to be up and about. I would like to get to a gym and try the treadmill or is it too soon?

Old 05-05-2011, 04:19 AM

1 posts, read 10,458 times
Long story short. Broke my femur in the most remote area of Paraguay south America. Took three days to get to a hospital. I got dragged by horses, rode a mule for 7 hours, rode a motor boat, got carried and trucked and then a single engine cesna. No pain killers til until I got morphine at hospital. Got a rod and three screws that held the bones too far apart for fusion. Four months later had surgery in California and took out two screws from lower half of femur. Six weeks now I'm on a cane. I really hate crutches. Today was first day in a pool, felt great. PT and patience is the only way to go, especially because your knee and hip suffer weakness. Aside from healing a bone you have your whole body to work on because it all gets thrown out of wack. I'm constantly reminded to slow down by my physical therapist and friends because they all know I'm a nut. So I'm learning to slow my roll and stay disciplined with PT. WISH ME LUCK.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 9,808 times
Six weeks into recovery of broken femur. Was in a car accident and airlifted to hospital, were I stayed for one week. Had rod and two screws on hip end, and two screws on knee end of rod. I am getting around with one crutch in the house and two when I go out. Thankfull to be able to drive and get out. Have been going to therapy for three weeks now twice a week. Just doing light biking and stretching. Have been off pain meds for two weeks, but have over done it some days and have had to take one to help pain. Knee and hip still has a fair bit of pain. Seems to be better after I get moving around a bit. Worst in the morning when I get up. Surgeon said that I can slowly start to put full weight on it. Does anyone in week six or seven remember the pain levels. I would estimate pain at a six out of ten. Thanks and hope all to a fast recovery.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:36 AM

2 posts, read 7,697 times
Default pain t 7 weeks

just little but once in s while sitting a big Zing in y Femur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness