Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 12:30 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,003 times

Advertisements

Clumsy of me....... bashed my toes into something.... OWwww I went for x-rays and it's a slight fracture

Has anyone had any experience with a broken toe? What is the prognosis? Any aftermath of pain, loss of function?

From now on, I wear shoes in the house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 12:34 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Clumsy of me....... bashed my toes into something.... OWwww I went for x-rays and it's a slight fracture

Has anyone had any experience with a broken toe? What is the prognosis? Any aftermath of pain, loss of function?

From now on, I wear shoes in the house
I have broken several; there is really nothing that can be done. Take some mild/moderate painkiller and put on those shoes.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:54 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,693 times
I broke my toe several years ago. I wore leather soled stiff shoes until it healed. Hurt like the dickens for several weeks, but I have not had any problems with it since it healed.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:55 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,635 times
Yes, I have broken toes on the sand at the beach. Painful and not much you can do.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:14 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
I had my big toe crushed by a forklift, my mother who's a nurse says to me "they'll just tape it". The Doctor comes in says they have to operate. The one bone was completely fragmented. Small toes are pretty much irrelevant and even if you cut them off it's not much of problem but you can't run without a big toe or do things like push stuff easily. The big toe is actually quite an amazing piece of work when you consider its function. LOL

They put pins in it and wrapped it up with a half cast for four weeks. Hasn't really bothered me in 20 years except it will be the first thing that gets cold if my feet start to get cold in winter weather. The only other thing is it's slightly longer and I have to make sure shoes are not too tight on that foot before purchase.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:28 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,471,504 times
Ouch, coalman! Just reading that made me wince.

I dropped a twenty pound weight on my foot, breaking my big toe. All the doc did for it was pull my toenail off, which was hanging by not much. Talk about clumsy, CIB! Doc told me I was luck because my toenail eventually grew back.

I agree, there's not much one can do, unless like coalman you completely shatter a big toe. Elevate your foot at night and maybe take a mild anti-inflamatory. My broken toe took longer to heal than my broken arm! But they do heal, thank goodness.

Last edited by Wicked Felina; 01-20-2009 at 01:43 PM..

Old 01-20-2009, 01:35 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
Tape it and don't wear shoes as much as possible. You can get one of those velcro booties which I think makes it go away faster.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:41 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
I was lucky that it was summer and warm weather when I broke mine. Walked smack into the couch HARD one night. Hurt like nothing else. I knew it was broken by the looks, pain, bruising but did not go to the doctor. I lived in my sports sandals (a pair kind of like some Teva's) with the velcro strap across the toes. Kept my toes straight and did not have to move it much to walk. Also gave some support and cushion as well. Just having to get dressed up was worse but being summer I could wear nice flat sandals when I had to. PITA!!! For sure.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:05 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Tape it and don't wear shoes as much as possible. You can get one of those velcro booties which I think makes it go away faster.
Bone healing is independent of "velcro booties" so no, those won't make it "go away faster"

OP

Prognosis is excellent for broken toes. As most here have already mentioned not much you have to do. Just comfort measures, stiff soled shoes or sandals to avoid flexion at the forefoot will help with the pain.

Like most fractures, bone healing takes about 6 weeks ( +/- couple weeks ) but you should notice significant reduction in pain within a couple of weeks as the bone begins to heal...

Old 01-20-2009, 05:22 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,986 times
I've broken a few small toes at various points... the swelling will go down in a week, and you'll be back to normal in a few weeks. They are quite painful, though! Ouch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness