Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 01:15 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times

Advertisements

I actually think it hurts the people who are left behind byt he person who has passed.

Now. I do think the dying process was very painful for my mother who had 5 types of cancer ravaging through her body. The last moth of her life she was in such pain that she finally went into a comatose state.

Yes, it hurt me when both my parents died. I imagine they were both in pain leading to their deaths. I really do not think at the moment of their passing that they were in any pain.

I think the Lord above called them home and their pain was gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 08:01 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Actually, bleeding to death from internal injuries doesn't have to hurt.
I'm glad to hear this. It makes me less afraid of dying.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:02 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
But dying in a violent manner must be totally different. Drowning, burning, or suffocating cannot be pleasant. A struggle until the end.
But I am not sure that it feels as terrible as it looks. Sometimes the terror comes afterwards in the form of post traumatic stress. Like they say, "I didn't have time to be afraid." Maybe. I'm just guessing.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:15 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
I would say google some nde forums and read about peoples experiences. I was really into reading them a while back and it really eases your mind about death. Right now it hurts more to be alive in this economy LOL.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:46 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
It amazes me that we are so humane that we put down our animals when they are suffering, yet humans are forced to suffer through very painful illnesses. Given the prognosis of terminal-I prefer to be put to sleep when my pain becomes unbearable. It really should be my choice.
Reading books about the afterlife helped me. May not help others. George Anderson's books are wonderful and inspirational.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:20 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,084 times
Exactly. I believe Oregon has the "right to die" law currently in action. Basically, if you are terminally ill, you can hire a physician to end your life if you yourself can't actually go through with it. Makes sense. Why this isn't common everywhere, who knows.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:38 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
thanks! Good to know the state law. One can hope is becomes more commonplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
Exactly. I believe Oregon has the "right to die" law currently in action. Basically, if you are terminally ill, you can hire a physician to end your life if you yourself can't actually go through with it. Makes sense. Why this isn't common everywhere, who knows.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:14 AM
ino

680 posts, read 2,498,770 times
All things considered, human beings would be the lowest form of animal life, and it should be remembered that for all the talk among those who consider suffering should not be prolonged blah blah etc etc, who are the organisations that are most *against* the right to die? I've earnt the right to die with dignity regardless, and will grab the opportunity if/when necessary, and I'd be glad to have an audience with the 'main man' some believe exists after my passing, in fact I'll be looking forward to it when that day comes and I won't be waiting for an invitation either, I'll simply announce myself.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:22 AM

746 posts, read 3,498,642 times
I suspect that the fear of dying is more upsetting than death itself. Those with cancer, emphysema, fatal burns etc. will often welcome it in lieu of the pain these things cause.

Quote:
Cowards die a thousand deaths. The valiant taste of death but once. Shakespeare
These days Hospice workers have helped make dying as painless and peaceful as possible. But in exchange for all those pain medications you have to accept a lower awareness, or none at all, in the final days. A faustian bargain IMHO.

Quote:
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Then there is the question of who is more accepting and peaceful at the end, the believer or the atheist.

I know my sister made my brothers end a living hell as she emotionally battered him to accept her religion. He was in her home to die, and had no escape. I told him to just agree with her, it would shut her up and make things easier, but he preferred to remain true to himself.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:07 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
When my wife died suddenly and unexpectedly from a burst brain aneurism, I heard a loud moan from the upstairs bedroom and went to make sure she was okay. I was all set to tell her she scared me as I turned into the doorway, but the look of extreme terror on her face immediately told me she was dead. It bothers me to this day, nearly 13 years later.

It must have come to her in at least a couple stages, as I'd heard her moan a few minutes earlier, but I figured one of the cats had done something. She had left the bathroom, where she'd run a bath and was reading a book, put on her "proper" cotton night gown (which she'd previously only worn for overnight stays with my parents), and climbed into bed.

I don't know how much pain was involved, but I saw the terror on her face, and I've seen it in my mind thousands of times since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness