U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 12:55 PM

973 posts, read 3,078,444 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Over the last two years, I have seen a steady decline in the appearance of my nails. Peeling, splitting, breaking and vertical ridges.

It started with my thumbs and has started to slowly progress to the other nails. Now my toenails appear to be getting vertical ridges and break easily. I tend to keep my nails trimmed short so it's not as if I have talons.

I've made improvements to my diet and take vitamins and the problem persists. I seldom paint my nails and I do not wear fake nails.

I've brought it to the attention of my doctor twice and he has run numerous blood tests and can't find anything to indicate a serious underlying health issue.

Has anyone else experienced this??

Is it age related? I've heard our nail's get weaker as we age but I'm only 42.

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 02:58 PM

8,415 posts, read 36,899,038 times
That does happen naturally with age. But there can be other reasons. I really like this page:
Nail Diseases and Disorders

It has all the reasons with photos and little write ups. If its just the dry thing..I got a tin of that Burt's Bees lemon cuticle cream to fight that and its working really well. Plus it smells like fresh lemonade..reminds me of summer.

When you file your nails do you do it all one direction? Sawing back and forth or making too pointed of a tip will make them split/brittle.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:16 PM

244 posts, read 651,506 times
I'm 22 and my nails are like this. I take a multi-vitamin, but a co-worker has suggested a calcium supplement as well. Calcium supplement at 22? Crazy. In the past I did take a special hair, skin, and nail vitamin called Dermavite that my dermatologist recommended(for my skin). It contains calcium, zinc, and folic acid to name a few. Here's the link: Amazon.com: DermaVite Dietary Supplement Healthy Skin (60 tablets): Beauty (http://www.amazon.com/DermaVite-Dietary-Supplement-Healthy-tablets/dp/B0000Y3G1G - broken link)

As I am writing this, I don't know why I don't take these anymore. I think I might make it out to the health food store. haha. Good Luck!

Old 01-28-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
That does happen naturally with age. But there can be other reasons. I really like this page:
Nail Diseases and Disorders

It has all the reasons with photos and little write ups. If its just the dry thing..I got a tin of that Burt's Bees lemon cuticle cream to fight that and its working really well. Plus it smells like fresh lemonade..reminds me of summer.

When you file your nails do you do it all one direction? Sawing back and forth or making too pointed of a tip will make them split/brittle.
That was a very interesting article and some of those pictures were something else. Whew!!! I may just be dealing with old, brittle nails judging from the photos and descriptions. Thanks for sending the link!

Old 01-28-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resilientsmile View Post
I'm 22 and my nails are like this. I take a multi-vitamin, but a co-worker has suggested a calcium supplement as well. Calcium supplement at 22? Crazy. In the past I did take a special hair, skin, and nail vitamin called Dermavite that my dermatologist recommended(for my skin). It contains calcium, zinc, and folic acid to name a few. Here's the link: Amazon.com: DermaVite Dietary Supplement Healthy Skin (60 tablets): Beauty (http://www.amazon.com/DermaVite-Dietary-Supplement-Healthy-tablets/dp/B0000Y3G1G - broken link)

As I am writing this, I don't know why I don't take these anymore. I think I might make it out to the health food store. haha. Good Luck!
I have a couple very good quality vitamins I take, including calcium and a B complex for skin, hair and nails. I may add Iron and Zinc to the line-up though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness