Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 09:41 PM

133 posts, read 498,261 times

Advertisements

I went to the doctor today to talk about getting on Birth Control. I've been reading up on it online the past few months and found some pretty cool stuff. After I got home (and still undecided as to what type would work best for me), I looked again online and found something on an implant that goes in the arm called Implanon. It doesn't show up on a lot of "compare birth control" type websites and the doctor didn't mention it at all. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm assuming its relatively new if it's not included in many of the websites. I saw a few of them mentioned Norplant (which I understand was taken off the market several years ago), but nothing on Implanon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 06:31 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michimaize View Post
I went to the doctor today to talk about getting on Birth Control. I've been reading up on it online the past few months and found some pretty cool stuff. After I got home (and still undecided as to what type would work best for me), I looked again online and found something on an implant that goes in the arm called Implanon. It doesn't show up on a lot of "compare birth control" type websites and the doctor didn't mention it at all. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm assuming its relatively new if it's not included in many of the websites. I saw a few of them mentioned Norplant (which I understand was taken off the market several years ago), but nothing on Implanon.

I've been up all night. My sister had a bad reaction to her new birth control last night. They also found many pre-cancer cells. The doctor said there is a "good chance" the cells are from the birth control. I'm a believer that synthetic hormones are NO GOOD!!!! There are safe alternatives.

The diaphram is the best. I use it. Please reasearch the synthetic hormones before you possible hurt your body.

I know it sounds simple, but it is just not good for you.

Birth Control Pill Linked to Two Types of Cancer - Articles

You said you wanted to compare? Here is an overview of many types of birth control. They are compared as well.

Birth Control Overview

If you are going to take a pill, my doctor recommends the "mini pill," it doesn't have estrogen in it. Do we really need MORE synthetic hormones in our bodies????

Good luck to you. Please research. This is one of the most important decisions you can make for you and your future. It can affect your fertilily and your health in general. Yes, birth control CAN be "kindof" safe I guess, but it's not natural and it confuses your body.

Progestogen only pill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-28-2009, 06:40 AM

973 posts, read 3,304,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michimaize View Post
I have no experience w/ Implanon but used the Norplant. It left a scar on my arm when it was removed. Scar tissue forms around the implant so it won't move around which is why it was so difficult to take out. It also pressed on nerves in my arm and I had some minor discomfort on a regular basis which is why I wanted it out.

Look into the Mirena IUD.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:38 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,264,498 times
I'm kinda with you, miasmommy. There can be side effects to a lot of these options. I initially quit taking oral contraceptives when I was newly married because I didn't want the side effects. ( Later I decided I didn't want to use them because it is thought that sometimes they can also act in an "abortifacient" way by not allowing the fertilized egg to implant. For that reason, the pill and the IUD were morally unacceptable to me.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness