Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 02:07 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times

Advertisements

Can't afford to have tests done but a few months ago I had an incident; I was standing up talking on the phone when I suddenly felt this strange sensation in my chest, similar to flutters but much stronger and slightly different, but flutters is the only way I can really describe it. It went on for about 5 seconds when I suddenly felt myself passing out. I bent down to prevent myself from falling and just when everything got black, it stopped. My brother says he caught me and I did pass out but I don't recall that. After, I felt the slightest pain in the center of my chest but it was more discomfort than pain.

Anyway, I've been getting the flutters ever since. Yesterday, I had them for 3 hours straight. Just moments ago I was laughing at something on this site when I felt them again real strong--like the day I nearly passed out--and I almost passed out this time.

Has anyone been tested for something like this? Did it turn out to be nothing? Was the testing costly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 02:32 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Well its cheaper than a funeral! And cheaper to make an appointment that be billed ER prices. It costs you a grand just to walk in the door in some places. Not to mention the ambulance ride. Which is usually another 1000.

I would just go get a check up. Thats not normal in any way or fashion. People dont just fall victim to "the vapors".

Old 01-21-2009, 02:39 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
We've recently--like millions of others--fallen on hard times. I can't even afford the sliding-fee clinic right now. I'll go in as soon as things pick up, in the meantime, I'm wondering how often this turns out to be nothing. I'm told it's often by one person who's had it.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:02 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,681,822 times
Get to a dr please. I had the same problems and was initally diagnosed with Syncope from Menieres disease by a doctor that only saw me for thirty seconds. Went to another, who I am still with ten years later, and he sent me right away to a Cardiologist. Turns out it was my heart, not Menieres disease after all. I ended up having a few minor surgeries and am fine now. My best friend had the same problem and it turned out she just had arrhythimia which was controlled by medication.

Don't wait. Your health is the most important thing you have. Good luck!

Old 01-21-2009, 03:08 PM

9,631 posts, read 819,989 times
you just need to eat and schedule your working day

Old 01-21-2009, 03:09 PM

Kathleen, thank you for responding, do you mind telling me how you got your doctor to do anything or believe you? My last doctor appointment was two days after that first incident and when I mentioned it to him, he just listened to my heart with the steth and said everything sounds fine so I let it go too. I know if you get pushy with them they just write in your chart that you're a difficult patient or something (I know, I worked with docs one on one for five years).

Old 01-21-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasa View Post
you just need to eat and schedule your working day
That doesn't make any sense. I have a strict diet and working schedule that I do stick to. How could you surmise otherwise? Just curious.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:31 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,681,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
Kathleen, thank you for responding, do you mind telling me how you got your doctor to do anything or believe you? My last doctor appointment was two days after that first incident and when I mentioned it to him, he just listened to my heart with the steth and said everything sounds fine so I let it go too. I know if you get pushy with them they just write in your chart that you're a difficult patient or something (I know, I worked with docs one on one for five years).

I ended up changing doctors because I know my body and knew it was something more than an inner ear problem. Especially after I fainted in a Publix and twice on an elevator. If your doctor is not taking you seriously than you really need to find another. The doctor who blew me off was known as a jerk and spent most of his time yakking about a celebrity patient he had instead of dealing with all of this other patients.

Please keep on top of this and find someone else to see. Can you make an appointment with a cardiologist without a referral from your regular doc? If so you may want to go that route. Keep us posted and good luck! I will say a blessing for you.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:20 PM

Thank you, Kathleen. What a scary situation. I've dreaded doing that in public so I've pretty much stayed home since it started. It's not like it happens all the time but I don't know what it is or if it's progressing. I've met many of those jerk doctors, both professionally and personally. Not fun.

I just came in to give an update. I went to a community health clinic last night and the doctor spent about 45 minutes with me. I think that's the longest appointment I've ever had. He asked a lot of questions, examined me and did an ekg. He said that came out ok but he's recommending me to a cardiologist and would like to see me get a halter monitor for one week. I feel like I saw a good doctor. I wish I could keep him but I think it was just a fill-in thing or something for me to establish myself there. Anyway, he put me on blood pressure medicine. Thank you for taking the time to talk to me and share your experiences. I appreciate it.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:31 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Im glad you went!

You could always ask for the doctor's name and normal hospital for later on.
Good luck with the HM week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness