Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 06:14 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,982,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDU View Post
the lives that some of us live...maybe living hurts worse than dying
I've thought the same thing.

Like everyone else said, it depends on several factors such as how you die, and if the person was heavily medicated at the time of death. My mom went in her sleep, can't get much better than that. This kinda stuff does creep me out though, and while I understand aging and wondering more about dying, try not to get obsessed over it. There's a lot to be said for living one day at a time, just wish I was better at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 06:58 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,652,838 times
Depends, of course on how you die. My mother died in bed in the wee hours of the morning, from heart failure. I like to think that she didn't suffer.

Shakespeare wrote:

"To die, to sleep-/No more." But he was troubled that there might not be peace even in death. "For in that sleep of death what dreams may come, /When we have shuffled off this mortal coil, /Must give us pause."

Me? I like to think that our deaths are like dreams, only ones we don't awake from....

To die. To sleep. Perchance to dream.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:05 AM

610 posts, read 1,295,287 times
I've heard that the theoretically most painful way to die is for astronauts to have their suits and flesh pierced by small stones, because they would actually get to feel both their blood being sucked out into the vacuum while also feeling it freeze up the vains for a minute or so before losing concience and die.

I think our instinct to stay alive will make any kind of death while awake an unpleasant one, but I don't think phycal pain is the bigger deal in most cases.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:07 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,034,303 times
It was very peaceful and glorious. For some odd reason, I came back though. Not scared now because it is wonderful!

Old 02-17-2011, 03:24 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,696,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
It was very peaceful and glorious. For some odd reason, I came back though. Not scared now because it is wonderful!
I've read about your surgical experience on another thread.

Can you describe more fully what happened to you and how it felt to "die?"

Old 02-17-2011, 11:05 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,034,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I've read about your surgical experience on another thread.

Can you describe more fully what happened to you and how it felt to "die?"
I "knew" I was going to die because I heard someone say I "didn't have a pulse" and saw the blood bags over my head. I asked the doctor if I was going to die and she looked horrified. I then saw my life flash before me quickly and then on to the light. It was the most peaceful, glorious feeling. There was no anxiety, no negativity, nothing bad, only good. It was glorious! It felt so great I didn't want to come back and I have a lot to live for! I feel like God has a purpose for me on this earth. There is something left for me to do before it's my time.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:34 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,696,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
I "knew" I was going to die because I heard someone say I "didn't have a pulse" and saw the blood bags over my head. I asked the doctor if I was going to die and she looked horrified. I then saw my life flash before me quickly and then on to the light. It was the most peaceful, glorious feeling. There was no anxiety, no negativity, nothing bad, only good. It was glorious! It felt so great I didn't want to come back and I have a lot to live for! I feel like God has a purpose for me on this earth. There is something left for me to do before it's my time.
Thanks for responding. Can't say I'm looking forward to it, but you make it sound....good.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:44 PM

874 posts, read 1,647,934 times
It depends on the death. If it seems violent then that person might be in shock, thus not feel much pain.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:50 PM

13,609 posts, read 10,018,851 times
I’ve been really close on a number of occasions, and none were nice.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:05 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,307,854 times
It depends on how you die... I've seen many people die and sometimes the process is very uncomfortable (anything related to lack of oxygen, sudden blood loss, infection, or traumatic injury). Sometimes they just drift off unknowingly (toxins, renal failure, brain cancer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness