Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 06:52 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times

Advertisements

The science is moving forward.

First Embryonic Stem-Cell Trial Gets Approval From the FDA - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 05:31 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,584,573 times
Wow! my biology professor was commenting at the end of the last semester about Europeans being the ones investigating stem cells. Science moving forward indeed! How interesting!

Banning investigation for (quoting your news) "religious reasons"... Grmpff...!! (just my two humble and ignorant cents. I understand it's controversial but anyway... )

Old 01-24-2009, 04:29 AM

Yeap and not just for spinal cord but possibly for Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, ALS, Muscular Dystrophy, Leukemia, Auto immune disorders and regrowing aged or damaged organs etc....

Old 01-24-2009, 04:53 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
I can't even begin to articulate just how exciting it was to see this is FINALLY moving along again without being stymied by ignorance.

I figure there's going to be enough drama just getting the funding and the research done, to finally have it begin is just too wonderful for words really.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:45 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,584,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
to finally have it begin is just too wonderful for words really.
Absolutely! Never ending posibilities!

Old 01-25-2009, 01:38 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,970,177 times
The important piece that keeps getting missed is that this still falls under current (Bush) regulations. It was privately funded and met the FDA regulations already in place and are not a result of any change in attitude or leadership.

Hopefully we will have renewed federal funding and increased incentives to research such topics. Ethical considerations are very important, but stopping such a promising field of reasearch completely is equally unresponsible. There are so many benefits to the technology that we should continue to pursue it to see if there are viable results.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:06 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
Yeah, as far as I know, the ban only had to do with funding for embryonic research. Since then, it looks like there's been a lot of research on adult stem cells which has bridged the gap between ADCs and ESCs, which may have just about made the embryonic approach obsolete.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:10 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
Absolutely! Never ending posibilities!
It's great news, isn't it?

Not that I'm wishing for the 10 people or how ever many they said to be suffering spinal injury but if it works just how fantastic will that be? And all the other diseases and injuries. I can't wait till we start seeing the outcomes. I really think this looks like such a great treatment option.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Yeah, as far as I know, the ban only had to do with funding for embryonic research. Since then, it looks like there's been a lot of research on adult stem cells which has bridged the gap between ADCs and ESCs, which may have just about made the embryonic approach obsolete.
Oh yeah it's been moving forward in all areas.

Stem Cell Research News

Old 01-26-2009, 01:12 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,970,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
It's great news, isn't it?

Not that I'm wishing for the 10 people or how ever many they said to be suffering spinal injury but if it works just how fantastic will that be? And all the other diseases and injuries. I can't wait till we start seeing the outcomes. I really think this looks like such a great treatment option.

It would be great if there is a benefit, but the study is not expecting one. This is a very low dose, first attempt just to see if there are any negative side effects. It would be a great result if it just shows that there are no dangers to the treatment.

Of course, they will be monitored and given physical therapy and such. It would be amazing and some are hoping that there is some improvement or return of sensation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness